New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it will be a manager that has at least some experience. Not Terry or Henry. Sacking Bruce for a complete unknown is something you’d expect Fox and co to do.

He has some experience tho, two years with Belgium as assistant... seriously I asked this before but how big is the step up from assistant manager to manager?! Didn’t AVB do that?

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Amazing..  deemed by many on here as too inexperienced for us, yet Monaco seem to trust him enough - and they're in the champions league!

Fwiw,  I don't want Terry &/or Faria as manager.

And time will tell whether he can be an effective manager. You can be emotional all you like, the end of the day we all want what is best for Villa. We will have differing opinions, but as much as Henry was a fabulous player, and could be a great coach one day, he doesn't have the minimum experience to be considered ready to be a Manager IMO. 

If he took the Villa job I would have been a 100% behind him, but he didn't he decided to go to Monaco, which reinforced my concerns about him being appointed.

Edited by QldVilla

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

Very, very early days...I am not overly taken with Pursilow, and Jesus - Although the manager is by good a stretch the most significant appointment they will make.....heres hoping.

What basis would you have for either liking or disliking their efforts made thus far?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It’s still a much easier club to manage on the face of it. He’s played there before and he just needs to keep them up this season in what is essentially a one team league. 

The notion that he turned down Aston Villa because we weren’t good enough for him I don’t believe is a valid one. Perhaps he turned down the challenge because it was offered with the caveat, “get promoted sooner rather than later”. Which means he wasn’t good enough for us. 

When calling a one-team league easy, it only really works if he were taking over that one team. Surely Monaco is as valid a managerial vacancy as our own and removing rose-tinted glasses, it's not a bad option. That's not to say Villa isn't a massive challenge, so I agree overall—not only does the new manager have to turn this shit show around, but they have to then somehow get us promoted and then somehow get us to a level of Premiership football that we are so shockingly far behind at the moment. And they have to do it with no defenders and a pretend keeper. I'd personally spin the whole thing the other way—I think we're a bit of a dangerous proposition atm. What could a new manager do to fix that defence/keeper situation with no transfer window for two months? We risk destroying a new manager.

**** it. I've scared myself. I'd appoint big Sam. We're not in a position to appoint a rookie.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

How can Henry officially turn down something that hasnt been officially offered? Villa hadnt been in touch with the Belgian FA last we heard. Where is this rejection if its official?

I still dont think there's one journalist who knows whats going on. Not one.

If there is any truth in it, it's probably more a case of he's withdrawn from the running rather than turned down. A bit like when Moyes did previously. Quite easy for anyone to describe it's as turned down let alone a journalist.

I doubt Matt Law has any reason to make it up though, being a fan himself.

2 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I'd personally spin the whole thing the other way—I think we're a bit of a dangerous proposition atm. What could a new manager do to fix that defence/keeper situation with no transfer window for two months? We risk destroying a new manager.

Exactly this. We are not an attractive proposition for a managers first job. This is one of the most difficult jobs out there. 

I would also like to officially confirm that I have turned down the Villa job.  I have rejected them.  I have spurned the Villa *

I now await for another manager of a different club to be made redundant at some point in the future so I can take their job instead.

* I have not actually been offered the job but that's not the point

• Like 1

https://socceronsunday.com/article/big-sam-appointed-new-aston-villa-manager/

Big Sam Appointed New Aston Villa Manager

Big Sam New Villa Manager

-

Sam Allardyce has been appointed manager of Aston Villa on a 5 year deal. The former England manager replaces Roberto Di Matteo following the Italian’s sacking after just 124 days in charge.

Allardyce admits that he has mixed feelings about the new challenge.

Comedown

Big Sam“I’d be lying if I said Villa wasn’t a huge comedown from the England gig,” he told Soccer on Sunday. “It’s a humiliation, if I’m honest. Having to take the Villa job is every manager’s worst nightmare. But I’ve hit my rock bottom now. The only way from Villa Park is up. I can’t sink any lower — that’s for sure.”

“Some would say I deserve this,” added the former West Ham manager. “I got loose-lipped over a few pints of vino and lost the only job I ever wanted. Managing Aston Villa might be God’s way of punishing me, but it’s a cruel sentence. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.”

Grealish

Jack GrealishAccording to Jack Grealish, Big Sam wasted no time in addressing the Villa squad after training today.

“The gaffer levelled with us,” the midfielder told Soccer on Sunday. “He said he doesn’t want to be here any more than we do, and that we’re all here because we’ve done something wrong. But it’s our job now to claw ourselves out of this West Midlands shit hole. Micah Richards tried to start a ‘slow clap’, but it fizzled out.”

“Then the gaffer broke down crying and sat down on the ground,” added Grealish. “He just kept saying ‘Stupid Sam, Stupid Sam’ over and over, and smacking his forehead with his fist. Agbonlahorsy tried to put an arm around him, but the gaffer just screamed ‘DON’T TOUCH ME WITH THOSE FILTHY VILLA PAWS’.”

FutureAllardyce

Allardyce insists that his stay at Villa Park will be short.

“I just hope one day people forget I managed Villa,” he told Soccer on Sunday. “I have grandkids. I don’t want them googling me when they’re older, seeing their grandad in the Villa dugout. That would break my heart.”

P.S. Sorry!

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The more i think about it why haven't we attempted AVB? Terry could definitely work under him and I think he plays great football.

Also be a huge name

He's very defence minded.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The more i think about it why haven't we attempted AVB? Terry could definitely work under him and I think he plays great football.

Also be a huge name

Not sure on that one mate, wasn’t it well publicised that the Chelsea players just didn’t get on/respect AVB?

I don’t mind the idea of AVB but I don’t see the partnership with Terry as viable.

This managerial search scares me to be honest. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we finally got rid of Bruce but the options out there are very limited and not all that appealing. Sounds like Henry is more interested in Monaco (who can blame him) and I don't like the idea of giving John Terry the managers job due to his lack of experience, though I think he'd work well as a number two. Some folks saying Brendan Rogers but seem to forget that he's got a solid strong team in the Scottish Premier Division, which with the greatest respect might be one of the most boring and one sided leagues in the World. Dean Smith appeals to me, but I can't see Brentford letting him go nor Dean just abandoning Brentford given the work he's done there. I don't know a damn thing about the foreign managers to be fair. 

Hopefully the folks in charge know what they're doing. But if we end up with bloody David Moyles or Sam Allardyce I might just jump off a cliff.  ?

• Like 1