18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Can’t get to carried away when we win, can’t get too despondent when we don’t. It’s difficult to do. 

Ultimately I think we’ll fall short, sadly. But to a small extent we can have our say whether we’re in the mix. We still have 8 of the teams above us to face, 5 at home, win 4 or so of those and we’d have a chance.

Unlikely though.

Fall short? We are 6 points off 6th with teams above us having a game in hand.

We're nowhere near. That's potentially 9 points off 6th. How in the world are we supposed to be anywhere close to the top 6 if we can't beat Wigan and Reading?

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Brizzle on fire, Derby, Forest, Bloose winning. Going to take something special to get 6th. Its as good as gone for me with the first two with a game in hand and us incapable of getting more than a point a game. Hope Smith gets the time and we build properly for once next season. 

Shh, we're trying to go under the radar.

Anyway, we're due this season's winless run still.

Edited by JamesBCFC

Aston villa Goals Scored 56

Team's that have scored more. Norwich(57), West Bromwich(59)

Aston villa Goals Conceded 49

Team's that have conceded more Ipswich(51)

We are a seriously bipolar team, I didn't realise the stats were this bad, there is only one team in this division worse than us at the back, let that sink in.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

We are a seriously bipolar team, I didn't realise the stats were this bad, there is only one team in this division worse than us at the back, let that sink in.

Drawn the most in the league too.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fall short? We are 6 points off 6th with teams above us having a game in hand.

We're nowhere near. That's potentially 9 points off 6th. How in the world are we supposed to be anywhere close to the top 6 if we can't beat Wigan and Reading?

I think you’re taking my “fall short” comment a bit literal.

I don’t mean I think we’ll miss out and finish 7th on goal difference, I mean I can see us go a reasonable run, pick up a few decent results maybe get our hopes up but ultimately not make it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

It's always been like that with all the teams DS has managed. His teams score alot of goals, but concede alot as well. Nothing surprising this.

I think we will concede 50+ goals next season as well, hopefully we can outscore our opponents.

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Just for completion, before Smith came in, we had the joint fourth best goals scored and the joint second worst defence in the league (along with Reading). Only Preston had conceded more.

Yep, Smith’s teams concede goals, I don’t think anyone is really denying that. But this defence has been a problem all season.

• Like 2

For those who say its bad for us to go up then down again, although I don’t prefer it to take that long but there is no guarantee we will have a proper team next season, and no guatantee to go up. Yet its almost guaranteed for Jack to go if we’re not up.

If we went up we could do with couple of signings. Cardiff seemed to go down while Fulham were firing it down here. Look at them now. But at the same time they have a big squad and will definitely have a good chance of promotion in the next two seasons.

Going up will always give u chance to buy quality players and get money when you go down.

Our approach the year we went down was good, but we had lack of good defenders and a striker. My evidence was look at all our players from abroad that season.

If we had a proper spine and build our team apon them we could always have a good team. We can’t attract the same caliber of players while we’re here. There are exceptions as McGin. But we can’t rely on our championship team anyway to go up there. Its working with Cardiff because the way they play would be ok for a relegation battle up there. While Fulham way worked down here but its a hard style to play it upthere.

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's always been like that with all the teams DS has managed. His teams score alot of goals, but concede alot as well. Nothing surprising this.

I think we will concede 50+ goals next season as well, hopefully we can outscore our opponents.

Last season Brentford scored 62(9 team's scored more) conceded 52(8 teams conceded less)goals 

Now I'm not saying that's brilliant, but it goes against the fact that Dean Smith can't organise a defence and that Brentford both were free scoring and that they couldn't defend(last year at least).

We are almost the worst team in the league at the back so far this year, that is beyond belief and it needs to change if we are going to push on.

This isn't all Smith's fault either, we were terrible at the back under Bruce as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Last season Brentford scored 62(9 team's scored more) conceded 52(8 teams conceded less)goals 

Now I'm not saying that's brilliant, but it goes against the fact that Dean Smith can't organise a defence and that Brentford both were free scoring and that they couldn't defend(last year at least).

We are almost the worst team in the league at the back so far this year, that is beyond belief and it needs to change if we are going to push on.

This isn't all Smith's fault either, we were terrible at the back under Bruce as well. 

We’re bad defensively wether we park the bus or when we attack. 😅

Defensively we're awful. I think the biggest problem is the back four not getting help from midfield. We also don't seem to be pressing as much up top right now. Yesterday we just played hoofball in the first half. There's not much connection between defense, midfield and up top. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wait what? With 52 goals conceded it means you concede a goal in every single game you play. You find that decent?

Lol so how annoyed were you last season? We conceded 42 goals! Only four clean sheets all season!! 

Just now, villalad21 said:

Wait what? With 52 goals conceded it means you concede a goal in every single game you play. You find that decent?

Nice chop half of what I said out. Against the 24 attacks in the league last year it means that 15 team's conceded more. For a team that finished 9th.

Context is important.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Lol so how annoyed were you last season? We conceded 42 goals! Only four clean sheets all season!! 

I don't care too much about it as long as we win the majority of our games.

If we win 1-0 or 4-3 doesn't matter, the main thing is winning, and we aren't at the moment.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

Defensively we're awful. I think the biggest problem is the back four not getting help from midfield. We also don't seem to be pressing as much up top right now. Yesterday we just played hoofball in the first half. There's not much connection between defense, midfield and up top. 

3rd goal last night, well Taylor was awful but they had 2 players running at him. Where was Kodjia

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't care too much about it as long as we win the majority of our games.

If we win 1-0 or 4-3 doesn't matter, the main thing is winning, and we aren't at the moment.

So we’ll gloss over your 52 goals conceded means Brentford conceded in all matches comment.

Again for completion, we achieved 20 clean sheets last season. Brentford managed 15. Not bad for a manager who had fewer resources and can’t organise a defence.

No we’re not winning and it’s annoying. 

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Again for completion, we achieved 20 clean sheets last season. Brentford managed 15. Not bad for a manager who had fewer resources and can’t organise a defence.

Not bad nor is it impressive. Getting Brentford into the top 6 would be impressive.

26 minutes ago, MapleVilla said:

A number of times last night it felt like we had no midfield.