New Manager Speculation

maqroll

The talk of Henry becoming our manager scares me.It would suggest our new owners do not understand the predicament we are in.We were a shambles of a club 2 years ago when we were relegated .Bruce has reconstructed the whole team and narrowly missed out on promotion.We have FFP to deal with and look like we are going to lose our best player.Is Henry who was an exceptional player the answer.?He has no managerial experience,he has no Championship experience .Has he ever coached or played with the type of players we have in the championship?

Do great players get you out of the championship without any managerial experience?

I can think of one Keane.

• Like 2

My worry with changing now is that we kick off in a few weeks. A new manager this close with no pre-season is asking for trouble. I'd also wager Bruce is popular with the squad. Timing probably dictates we don't rock the boat now but Bruce will have to hit the ground running and we need to be among the pace setters, none of this catch up bollocks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, holtend4life said:

Interesting if it was Henry, seeing as he’s been coaching a 3-5-2 formation with Belgium and that’s what Bruce has been doing all pre season. 

I’d still want Dean Smith though: plays better football, utilises the transfer market better, buys young players and develops them for a profit (Ollie Watkins the latest one apparently that’s going to make big money for them)....and he’s a villa fan (which doesn’t really hold any bearing on the football side of things but will understand the ethics of the club first hand at least). 

As an owner, you want a manager who’s on an upward trajectory. Bruce to me is not.

With the new owners I think they would be looking at a much bigger name than smith

I'm starting to think it is Henry. He's quit his Sky and Belgium jobs, with no mention of what he's doing next. If he wants to go into club management, Villa would probably he the tempting level to go in at - he's never going to work up from non league or L2, but he's smart enough to know he's not ready for the top leagues yet. Villa are a big enough name, but not in the full glare of the Premier League spotlight. With very rich owners (albeit hamstrung for a while by FFP). It fits. 

He wouldn't be my choice, but I could see it happening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the big names are used to dealing with players of exceptional abilities....that needs to be noted.

This division is horses for courses and the stability we still crave has further to run.

we would do well to leave the managers position alone for now and see how the new board blend in to the club and put all the fires out, so we can progressively make strategic decisions in an incremental fashion.

keeping our best players and adding a few additional strengths to key positions, will elevate us.

• Like 3

If you look at it realistically, then Bruce is the ideal manager in a lot of ways . Experience, Success, History to get a team up from the Championship, so either stick with what we have, and possibly give him some funds, or go for a big name, and hope it works, choice is yours.

I do like Dean Smith though

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

we would do well to leave the managers position alone for now and see how the new board blend in to the club and put all the fires out, so we can progressively make strategic decisions in an incremental fashion.

I think you make a good point here and I think this is especially the case if we are looking at someone like Henry. Two weeks before the season starts we would have new owners and a manager cutting his teeth in his first managerial job. Henry could be a great manager and a stroke of genius, a good manager or a diabolical one but I am not sure if our club at this time is the place to find out.

I guess if we do go down the Henry route then there would almost certainly need to be an acceptance that we are looking at a season of transition.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

The talk of Henry becoming our manager scares me.It would suggest our new owners do not understand the predicament we are in.We were a shambles of a club 2 years ago when we were relegated .Bruce has reconstructed the whole team and narrowly missed out on promotion.We have FFP to deal with and look like we are going to lose our best player.Is Henry who was an exceptional player the answer.?He has no managerial experience,he has no Championship experience .Has he ever coached or played with the type of players we have in the championship?

Do great players get you out of the championship without any managerial experience?

I can think of one Keane.

The fact that he is Thierry Henry seems to be good enough for most for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think you make a good point here and I think this is especially the case if we are looking at someone like Henry. Two weeks before the season starts we would have new owners and a manager cutting his teeth in his first managerial job. Henry could be a great manager and a stroke of genius, a good manager or a diabolical one but I am not sure if our club at this time is the place to find out.

I guess if we do go down the Henry route then there would almost certainly need to be an acceptance that we are looking at a season of transition.

Like you Mark, I am not sure we are ready for this level of transition and disruption.

The worry of course is names like Henry, do not become available every day, but do we need to become an apprenticeship playground for him.....its tricky.

but we have to migrate from panic decisions and get back to strategic planning and progression.

Bruce for all his sins, has proved to be a manager, who has little trouble attracting players.....despite what some of us think.....players seem to be comfortable with his persona.

I suspect these new owners are intrepid guys and will not want to hang around in this division, playing the slow burn.

my suspicion is he will be given until xmas and be reviewed.

my choice would be due to timing, give him one more season, build the financial stability of the club and plan in the meantime for any poosible change of manager next summer, unless of course results force upon us a quicker decision.

Would we have similar feelings if we were linked with arteta? Like Henry they've both come through the Wenger school of management. Taken on backroom roles and high levels. I wouldn't be against in. I don't dislike Bruce I just don't see what the difference would be this time round?? It's essentially 2 attempts at promotion and two failures. Third time lucky? 

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I mind reading an article from Lukaka during the World Cup and he said Henrys knowledge about football is unbelievable. Was talking about German 3rd division clubs and players as everybody should know what he was on about.

Granted, that doesn’t make u a manager, but I guarantee Henry knows more about the championship that wolves manager did. If you have money you can get out of the championship if you play good football 

As Henry Ford once said:

" its not about what you know, but more about what you do"

If we do plum for Henry then I'll try to look at the upside, i.e. how we play the game. Would only take two or three continental additions and maybe even Gil would be up for it - blended with the current back 4 and Grealish and COH etc - could be va-va-voooooom!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Bruce for all his sins, has proved to be a manager, who has little trouble attracting players.....despite what some of us think.....players seem to be comfortable with his persona.

So it was nothing to do with the Premier League wages we were paying?

I think you give Bruce too much credit at times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So it was nothing to do with the Premier League wages we were paying?

I think you give Bruce too much credit at times. 

No, absolutely not. Those players would have played for him for free. The wheelbarrow loads of cash were just a bonus.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm starting to think it is Henry. He's quit his Sky and Belgium jobs, with no mention of what he's doing next. If he wants to go into club management, Villa would probably he the tempting level to go in at - he's never going to work up from non league or L2, but he's smart enough to know he's not ready for the top leagues yet. Villa are a big enough name, but not in the full glare of the Premier League spotlight. With very rich owners (albeit hamstrung for a while by FFP). It fits. 

He wouldn't be my choice, but I could see it happening. 

Has Henry quit the Belgium job though? I couldn't find anything about it earlier, aprt from a youtube video of Belgium training that suggest Henry could be a player manager if he came here ;)

• Like 1

Might've already been mentioned but if Henry is their preferred option then I hope they aren't getting giddy, like the jokers who bought SHA and got Zola in ie, a "name" known around the footy world.