18/19 Race for Promotion

KJT123

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

A thought just crossed my head.

Birmingham is doing very well, so are we. Both of us ending up in the playoff spots is not unlikely as it stands.

Imagine a play off final between Villa and scum, imagine if we lost it. I don't know if i could go on living in that scenario.

One has a 12 point penalty soon and a manager who will leave  ASAP

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

This is opinion not fact. We were four points off the top 6 when he left which was not good enough (I.e.why he was sacked) but nothing like unrecoverable.

Quite why after such a good performance today people are coming in to diss our prospects of making progress us a bit beyond me.

But then apparently I’ve “lost my marbles”. 😂  

Opinion? We played 11 shit teams from the bottom half of the table and won 3 of them. That is a fact. 

And no one is dissing our chances of promotion, they are questioning why you think that Smith should be pushing for automatic promotion in his first season when you supported Bruce who never did. 

If you wasn't a long term poster I'd think you was a troll. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I remember the majority giving Bruce time if I’m being honest. Even after that dreadful run in January. 

I don’t think Smith is expected to dismantle the squad. But he does deserve time to get them playing his way and improving areas of weakness.  So far he has massive exceeded my expectations of how fast he has turned things around.  I didn’t for a second see this level of improvement so soon. 

He did, he got loads of time. And produced cow dung.

It would be mental if we go up, with Leeds and Nottingham.

Or us, WBA and Blues. 

I’d prefer the first one but I also remember 2010-2011 when we had 3 derby games in the premier league which give us more big games.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That is the biggest load of bullshit I have read on here. He got a hell of a lot more time than he deserved. The only other Villa manager who got similar was Lambert

Fact is Smith is showing how shit Bruce was without a mythical transfer window

You obviously haven’t read too much if Villatalk then. 😂

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That is the biggest load of bullshit I have read on here. He got a hell of a lot more time than he deserved. The only other Villa manager who got similar was Lambert

And yet people are already playing down his chances of getting us promoted. Ironically, I - allegedly a “Bruce supporter” - am not.

If we can build on today’s performance which involved tight defensive play as well as superb attacking play, I don’t see why we can’t challenge for promotion.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

And yet people are already playing down his chances of getting us promoted. Ironically, I - allegedly a “Bruce supporter” - am not.

If we can build on today’s performance which involved tight defensive play as well as superb attacking play, I don’t see why we can’t challenge for promotion.

The problem is we have 9 points to make up so there is no room for error.

So we can’t really afford the routine Nyland error or defensive lapse that we’ve seen all season.  Keep the gap at 9 points by the team the keeper can be replaced and the defence can be reinforced then I think top 2 is achievable. 

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So apparently adjusting expectations for a manager who came into the job with a 10 point handicap on the top 2 is the same as expecting promotion from a manager who's been in the job for 2 years and signed countless players on a budget that dwarfs every team in the league. Got it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

To be fair I think Smith is also showing he actually wants the job too. 

Bruce masterminded a sacking as soon as the new owners came in. 

47 minutes ago, av1 said:

Opinion? We played 11 shit teams from the bottom half of the table and won 3 of them. That is a fact. 

And no one is dissing our chances of promotion, they are questioning why you think that Smith should be pushing for automatic promotion in his first season when you supported Bruce who never did. 

If you wasn't a long term poster I'd think you was a troll. 

That at least Is a testable proposition. If I could be arsed (which I can’t  - look them up yourselves) I could show you people claiming we have no chance of automatic promotion because of Bruce’s “disatrous start”.

I just beg to differ.

Calling final promotion places on the 1st December is just bonkers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

You obviously haven’t read too much if Villatalk then. 😂

Briny.  I was one of the first to turn strongly and permanently Bruce out.   It was the latter part of January and trust me.  There were very few joining me.  Many, including you, gave me and 2 or 3 others all sorts of grief for it.   If you think there as an early anti-Bruce surge, your marbles have run away and hidden from you.  But I’m happy to let it all go and just enjoy the tremendous DS turnaround .  UTV 

• Thanks 1

Its a good week I guess, would have been perfect had we beat Forest, but wow, just wow. We had two similar spells during our last couple of year at the premier league where we’ve been scoring for fun and playing nice football. One under Lambert (at the end of his first season) the other was when Sherwood took over.

But to be honest we were relying at both mostly on Benteke. Well the second one we had Delph and Grealish shinning too.

Now its a team performance, not just one player. Although Tammy is scoring a lot but people are choosing different man of match.

The only downside is the top two won there last 3 I guess (for Norwich it was last 2 i guess).

We had United, Boro who all lost (waiting for a Brentford gift to uncle Smith too) 🙏🏻

Although United, Boro losing were against rivals, but we still made up some points on them.

Derby lost the other day, Boro didn’t win, Stoke failed to win (which is good in the pong term just incase they have a bounce).

If WBA lose, and we beat them next Friday, with couple of results on our favour, things will start looking much more brighter.

Up The Villa!

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Norwich are on a good run but do they have the squad to make it last?

Leeds not really looking too consistent in my book.

It’s not like last season and if we build our own run we can certainly put pressure on at least one of them.

I’m certainly not giving up yet. I suspect the whole point of changing managers so early in the season was to give the new manager a chance to get us automatic promotion.

You mean like when RDM was sacked? And then Bruce managed to finish 13th. 

Then yourself, TRO and other die hard bruce fans changed the story to, he just had to keep us up and he needs more time. 

Brilliant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You mean like when RDM was sacked? And then Bruce managed to finish 13th. 

Then yourself, TRO and other die hard bruce fans changed the story to, he just had to keep us up and he needs more time. 

Brilliant. 

Yeesh, the majority of Villains are still giddy with the run of results and the transformation of playing style - I will never understand the need for retribution at times like this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

A thought just crossed my head.

Birmingham is doing very well, so are we. Both of us ending up in the playoff spots is not unlikely as it stands.

Imagine a play off final between Villa and scum, imagine if we lost it. I don't know if i could go on living in that scenario.

You worry too much.