18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In some sense it would be better if we didn't go up this season. So Smith can get to build his team and have us better prepared for the prem.

If we would go up this season alot would have to be done squadwise in a short space of time.

Pulis commented after the game yesterday that our team would cope in the Premier League and I think our midfield and attack certainly would be as good as if not better than the likes of Huddersfield, Cardiff, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Watford.

If we went up we would need changes as any team does but if we could retain our loan signings we'd certainly have 8 or 9 who could comfortably step up and play in the top flight.

I think in terms of the midfield and attack if Smith had of been here from July he wouldn't have been able to sign better quality than we have now and I can't see how with the financial restraints, and our better players being targeted by Prem clubs, we can go into next season stronger than we are now. The quality we have in midfield and attack for this level is unreal.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

If we went up we would need changes as any team does but if we could retain our loan signings we'd certainly have 8 or 9 who could comfortably step up and play in the top flight.

Problem is it would take something like £25-40m for Abraham, £15-20 for Tuanzebe, £10-20 for Bolasie, £8m El Ghazi to do so.

Granted those numbers are plucked out of my arse and are just poorly rooted speculations, but still.

And then we'd need almost a whole new defense and a keeper.

That's a lot of moolah, but I guess we can always try and loan them again as I suspect Chelsea and Manure will not want to get rid of Abraham nor Tuanzebe.

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Problem is it would take something like £25-40m for Abraham, £15-20 for Tuanzebe, £10-20 for Bolasie, £8m El Ghazi to do so.

Granted those numbers are plucked out of my arse and are just poorly rooted speculations, but still.

And then we'd need almost a whole new defense and a keeper.

That's a lot of moolah, but I guess we can always try and loan them again as I suspect Chelsea and Manure will not want to get rid of Abraham nor Tuanzebe.

No doubt it would be tough but would we be any worse prepared than say Brighton, Newcastle and Huddersfield were a couple of years ago and who all stayed up last season and are all again currently outside the bottom three this season. Fulham went up in May and spent 100 mill so you'd like to think we'd be in a position to do that which would allow us to retain the loan players, if we wanted to, and bring in a number of others.

I certainly don't see how another season down here would make us better prepared for going up and I struggle to see how, certainly in terms of our midfield and attack, we'll have as strong a squad next season as we have now. 

I suppose lets get up first though and cross that bridge if we come to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

No doubt it would be tough but would we be any worse prepared than say Brighton, Newcastle and Huddersfield were a couple of years ago and who all stayed up last season and are all again currently outside the bottom three this season. Fulham went up in May and spent 100 mill so you'd like to think we'd be in a position to do that which would allow us to retain the loan players, if we wanted to, and bring in a number of others.

I certainly don't see how another season down here would make us better prepared for going up and I struggle to see how, certainly in terms of our midfield and attack, we'll have as strong a squad next season as we have now. 

I suppose lets get up first though and cross that bridge if we come to it.

Yeah, getting out of this league no matter the cost (almost) is certainly what's it all about.

Still don't trust our financial issues are behind us, no matter what the club says.

would be amazing if they are thou.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigRed said:

Leeds fan here, joined to have decent debate. 

Just seen this thought I’d give you the Leeds perspective. in our opinion we’re pretty consistent only lost 1 in 7 won the last 3. We aren’t finding it easier to blow teams away at the minute but we’re getting the wins. The main reason we are finding it hard at the moment is that teams don’t set up to come to beat us they set up to not lose & maybe nick it. Which means as soon as the lose the ball they drop the half way line which make it hard to break teams down but we’re finding ways. The 2nd I noticed a post maybe a page or so back saying we’d likely drop out once injuries & suspensions kicked in, I’d say that’s been the case since the season started. With roofe, henandez, Ayling, bamford, beradi, brown, Blackman, now cooper, all missing significant amount of games since the start of the season & we’re still without ayling, beradi, brown, bamford & Cooper. Young kids have filled in brilliantly, Clarke 17, Shackleton 19, Halme 20, huffer 20, Harrison 21 & Roberts 19. So we’re managing brilliantly & will be likely be stronger with the players coming back from injury around Xmas plus hopefully some signings in January. 

That being said would I have liked to have played you earlier in the season definitely, Smith seems to have got you playing even if you do seem leaky at the back you have players that could definitely hurt us with the pace you have out wide & I do fancy your chances of making the playoffs especially if you go for broke In jan, but I believe this is your third year & if you do go for it & fail I would imagine you’d be in the same boat of sheff Wednesday & have to cut back massively due to failing FFP. 

Good luck for the rest of the season, just not against us. 

Do you worry that a lack of a 20+ goal a season player might hinder you's as the season progresses ? Roofe looks to be blowing hot and cold and he's not a prolific scorer anyway. Few Leeds fans i know in work ( I'm in Ireland) going mental that Leeds signed bamford. Not because of the injury but he's such an un-bielsa like player. Can't wait for the 23rd. All the best. Hopefully Frampton beats the snot out of Warrington the night before too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In some sense it would be better if we didn't go up this season. So Smith can get to build his team and have us better prepared for the prem.

If we would go up this season alot would have to be done squadwise in a short space of time.

We won’t have axel Tammy el ghazi or bolaise, that’s a huge part of the squad we might not be able to replace them. If w can go up then it has t9 be this ye4 Andy we worry about the rest in the summer

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BigRed said:

Just seen this thought I’d give you the Leeds perspective. in our opinion we’re pretty consistent only lost 1 in 7 won the last 3. We aren’t finding it easier to blow teams away at the minute but we’re getting the wins. The main reason we are finding it hard at the moment is that teams don’t set up to come to beat us they set up to not lose & maybe nick it. Which means as soon as the lose the ball they drop the half way line which make it hard to break teams down but we’re finding ways. The 2nd I noticed a post maybe a page or so back saying we’d likely drop out once injuries & suspensions kicked in, I’d say that’s been the case since the season started. With roofe, henandez, Ayling, bamford, beradi, brown, Blackman, now cooper, all missing significant amount of games since the start of the season & we’re still without ayling, beradi, brown, bamford & Cooper. Young kids have filled in brilliantly, Clarke 17, Shackleton 19, Halme 20, huffer 20, Harrison 21 & Roberts 19. So we’re managing brilliantly & will be likely be stronger with the players coming back from injury around Xmas plus hopefully some signings in January. 

That being said would I have liked to have played you earlier in the season definitely, Smith seems to have got you playing even if you do seem leaky at the back you have players that could definitely hurt us with the pace you have out wide & I do fancy your chances of making the playoffs especially if you go for broke In jan, but I believe this is your third year & if you do go for it & fail I would imagine you’d be in the same boat of sheff Wednesday & have to cut back massively due to failing FFP. 

welcome 2 the forums Mr Leeds Fan.

42 minutes ago, BigRed said:

I’ve seen Leeds a few times this season and I fancy you too win the league. 

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

We won’t have axel Tammy el ghazi or bolaise, that’s a huge part of the squad we might not be able to replace them. If w can go up then it has t9 be this ye4 Andy we worry about the rest in the summer

Bildresultat för what gif

I'm just going to say it... Our entire midfield and front line are premier league quality right now. Defensively tuanzebe and possibly chester are also the required standard.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get bolasie, Abraham and tuanzebe back on loan next season, with us also taking our option to buy on el gahzi. Then we would have enough cash to use to strengthen the defence and general squad. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Do you worry that a lack of a 20+ goal a season player might hinder you's as the season progresses ? Roofe looks to be blowing hot and cold and he's not a prolific scorer anyway. Few Leeds fans i know in work ( I'm in Ireland) going mental that Leeds signed bamford. Not because of the injury but he's such an un-bielsa like player. Can't wait for the 23rd. All the best. Hopefully Frampton beats the snot out of Warrington the night before too.

At the moment not too worried The midfield is chipping in with goals plus Roberts chipped in with 3 whilst roofe & bamford have been out.  Roofe is also playing very well & is holding the ball up linking in with the midfield, thought he did a great job when he moved out wide yesterday also. The one thing I do hope that bamford brings when he returns is the height & presence in the box when it’s tight as most teams seems to want us to have out wide while they stay compact to stop us play neat 1/2’s on the edge of the box & scoring like that, & whilst roofe is good in the air, that extra physical presence & height to give defenders something extra to think about would be great. At times we try to score the perfect goal & doesn’t always come off but most Leeds fans feel that 1 day soon it’s igoing to click & we’re going to hammer a team as we dominate most teams on the ball & get into great positions. That’s not to say we can’t improve we need up our tempo & sharpness in passing at times when teams are hard to beat, which is where we’ve not at our best but as I’ve said we’ve got a number of first team players missing through injury but keep getting the results

Edited by BigRed
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, wilko154 said:

8 points behind Leeds, if we beat them we go 5 points behind them with with 25 games and 75 points left to play for.

The league table doesn't even matter yet at this stage, last Christmas Bristol City were second yet finished 11th.

It's where you are when the daffodils come up - apparently.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRed said:

At the moment not too worried The midfield is chipping in with goals plus Roberts chipped in with 3 whilst roofe & bamford have been out.  Roofe is also playing very well & is holding the ball up linking in with the midfield, thought he did a great job when he moved out wide yesterday also. The one thing I do hope that bamford brings when he returns is the height & presence in the box when it’s tight as most teams seems to want us to have out wide while they stay compact to stop us play neat 1/2’s on the edge of the box & scoring like that, & whilst roofe is good in the air, that extra physical presence & height to give defenders something extra to think about would be great. At times we try to score the perfect goal & doesn’t always come off but most Leeds fans feel that 1 day soon it’s igoing to click & we’re going to hammer a team as we dominate most teams on the ball & get into great positions. That’s not to say we can’t improve we need up our tempo & sharpness in passing at times when teams are hard to beat, which is where we’ve not at our best but as I’ve said we’ve got a number of first team players missing through injury but keep getting the results

If you get through March still in with a shot Ill have you as one of the favourites. 

I’d say the most convincing team at the moment is Leeds.

Norwich have their threat, but if I’m honest its Leeds, WBA and Boro that I’ve been waiting for them to lose all the time.

Boro doesn’t seem to have goals in them. 

Can Norwich or Forest be another Fulham or Cardiff?

I think Albion are similar to us in how strong their attacking players are. To be able to keep Dwight Gayle on the bench is ridiculous for this level. 

That Barnes looks a real quality act too.

Considering where they are in terms of points I’d fancy Leeds and Albion to be favourites for top 2. Norwich it’s hard to work out how long they can continue this unbelievable form.  Forest look ok too.  I think Sheffield United will start dropping points and Boro don’t have enough goals. 

So whilst there are no run away team this year like Wolves there is still plenty of competition for top 2.  Very exciting season. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa