New Manager Speculation

maqroll

42 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yeah it’s about as likely as a couple of multibillionaires  showing up and plucking us from the grasping fingers of HMRC. People need to get real!

Or Fosun and Mendes being in charge of a little club in Wolverhampton, bringing in Nuno and Champions League quality players.

You just have to go through the thread for all the "Why would any sane person invest in a failing business that is Aston Villa" etc.

Which I personally never understood.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, holteend1982 said:

So after gambling everything last season to get promotion you think this season we should gamble even more? No matter how rich an owner we have we still need sort this ffp and awful financial situation out before we even think about taking risks imo. 

Not quite sure how you  got that from what I said other than not selling Jack and getting a proper manager, I personally wouldn't call it a gamble, but hey that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheEgo said:

Not quite sure how you  got that from what I said other than not selling Jack and getting a proper manager, I personally wouldn't call it a gamble, but hey that's my opinion and you're entitled to yours

Because sacking a manager a few weeks before the season starts is a gamble... 

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

So we can't take any risks? You're in the wrong thread if you don't want to be talking about new managers bud ?

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As well as sacking a manager in January

OR

halfway through the season

OR

when he hasn't had money to spend

OR

When there is FFP

OR

When we were in state for years

OR

when we need stability

OR 

When no one else has done it 4 times

OR

When they know the squad

OR

When we were only 90 minutes form promotion

OR

When Trump is president

Have I missed anything?

Weird how we've managed to do it more times in the last eight years than we did in the previous thirty then, isn't it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As well as sacking a manager in January

OR

halfway through the season

OR

when he hasn't had money to spend

OR

When there is FFP

OR

When we were in state for years

OR

when we need stability

OR 

When no one else has done it 4 times

OR

When they know the squad

OR

When we were only 90 minutes form promotion

OR

When Trump is president

Have I missed anything?

Good one. 

trying to replace a manager this close to the start of the season as an unnecessary risk, especially when it's the likes of Henry been touted to take the role. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yeah it’s about as likely as a couple of multibillionaires  showing up and plucking us from the grasping fingers of HMRC. People need to get real!

Getting someone like Wenger as a championship club isnt happening no matter who has taken us over.

23 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Everything in life is a gamble.  The question is whether getting a new manager in is more / less of a gamble than keeping the existing manager.  Keeping Bruce would probably be less of a gamble than hiring an unproven manager.  But hiring Wenger would be less of a risk than keeping Bruce.  Surely it is impossible to determine whether hiring a new manager is an unnecessary risk until the name of the new manager is revealed?  Also if you have no confidence that the current manager is the right man to achieve your ambitions for the season then it is less of a risk to replace him now and give the new manager time to sign new players that he wants / start trying to get the team playing his style of football than it is 6, 8, 10 weeks into the season.  If the new owners want to be playing Premier League football next season then it is up to them to determine (a) whether Bruce has the capability to do that and (b) whether there is someone else who they think is more likely to do so. 

Also (and I appreciate that this wasn't your comment) just because you buy 5 crap cars on the trot doesn't mean that you should keep your current car.  Maybe you just need to get better advice on which car to buy.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

But hiring Wenger would be less of a risk than keeping Bruce. 

If he could be persuaded Wenger would be amazing, I think he'd be as good as Benitez, however he's probably still sobbing about Arsenal. Out of contract tho!

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Everything in life is a gamble.  The question is whether getting a new manager in is more / less of a gamble than keeping the existing manager.  Keeping Bruce would probably be less of a gamble than hiring an unproven manager.  But hiring Wenger would be less of a risk than keeping Bruce.  Surely it is impossible to determine whether hiring a new manager is an unnecessary risk until the name of the new manager is revealed?  Also if you have no confidence that the current manager is the right man to achieve your ambitions for the season then it is less of a risk to replace him now and give the new manager time to sign new players that he wants / start trying to get the team playing his style of football than it is 6, 8, 10 weeks into the season.  If the new owners want to be playing Premier League football next season then it is up to them to determine (a) whether Bruce has the capability to do that and (b) whether there is someone else who they think is more likely to do so. 

Also (and I appreciate that this wasn't your comment) just because you buy 5 crap cars on the trot doesn't mean that you should keep your current car.  Maybe you just need to get better advice on which car to buy.

I understand everything is a gamble but I do not see the point in changing at this time especially with the window shutting earlier than we are used to. We are still in a lot of trouble currently with finances and ffp, imo this season will just be a mid table finish, we will still sell off some players reduce wages etc. 

Henry may be a brilliant coach but we need more than that, Bruce's role is like an old school manager, involved in far more than just the on  pitch duties.

Hopefully the new guys put a better process in place that a good coach can come in and do just that, but it's too early atm. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Good one. 

trying to replace a manager this close to the start of the season as an unnecessary risk, especially when it's the likes of Henry been touted to take the role. 

When Wenger joined Arsenal I believe it was just a few games into the season. He replace Bruce Rioch, who had had a decent season the year before and Arsenal were on an upward trajectory, if I recall correctly. I thought who? some guy from The J League. And why have they sacked one of my boyhood heroes, they must be mad. Risks eh.......

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

When Wenger joined Arsenal I believe it was just a few games into the season. He replace Bruce Rioch, who had had a decent season the year before and Arsenal were on an upward trajectory, if I recall correctly. I thought who? some guy from The J League. And why have they sacked one of my boyhood heroes, they must be mad. Risks eh.......

He also inherited a quality team that luckily took his ideas on board. That defence, ian Wright, merse, bergkamp

Houllier took over similar situation here and players revolted

If we could bring in Henry and give him a 30m warchest then fair enough but we can't (yet) so I think sticking with Bruce while we're under financial cosh is the way to go.

He knows the squad and be honest, he's not a terrible manager, just a little bit limited as most of the Championship managers are.  

Stability for a couple of years please. Get promoted and bring in Southgate for an emotional charge at the Premier Elite. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Henry may be a brilliant coach but we need more than that, Bruce's role is like an old school manager, involved in far more than just the on  pitch duties.

Hopefully the new guys put a better process in place that a good coach can come in and do just that, but it's too early atm. 

Posted the above before reading this. Absolutely agree and think this is the unpopular but sensible approach to 18/19.

2 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

If we could bring in Henry and give him a 30m warchest then fair enough but we can't (yet) so I think sticking with Bruce while we're under financial cosh is the way to go.

He knows the squad and be honest, he's not a terrible manager, just a little bit limited as most of the Championship managers are.  

Stability for a couple of years please. Get promoted and bring in Southgate for an emotional charge at the Premier Elite. 

Wot? A couple years?? With these owners? No way, we need to get promited now!