New Manager Speculation

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He also inherited a quality team that luckily took his ideas on board. That defence, ian Wright, merse, bergkamp

Houllier took over similar situation here and players revolted

Yes of course our situations are massively different. But my point is, to a point you have to take calculated risks to progress. Whilst I’m not advocating recklessness, we’ve just done that, I don’t believe we can be totally risk averse. Understandable though that is given our recent history. I also don’t think that successful businessmen like our new owners will be risk averse either. Not that that necessarily means they won’t keep Bruce of course. 

@AVTuco When I say stability, that doesn't necessarily mean in the Championship.

I agree, I want promotion this season. These guys could do some damage in market, potentially. 

In fact, I should probably amend it to "stability for many years" but I'm just stating the obvious there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

@AVTuco When I say stability, that doesn't necessarily mean in the Championship.

I agree, I want promotion this season. These guys could do some damage in market, potentially. 

In fact, I should probably amend it to "stability for many years" but I'm just stating the obvious there. 

Ok, I read it as we need to 'do stabilising for years' and only then look for promotion. 

(I also want to be overexcited after such a unique turnaround in our, well, fortunes ?)

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Olof, Olof, Olof

If he had an experienced head with him i wouldnt be against it. Has 2 seasons under his belt pity about lack of badges

Olof and Gregory as No. 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If he had an experienced head with him i wouldnt be against it. Has 2 seasons under his belt pity about lack of badges

Olof and Gregory as No. 2

I thought he’d done all his badges. 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He had dispensation in sweden to manage top flight but quit to concentrate on them

Ok, well at least he’s doing them. My heart says yes, my head isn’t so sure. Well to be honest I don’t really know anything about him as a manager, but I’m sure we’d all give him a good character reference. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Maybe we should hire Maradona on that basis or Ronaldinho 

My post was a bit in jest. I'm actually torn between risk taking and sticking with bruce tbh. The former seems worth it if you're optimistic about the chances of it turning good, but the latter seems like a reasonable option under the current circumstances.

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ok, well at least he’s doing them. My heart says yes, my head isn’t so sure. Well to be honest I don’t really know anything about him as a manager, but I’m sure we’d all give him a good character reference. 

2 promotions out of 2 seasons is bloody impressive

The fact is, either one of them, or anyone else for that matter,  could be disastrous or brilliant. Those people with more knowledge and the ability to assess these things, will have the task of deciding who manages us next season. Whoever they decide on there will be an element of both risk and luck. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hang on a minute. You’d be against one of the greatest premier league players ever and the number 2 to the third placed Belgium team but you’d welcome a manager with 2 years experience in Sweden with John bloody Gregory and his guitar alongside side him. 

Is this a windup?

Well was proposed wenger as director of football which he has no experience of and henry as manager which he has no experience in 

So yes. At least they would also care about villa instead of being here for the money

• Like 1

FWIW, hiring any manager is taking a chance. Steve Bruce has enjoyed success at this level elsewhere, but many people want him gone.

Whoever replaces him does not guarantee promotion - be it Guardiola, Benitez, Smith or Henry. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

If Henry is considered feasible - what about JT as manager ? 

Won't be hsppening as he has now retired as a player, shelved his plans to become a manager and has taken the role at Sky Television (obviously replacing the hole Henry has left).

I am still mainly convinced Henry is going to be our new manager or maybe someone else, but it won't be Bruce.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bobzy said:

FWIW, hiring any manager is taking a chance. Steve Bruce has enjoyed success at this level elsewhere, but many people want him gone.

Whoever replaces him does not guarantee promotion - be it Guardiola, Benitez, Smith or Henry. 

I dunno about that one.. the rest I give you. :)