John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Huge credit to McGinn. He has been great so far this campaign. I do think it helps massively that he isn't doing the job of 2 covering for Barkley or an out of form Douglas. 

Until we get a poor performance I think we have to stick with a midfield 3. It's been the strongest part of our starting 11 so far. 

Has started the season well, only issue is whenever he scores we always seem to lose. Off the top of my head, Wolves and Watford this season, Palace and City last season, Spurs andArsenal the season before. I think the only time he has scored in the Prem and we’ve won was that 7-2 annihilation of Plop.

33 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Has started the season well, only issue is whenever he scores we always seem to lose. Off the top of my head, Wolves and Watford this season, Palace and City last season, Spurs andArsenal the season before. I think the only time he has scored in the Prem and we’ve won was that 7-2 annihilation of Plop.

Your only issue? Is this something you would like John to work on?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Your only issue? Is this something you would like John to work on?

Yeah when he's about to score square it so someone else can tap it in. (Yes I know he scores a lot of thunderbastard type goals). This way we're guaranteed to win. Easy. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Yeah when he's about to score square it so someone else can tap it in. (Yes I know he scores a lot of thunderbastard type goals). This way we're guaranteed to win. Easy. 

I think SJM has more creativity than that, he can use the posts and crossbar…thunderbolt the shot, hit one of those at the right angle so it bounces off, hits the goalie and goes in off the goalkeeper and classed as an own goal.  Should be simple for him.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not only is SJM the heart of our midfield but his stats for this season look like a heart(ish)

Actually looks more like a heart than the heart shape everyone associates a heart with. Even got a meaty aorta coming out the top.

Great to have the good John back. Agree it's too do with playing him in the right position, having wing backs to support the midfield, and having an in form Dougie alongside. Be interesting to see if his form continues if/when we revert back to 4-3-3...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not only is SJM the heart of our midfield but his stats for this season look like a heart(ish)

It seems that we're pretty low down in tackling stakes this season - that's not a slight on McGinn, merely a style observation - as our top two tacklers are Cash and McGinn, both averaging 2.1 per game, which is joint 44th. I wonder if that's a conscious effort to be a team that doesn't get stuck in but pressures more to force errors? 

The blue in the corner is literally just him shielding the ball using his arse. Even the way the line fades towards the corner reminds me of how he runs. Really unique player to be honest

Edited by samjp26

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It seems that we're pretty low down in tackling stakes this season - that's not a slight on McGinn, merely a style observation - as our top two tacklers are Cash and McGinn, both averaging 2.1 per game, which is joint 44th. I wonder if that's a conscious effort to be a team that doesn't get stuck in but pressures more to force errors? 

Whose knows, I take individual stats these days with a pinch of salt to be honest because it sometimes gives a false impression or gives the impression the narrator is trying to put across in their narrative.  From xG to tackles, it's just a stat that needs to be taken in context with all the other stats and not just in isolation.  It's a useful tool for coaches but I think fans overuse them to push their narratives.

Â