John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Staggering! McGinn has played brilliantly in loads of games this season, then he has an off night playing out of position, when Luiz and lots of others were also poor and suddenly he is crap. Mind boggling.

I wouldn't sell but I would be considering and scouting player that can replace him. 29 now. We are looking to play at an even higher level going forward, so it would be remiss to not have a plan regarding his replacement. 

That said I think he has 4 season left to give us, but 2 of them probably as a squad player than first team regular. He has so much to give, and and we love him. So I'll be a sad day when he does eventually leave.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I wouldn't sell but I would be considering and scouting player that can replace him. 29 now. We are looking to play at an even higher level going forward, so it would be remiss to not have a plan regarding his replacement. 

That said I think he has 4 season left to give us, but 2 of them probably as a squad player than first team regular. He has so much to give, and and we love him. So I'll be a sad day when he does eventually leave.

I definitely agree with that and would guess it’s on Monchi’s list. Too early to be certain but I don’t think Tim is going to be anything other than a squad player and as time passes, McGinn will struggle to maintain his high energy game (in fairness he does now at times) but for me he is still a game changer who can see a pass that others can’t. Thursday illustrated that…, everytime Luiz got the ball he seemed incapable of playing a significant forward pass and slowed it down, whereas McGinn was always trying to get us forward quickly which in fairness led to some of his misplaced passes.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I think it's fair to say he's exhausted.

Drop him? OK for who? Haven't you noticed we don't have Kamara, Tielemans, now Rogers.

He has to play as we have nobody else. That's why we are losing.

Mentally and physically have reached the limit

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Would never have known he was playing today, awful 

Oh he f**ked up enough up for me to know he was playing 

Edited by villanmac

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Drop him? OK for who? Haven't you noticed we don't have Kamara, Tielemans, now Rogers.

Maybe but simply he just can't play that position and he's never been able to. He never gets on the ball there and when he does he generally just wallops it.

That's on Unai now. 

• Like 1

I keep saying it, he's not a CM and can't play there. Not got the awareness or ability to do that role, put him back to RM and put Tim in there. We are killing multiple players by trying to force the ones we've got available into different positions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

why are we making exhaustion excuses.

The guy was banned for 3 games recently, he had a good break, no way is he exhausted.

The issue for me is Luiz and McGinn dont work as a midfield together, and without a DM covering them, neither work well in a midfield 2.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

why are we making exhaustion excuses.

The guy was banned for 3 games recently, he had a good break, no way is he exhausted.

The issue for me is Luiz and McGinn dont work as a midfield together, and without a DM covering them, neither work well in a midfield 2.

Who do you suggest plays there now then?

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Who do you suggest plays there now then?

no idea, maybe Timmy just sitting there as a dedicated DM, would allow McGinn and Luiz to do what they do best, right now McGinn and Luiz are limited in central midfield by lack of cover for them, and its not working.

The worst that can happen is we lose, and we are already doing that recently with McGinn and Luiz as the midfield 2.

I really love mcginn but he’s really not good enough. He gives the ball away so much. For where we want to be we need to replace him. 

• Haha 1

Â