18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Just now, LondonVillian said:

Confirmed Fact

Mate...........

I agree with you that the play offs are not going to be happening, I was also in agreement with you when you originally posted that the play offs isn't happening.

I really don't want to re-post the definition of 'fact'. Its still not a fact. 

We are potentially 10 points off play offs. There is still 42 points to play for. Its not yet a fact, just a high possibility. Come back to me in 6 games time and then we can agree its a fact.  

2 minutes ago, Merson08 said:

Mate...........

I agree with you that the play offs are not going to be happening, I was also in agreement with you when you originally posted that the play offs isn't happening.

I really don't want to re-post the definition of 'fact'. Its still not a fact. 

We are potentially 10 points off play offs. There is still 42 points to play for. Its not yet a fact, just a high possibility. Come back to me in 6 games time and then we can agree its a fact.  

this is the problem. 42 points to play for..its all about coming to the table & doing it,delivering ,performing, this set of players have not got the minerals to do it.

brentford out punched,out classed & beat villa to the punch .

i would bet the same posts will be put up on here this time next year with smith in charge.

were all have our view on it but DS was a gamble, its clear its not working -fact- look at performance & table.

its all about levels,its just how it is..you excited about next year under DS? 

JUST GET BIG SAM IN ASAP , HE WOULD GET VILLA UP..LEVELS 

• Like 1

Rename the thread to the 20/21 Race for Promotion and lock it for 18 months.

I know we're technically not out of the race but it would take a Fulham style winning run of last season to do it and we're a million miles off that.

What's worse is that next season will be one of transition, so it's unlikely then either.  Other than Kalinic, McGinn, a hopefully rejuvenated Chester and probably Guilbert, none of the current 1st team are either good enough or going to be here next season.  That amount of change never bodes well in the short term.

4 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

this is the problem. 42 points to play for..its all about coming to the table & doing it,delivering ,performing, this set of players have not got the minerals to do it.

brentford out punched,out classed & beat villa to the punch .

i would bet the same posts will be put up on here this time next year with smith in charge.

were all have our view on it but DS was a gamble, its clear its not working -fact- look at performance & table.

its all about levels,its just how it is..you excited about next year under DS? 

JUST GET BIG SAM IN ASAP , HE WOULD GET VILLA UP..LEVELS 

I agree with almost all you say except Allardyce. He would get Villa up a level than they currently are, but that shouldn't be hard. Allardyce is similar to Bruce except he makes Bruce's signings look like there youngsters.

Allardyce's Bolton team would send shudders down the back of many Villa fans. Ivan Campo, Youri Djorkaeff, Fernando Hierro, Michael Salgado, Jay Jay Okocha, Eidur Gudjohnson and Nicholas Anelka.

Actually the more I look at his signings, the more appealing it looks haha.

It would be like Villa signing Ramos* in 2 seasons, Kroos* or Benzema*.

*Purely speculation we may or may not be linked with these players if Sam Allardyce was hired.  

All this talk about being "so many points off the playoffs, and so many points still left to play for".....yes that is a fact

Another fact is that the way we are playing over the last few weeks means that the above fact is irrelevent as we will not pick up these points as we are rubbish and the teams above us are better than us.

Del

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I've said it before but we gave up the season and any hope of the play off's when we didn't address the full back situation in January.

What we are seeing and have been seeing for a while now is/was highly predictable.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

All this talk about being "so many points off the playoffs, and so many points still left to play for".....yes that is a fact

Correct. This is a fact

37 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Another fact is that the way we are playing over the last few weeks means that the above fact is irrelevent as we will not pick up these points as we are rubbish and the teams above us are better than us.

This is not a fact. This is an opinion. It's highly likely sure, and it's an opinion I agree with, but it's not a fact. 

Think of buying a lottery ticket. It's highly unlikely that you'll win, but it's not a fact until it actually happens/doesn't happen 

• Like 1

Weedman,

I think there is more chance of me winning the lottery than Villa getting promoted this season in my opinion...ok its not a fact until its mathematically impossible that we cannot go up, but I take your point.

Its so frustrating for all of us that the Aston Villa team we support through thick and thin currently seem unable to play football at the most basic skill level - and this has been the case not just recently but for many years, apart from the odd game, most games have been dire. Perhaps we should be renamed as Aston Inconsistant Villa, or Aston Consistantly Poor Villa.

Regards

Del

I've remained optimistic that things will eventually turn and we will go on a run, but after the last two games, I just can't see that happening. Maybe if and when Grealish is back things might change, but it shouldn't be about one player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hippo said:

The Season before he arrived at Brentford they finished 5th. 

He has been a manager since 2011 - every season his finishing position his mid table. 

while thats technically true but Smith didnt take over directly after that season, he came in mid-season after they lost 15 million worth of talent in summer window before Smith came in

also 5th is Brentford highest finish in 70 years so its like Leicester fans having a go at managers for not challenging for title

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Weedman,

I think there is more chance of me winning the lottery than Villa getting promoted this season in my opinion...ok its not a fact until its mathematically impossible that we cannot go up, but I take your point.

Its so frustrating for all of us that the Aston Villa team we support through thick and thin currently seem unable to play football at the most basic skill level - and this has been the case not just recently but for many years, apart from the odd game, most games have been dire. Perhaps we should be renamed as Aston Inconsistant Villa, or Aston Consistantly Poor Villa.

Regards

Del

Oh I agree, it's totally disheartening at the moment, the football is dire - as bad as its been since we were relegated, the results are dire, just about everything is dire right now. Although I'd still say we have more chance of getting top 6 than either of us do of winning the lottery (still buying a ticket mind) 

I was merely being pedantic as people using the word "fact" to describe their opinion which is in no way a fact is a real bug bear of mine

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kiltorken said:

To match last seasons points total we'd need to win 13 of the remaining 14 games. That's depressing. 

Actually I think the automatic promotion will be on 80’s points. 

Its hard to even go to the playoffs not only because of how far are we. Its because of how depressing we are. 

You can’t really think that we could build up form the way we’re playing. But in terms of points everybody are dropping them.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

You can’t really think that we could build up form the way we’re playing. But in terms of points everybody are dropping them.

Not as much as we are doing and have done since late December.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not as much as we are doing and have done since late December.

That was what I’m saying. They dropped and will keep drawing, but its the problem is us not being available to pick up points. Last season we went in some good forms yet it didn’t seem we could catch the three teams above us.

Infact if you look at it a way or another we were 15 points to Leeds when they’ve beaten us, now we’re 17. They haven’t been much better either. 

Anyway we have nothing but hoping. If you look at us before the takeover we were planning to sell Jack and Chester and play kids. Now we’re in a much better situation atleast. 

Lets see how players will react against the Baggies, their cheated goal was our downfall. We need to revenge on them atleast.

• Like 2

Taking totals so far and projecting until the end of the year, 88 points would win the league.

The standard is so poor this year, which makes our recent performances that much more frustrating.

It's a pretty safe bet that we won't be worrying the play off places this year so hopefully at some point before the end of the season we can start playing some football and focus on the players and style we want to play next year.

We have to start our 19/20 race for promotion faster than we have the last 3 years.