18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

If we continue playing as we are I see us finishing on around 85 points.  Would have been good enough for 4th last season. This season it could be mighty close to Second. 

Edit: Just noticed Fulham were on 26 points this time last season. They managed a further 62 points from 26 games which is incredible. 

If we managed something similar to that we’d finish on 93 and be promoted.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeesh, the majority of Villains are still giddy with the run of results and the transformation of playing style - I will never understand the need for retribution at times like this.

Just in response to some of the nonsense posted by the few fans he had left at the end.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just in response to some of the nonsense posted by the few fans he had left at the end.

After the first few games this season was when I truly felt enough was enough with Bruce. I think it took people a while, some others less so, but am very happy to forget about potato head now, especially because of what now sits in front of us. Not a comment on you at all, just expressing how credibly optimistic it all feels. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

After the first few games this season was when I truly felt enough was enough with Bruce. I think it took people a while, some others less so, but am very happy to forget about potato head now, especially because of what now sits in front of us. Not a comment on you at all, just expressing how credibly optimistic it all feels. 

I wasn't a Bruce out until right at the end, but Wow what a difference a progressive manager makes. I wouldn't of believed it could make such a difference. The biggest plus for me is when we go 1 up, none of this sitting back and waiting for the inevitable, not now we go and get another! It feels like we will beat anybody anywhere now. UTV

• Like 3

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not at all but Leeds and Norwich are looking very consistent and we are already 8 points behind Leeds.

I'm not saying it's impossible but it's gonna be a big, big task.

8 points behind Leeds, if we beat them we go 5 points behind them with with 25 games and 75 points left to play for.

The league table doesn't even matter yet at this stage, last Christmas Bristol City were second yet finished 11th.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Steve who?...     🤔

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tinker said:

Freefall is a bit strong ...but It's their recent games against relegation rivals thats the worry and once you start losing games it's a hard habit to break . For the record Im rather find of Wolves ( and any other midland  team) and would rather them win the league than drop out of it. 

They still played Arsenal off the pitch at Emirates recently. Sign a good striker in January and they'll finish top half.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think it is equally ridiculous to say we WILL, as several have.

We need to just take it one game at a time, let's break the top 6 first before we get carried away.

7 teams above us still play games, and majority are up there for a reason.

Not to mention the obvious, which is that we are coming from behind.

We could realistically even win the next 2 games and still not be in the top 6.

Got nothing to do with confidence in the manager, as we have been phenomenal, more so realism and mathematics.

I agree its too early but we can certainly see where we are at come March.

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think it is equally ridiculous to say we WILL, as several have.

We need to just take it one game at a time, let's break the top 6 first before we get carried away.

7 teams above us still play games, and majority are up there for a reason.

Not to mention the obvious, which is that we are coming from behind.

We could realistically even win the next 2 games and still not be in the top 6.

Got nothing to do with confidence in the manager, as we have been phenomenal, more so realism and mathematics.

To be honest if we win our next too we’ll most likely be in the top 6.  As we’re playing WBA, while they play Sheff U after that. Then Nottingham are going to Derby.

But I agree with you that lets take it one game at a time, and hope that other teams start collapsing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, briny_ear said:

And yet people are already playing down his chances of getting us promoted. Ironically, I - allegedly a “Bruce supporter” - am not.

If we can build on today’s performance which involved tight defensive play as well as superb attacking play, I don’t see why we can’t challenge for promotion.

No-one is playing anything down, people are being realistic. He just got here, he's doing amazing but we shoudl expect a new manager and all the changes that brings to result in promotion this year. If he needs time to build his squad first then he should get it. Like Bruce did.

• Like 1

In some sense it would be better if we didn't go up this season. So Smith can get to build his team and have us better prepared for the prem.

If we would go up this season alot would have to be done squadwise in a short space of time.

Edited by villalad21

43 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In some sense it would be better if we didn't go up this season. So Smith can get to build his team and have us better prepared for the prem.

If we would go up this season alot would have to be done squadwise in a short space of time.

Considering how fast he appears to have kicked off with this set of players I'm not to concerned about that. The prem is and always should be the aim.

• Like 1

I think the points total for automatic will be a bit lower this season and would be surprised if Norwich last the pace, they have a lot of young players and it's asking a lot for them to maintain that standard till the end of the season. It will be 2 out of us, Leeds, Forest, Derby and maybe Albion.

It will take a while but if we do get into the automatic spots I expect our tenure to be longer than last season.

It is slow progress in terms of getting into the top six at the moment due to the top 6/7 being pretty consistent but over the last 5 games we have gone from 17th to 8th. Just as significant though is that we have gone from:

11 points off top spot to 9 points

9 points from 2nd to 8 points

7 points outside play offs to 3 points

We could do with a couple of teams above us to also go on the kind of run Sheff Utd have as they were 11 points above us 5 games ago but are now just 3.

We shouldn't and clearly don't under Smith fear anyone in this league. Our squad overall is one of the best ,and in terms of midfield and attack is the best, in the division with it almost certain to be strengthened in defensive areas in January.  We obviously have to go all out to win every game if we are to close the gap to the top and fortunately we have a manager whose DNA is all about attack. I think we can slowly reign the top 2 back in although it may be another 7 or 8 weeks until we get the gap down to a handful of points. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

This is a catch 22, so while it sounds Ideal. It is not.

We will lose our best players for sure, namely Jack.

We will have less money to spend also.

Hence we won't necessarily be able to afford the quality we have brought in on loan next year.

Would be 2 steps forward and 3 back IMO.

• Like 1