18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

Much will depend on how we handle the inevitable loss or losses, which will occur at some point. Do we bounce back immediately, or not. For a top2 place, we simply cannot afford a major slump, even 3-4 games might be too much.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Much will depend on how we handle the inevitable loss or losses, which will occur at some point. Do we bounce back immediately, or not. For a top2 place, we simply cannot afford a major slump, even 3-4 games might be too much.

We lost agaist Norwich and QPR...didnt seem to harm much!

What is on our side is how many points teams are dropping. It seems that a much lower total will be needed to achieve top 2. In the championship if you can win 4 or 5 games in a row you can suddenly shoot up the table. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Do you think it's so hard to believe we could beat Leeds in our head to heads? If we can do that, we only need to catch up 2 points in the other 24 games. It's far from impossible. 

We will drop points as well, it's not like we're gonna win every single game for the rest of the season. We will lose games

Think now till New Year will be interesting for both of us.

On paper we have aside from you away (thats up for debate) a fairly decent chance of taking maximum points from 4 of our next 5. 

Blackburn, QPR and Hull at home and Bolton away.

In comparison you have.

WBA , Swansea and Preston away and Stoke at home.

Important month for both of us, season isnt settled yet but very different set of fixtures for us both.

People talking about beating us to cut the gap to 5 points. 

We both got 2 games before we meet, gap could be gone you could be above us or 8 point gap could be 14 points.

Tiz very exciting imo, love the xmas fixtures time.

Edit . . Maths let me down, you could have cut the gap to 2 points before we meet.

Edited by Cjay
Poor maths
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Think now till Xmas will be interesting for both of us.

On paper we have aside from you away (thats up for debate) a fairly decent chance of taking maximum points from 4 of our next 5. 

Blackburn, QPR and Hull at home and Bolton away.

In comparison you have.

WBA , Swansea and Preston away and Stoke at home.

Important month for both of us, season isnt settled yet but very different set of fixtures for us both.

People talking about beating us to cut the gap to 5 points. 

We both got 2 games before we meet, gap could be gone you could be above us or 8 point gap could be 14 points.

Tiz very exciting imo, love the xmas fixtures time.

Many things depends on what clubs do in the january transfer window. If we can sort out the keeper, and defence situation in January i can't see many teams stopping us.

Forest did kinda stop us but you have to keep in mind that they scored on every single shot they had in the game, that type of luck is like 1/100

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Have you watched Norwich though?  They are flying.  They're destroying teams, and they gave us a lesson too.  Yes we've improved greatly since then, but they've been playing that well for a while now.

If we played Norwich tomorrow I think we would beat them. We are far better now than when we played them. I think. Norwich just about beat Rotherham at home and have not had injuries like we have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

We'e not even in the top 6 and you're talking about winning the league. I think it's nonsense

If you take away the first 3 games under Smith, seeing as he was teaching our players how to play football again.. we have taken 13 points from a possible 15. Only Norwich have matched this, meaning we have taken more points than all other sides in those 5 games. Then you have to consider that during this run we have played some of the best teams in the league and absolutely destroyed them - then it really sinks in that this is no purple patch or new manager bounce.

I don't think its nonsense at all to be considering us as potential champions or top 2, in fact I think we are the most feared team in the league right now

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Many things depends on what clubs do in the january transfer window. If we can sort out the keeper, and defence situation in January i can't see many teams stopping us.

Forest did kinda stop us but you have to keep in mind that they scored on every single shot they had in the game, that type of luck is like 1/100

If you can then i agree, your defence is so dodgy if you can fix that in January then you will be hard to stop.

Although how you can afford to fix that in January still baffles me tbh.

I'm hopeful for the Villa game.

Anyone can beat anyone so easier fixtures or not we have won 3 with 3 clean sheets. 

Our away form is the 2nd best in the league and we have beaten convincingly 2nd 3rd and 4th best teams at home (we are the best home side).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we played Norwich tomorrow I think we would beat them. We are far better now than when we played them. I think.

My point was about how Norwich were playing at the time.  I said we've improved since then.  It wasn't about us.

42 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Then you have to consider that during this run we have played some of the best teams in the league and absolutely destroyed them - then it really sinks in that this is no purple patch or new manager bounce.

Whilst i am quietly hoping that is the case, its really too early to know. 

Bruce had a good patch near the start of his management, then went on a massive losing/drawing streak.   Not that i think this will happen under Smith, but results might dip from the current 2 PPG. 

50 minutes ago, Junxs said:

If you take away the first 3 games under Smith, seeing as he was teaching our players how to play football again.. we have taken 13 points from a possible 15. Only Norwich have matched this, meaning we have taken more points than all other sides in those 5 games. Then you have to consider that during this run we have played some of the best teams in the league and absolutely destroyed them - then it really sinks in that this is no purple patch or new manager bounce.

I don't think its nonsense at all to be considering us as potential champions or top 2, in fact I think we are the most feared team in the league right now

Yes but we are gonna drop points as well while the teams above us will win.

Your talking like we're gonna win every single game for the rest of the season

Edited by villalad21

46 minutes ago, Cjay said:

If you can then i agree, your defence is so dodgy if you can fix that in January then you will be hard to stop.

Although how you can afford to fix that in January still baffles me tbh.

I'm hopeful for the Villa game.

Anyone can beat anyone so easier fixtures or not we have won 3 with 3 clean sheets. 

Our away form is the 2nd best in the league and we have beaten convincingly 2nd 3rd and 4th best teams at home (we are the best home side).

I feel like Leeds are in this position every single year. They start well then they end up getting injuries and fall down the table.

Hopefully you can make it this year, as long as it's not at expense of us

• Like 1

Teams managed by Bielsa have a reputation of dropping off in the 2nd half of the season, it's happened everywhere he goes. He works the players too hard on/off the pitch and with the fact he likes to run a small squad, it's inevitable there will be a lull for Leeds at some point imo.

4 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

Teams managed by Bielsa have a reputation of dropping off in the 2nd half of the season, it's happened everywhere he goes. He works the players too hard on/off the pitch and with the fact he likes to run a small squad, it's inevitable there will be a lull for Leeds at some point imo.

Sounds very similar to MON