18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

I thought we were going up this season with the way we started under Smith. I'm not sure anymore as the outcomes that we need for promotion are coming few and far between.

14 games to go and we need to close a 7 point gap whilst hoping a number of teams don't also accumulate points that will keep us from ascending into the top 6. It'll be tough.

We looked like a team that was destined to compete for promotion from Smith's first game through 'til the Stoke/Leeds performances. That's as recent as 10 games ago.

Admittedly I haven't been able to watch every match like I had been doing, since the draw at home to QPR I'm not able to comment on what's changed or what needs to change.

Still not counting us out of the promotion race yet. As I said, it was only 10 games ago we were league leaders and on course. Rekindling that form isn't impossible.

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can you believe these people on FB?!?

"It would be bad if we got promoted as we would come straight back down... We need to rebuild the squad before we get promoted"

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They are probably only 16 year olds who are used to playing Fifa etc.

Pretty much this, they think you can just reset or restart the season with the same finances etc.

This summer is going to get one of rebuilding anyway, so much better to be doing it in the prem and attracting higher calibre players that we can afford in accordance with ffp. Otherwise we'll be building a championship team again and will need to offload if we go up.

9 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It's alright for some isn't it! 

In our last game we had a non goal awarded against us AND a Penalty not given for us lol! ;)

Tbh we could have had 2 or 3 awarded before the one that was.

The ref was just dogshit all game.

I don't think any of us have much hope of promotion for this season so all I'm really hoping for now is for those who want to stay to show their true selves and play wholeheartedly. I don't want this season petering out because the gap is too big and the lazy buggers in the squad can't be bothered. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Its all refs in this league

Referees full stop.

Don't often watch non-Championship games on TV but when I do the refs aren't much better if at all.

Yet I've seen some very competent referees at Western League level (9th tier).

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We need to win more imo as teams above and around will not be dropping points jn a hurry.

though not sure we will be challenging but with a close league I expect points to be lower this year as teams around us are constantly playing each other

• Like 1