18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

4 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I still think we come straight back down if we did. Far too much work to be done. 

Current squad witbout Jack we go down easily 

Sadky the Bruce/Xia pronotion would have done worse damage long term

We now need 31 points from our last 15 games to hit 75 points which I think would put us into the play off places. Wins rather than draws are now needed, let's aim for say 10 of them. 

I would target 5 wins from our home games against WBA, Derby, Boro, Blackburn, Bristol City, Millwall and Norwich along with away wins at Brentford, Small Heath, Sheffield Weds, Rotherham and Bolton . Not asking for too much am we? :D 

• Like 1

I don't want to get promoted. I think as a squad, as a team, with our tactical naievity and inability to play to Smith's style, the sort of onfield punishment we'd be subjected to would result in our matches not being allowed to be shown before 2200 on TV. 

There is going to be a vast overhaul of our players this season. Perhaps over ten players leaving, slightly less arriving. Incorporating our U23's over the summer as well as new signings. Can you imagine trying to do that whilst attempting, somehow, to hammer home Smith's system to a squad that seem completely incapable of learning the utter basics of passing and moving? 

Hidings at Chelsea, Liverpool and meek performances at most other grounds still haunts me from our past Premier League experience, it worries me that 2019/2020 would be even worse if we went up. 

We need to go up with a style, system and squad that needs a pre-season tweak, not total transition.

Short term pain, long term gain, or something like that. 

Edited by Don_Simon

We are an ageing team propped up by loan players.

Whelan 35

Jedinak 34

Hutton 34

Elphick 31

Elmohamady 31

Adomah 31

Chester 30

Taylor 30

Bjarnason 30

Kodjia 29

You can't build a team with players of this age.

I owe a few of you an apology (especially TRO) for my insistence at the end of last season that we had the players but they were being held back by an ultra negative manager. I felt that a positive attacking manager could get a lot more out of our squad.

It's now obvious that I was wrong. I disregarded the fact that our most influential players no longer have the physical attributes to play Dean Smith type football. The 'leaders' in our squad have reverted to their default football and it's dragging us back.

Winning a play off final would only disguise the huge job that DS and co still have to do. Another season in the Championship beckons and on balance it might be the best thing for us.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We're going to finish beneath the bluescum aren't we :puke:

Been saying it for a while and people are dismissing it but there is a very worrying probability it could happen. We need to start blood6 winning games. Drawing is not good enough. And we hav3 to go to th3 sty which I don’t fancy us at all

This season only Middlesbrough and Norwich have lost less games.

No one has drawn as many games.

And you have to go to Preston in 14th to find a team that has won as few (10) as us.

Our goalscoring is making us hard to beat, but our defending is making it difficult for us to win, we simply must concede less.

• Like 1

I read an article before the play off final last year that the average league position of the losing finalist the following season was 13th and only two sides have gone up after losing the play off final the previous year. Seems we are fitting in with the pattern.

26 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Brizzle on fire, Derby, Forest, Bloose winning. Going to take something special to get 6th. Its as good as gone for me with the first two with a game in hand and us incapable of getting more than a point a game. Hope Smith gets the time and we build properly for once next season. 

I think Bloose, Forest winning is always good for us. As much as there are many teams in the mix it makes every team taking points from the other. But we need to sort ourselves out.

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They have a better manager

Can’t be denied monks doing better than smith but monks been there a lot longer so I think smith definitely needs abit more time.

but finishing below blose would be humiliating 

4 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

it's over we just need to try to get a style of play ready for next season.

Where we finish is where we are now I think.

Yep we blew it from the QPR onwards. lopk at our fixtures and the last two we have. Even if we scraped 6th no way are we winning a two legged game with second leg away from villa park. 

I sincerely hope the same people who want Smith out, weren't the sames ones saying "We will win this League" 🤣 when we were looking sensational.

As I said then, i'll say now.

There will be ups and downs, and we require patience.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I sincerely hope the same people who want Smith out, weren't the sames ones saying "We will win this League" 🤣 when we were looking sensational.

As I said then, i'll say now.

There will be ups and downs, and we require patience.

Yeah I remember people saying we wouldnt lose another game all year. Talk about ridiculous and unrealistic expectations. People got way too carried away.

since those games we have been average to poor

• Like 1

Can’t get to carried away when we win, can’t get too despondent when we don’t. It’s difficult to do. 

Ultimately I think we’ll fall short, sadly. But to a small extent we can have our say whether we’re in the mix. We still have 8 of the teams above us to face, 5 at home, win 4 or so of those and we’d have a chance.

Unlikely though.

• Like 1