New Manager Speculation

maqroll

48 minutes ago, villadodo said:

Mourinho's assistants have not had the best track record have they? Karanka? AVB? Steve Clarke? Would be quite underwhelmed by this to be honest.

Karanka has done ok hasn't he. Was fine with Boro and seems to be doing a solid job with Forest. AVB and Clarke have their limitations as managers, however I think we've hopefully got a better structure in place to let them focus on coaching

Some insight on Faria..

Rui Faria: Jose Mourinho's loyal assistant, fitness guru and attack dog

8 Jul, 2016

Jose Mourinho has finally begun work as the new Manchester United manager and he has brought several of his most trusted followers with him. Chief among them is Rui Faria, the fitness coach and assistant renowned for his unshakeable loyalty and fiery temper.

ESPN FC takes a closer look at the other man who will soon be prowling the Old Trafford dugout this season.

Who is he?

Faria is Mourinho's longest-serving assistant and most trusted advisor -- or as Mourinho himself once described him: "my methodology right arm." It was no surprise to see the two men walking side-by-side in London as reports of an imminent agreement with Manchester United intensified; they have been close on and off the training pitch for the last 15 years, since Mourinho appointed Faria as his fitness coach and video analyst in his first managerial role at Uniao de Leiria in 2001.

Where is he from?

Born in the modest town of Barcelos in northern Portugal, Faria never played football at any significant level (like Mourinho) and instead made his living as a physical education teacher. The two men met when Faria attended a coaching seminar at Barcelona's Camp Nou, where Mourinho was then employed as Louis van Gaal's assistant manager.

Mourinho found that he and Faria shared a similar outlook on coaching and took the younger man with him to Leiria, though their first adventure might have ended before it began. Faria was convinced he would be sacked only a fortnight into the job when Mourinho got involved in an ugly standoff with the club's chairman, who had insisted on coming to watch a training session. In the end, Mourinho got his way and peace reigned.

What does he control?

Faria's main remit is still as a fitness coach, tasked with devising ways to maintain the peak condition of players and minimise the risk of injuries. But over time his role has broadened as Mourinho's trust in him has grown, and in recent years he has also regularly advised his manager on tactical and strategic matters both on and off the pitch.

In his controversial book "The Special One: The Dark Side of Jose Mourinho," Spanish journalist Diego Torres claims that Faria was chosen to act as the intermediary between Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo at Real Madrid, due to the fact that the superstar regarded him as a trusted counsellor and friend.

Faria does not, however, keep a public profile. Over the course of Mourinho's career it has always been the other "local" assistant coach -- Steve Clarke and Steve Holland at Chelsea; Giuseppe Bergomi at Inter; Aitor Karanka at Real Madrid -- who attends news conferences whenever the manager is unavailable or unwilling. Faria does his work exclusively behind the curtain.

This is unlikely to change at Old Trafford, though Ryan Giggs' departure leaves few obvious candidates to take on any media responsibilities that Mourinho delegates.

What is his style?

Asked about his many coaching disciples during the BT Sport documentary "Jose Mourinho -- Portrait of a Champion" last summer, Mourinho singled out Faria as "the one with more similarities with me, even in some traces of personality."

These similarities constitute the good and the bad. Like Mourinho, Faria is smart and a keen learner, priding himself on being a meticulous planner with a formidable work ethic. But his spiky personality also reflects some of the less admirable character traits of his boss.

In the dugout on matchdays, Faria regularly acts as Mourinho's attack dog, haranguing referees and fourth officials on his manager's behalf. During the 2011-12 season that saw Real Madrid wrestle the title from Barcelona, he was sent off four times in as many months for protesting decisions. The most memorable Chelsea flashpoint came in April 2014 during the closing stages of a 2-1 defeat to Sunderland -- the loss ended Mourinho's long unbeaten home run in league matches and all but ended his team's Premier League title challenge.

Faria worked himself into a rage at the awarding of a Sunderland penalty by referee Mike Dean and had to be restrained by Mourinho before being shepherded down the Stamford Bridge tunnel by other Chelsea staff. He received a six-match stadium ban from the Football Association, reduced to four on appeal.

If Sir Bobby Charlton and other more traditionally-minded members of the United hierarchy once harboured concerns about Mourinho's abrasive public persona, they are unlikely to take a liking to Faria.

Why does Mourinho value him so highly?

In a word: loyalty. Faria has been at Mourinho's side longer than any other member of his current inner circle -- even goalkeeping coach Silvino Louro, who has followed Mourinho since his time at Porto and is expected to replace the departed Frans Hoek at United.

"If one day I have to speak about disciples, the real one is the one that is with me since 2000," Mourinho said of Faria last summer. "The one that has more potential than any other one, the one that if he wants to become a manager tomorrow he is more than ready to do it at the highest level, but is the one that simply is enjoying so much to be where he is that doesn't have that feeling."

Faria has never sought a managerial role elsewhere even as he watched former colleagues Andre Villas-Boas, Baltemar Brito, Karanka and Jose Morais all strike out on their own coaching paths to varying degrees of success.

When Mourinho was accused of breaching a UEFA stadium ban for a Champions League quarterfinal against Bayern Munich during his first Chelsea spell, Faria was the man spotted in the Stamford Bridge dugout wearing a woolly hat and -- allegedly -- a concealed earpiece.

When Mourinho took a nine-month break between his first Chelsea sacking in September 2007 and arrival at Inter in June 2008, so too did Faria.

The two men have been inseparable for 15 years, their relationship underpinning Mourinho's astonishing run of coaching successes. United hope it will yield more silverware in the coming seasons -- though if history is any guide, they should be prepared for more than a few fireworks along the way.

http://www.espn.com.au/football/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/2881198/rui-faria-jose-mourinhos-loyal-assistant-fitness-guru-and-attack-dog

The phrases in bold are the reasons I think we could be on to a winner.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Rui Faria is worse than Mourinho on the touch line. He will rake up fines and cause all sorts of problems in terms of discipline 

The dribbling moron behind me will be pleased then. "PASHUN, THAT'S ALL WE WANT IS PASHUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If we get Faria and Terry as assistant that would very exciting! I know they’re both relatively inexperienced at the roles they would be coming in at, but Faria has been assistant as some very big clubs, Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd... so you would think he must’ve picked up the ‘winning’ attitude. 

It seems to be you either go for tried and tested (same old managerial merry go round) or you go for someone relatively inexperienced who has promise. We’ve tried one, let’s try the other. 

Could be a good cop/bad cop thing where Terry is the good cop ? as Faria is pretty crazy isn’t he!?

• Like 3

Faria would be a step up from Henry in terms of his coaching experience. Whether that makes him more likely to succeed as a manager then who knows. I'd be happy for him to bring Terry with him and having someone who knows the attributes of 90% of the squad inside out could be crucial in terms of hitting the ground running.

Personally I'd love it to be Rodgers and if not him then Smith. Rodgers may not be get able but Smith certainly should be.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If we get Faria and Terry as assistant that would very exciting! I know they’re both relatively inexperienced at the roles they would be coming in at, but Faria has been assistant as some very big clubs, Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd... so you would think he must’ve picked up the ‘winning’ attitude. 

It seems to be you either go for tried and tested (same old managerial merry go round) or you go for someone relatively inexperienced who has promise. We’ve tried one, let’s try the other. 

Could be a good cop/bad cop thing where Terry is the good cop ? as Faria is pretty crazy isn’t he!?

From what I have read in the last few hours Faria is quite humble and respectful in his dealings and only really gets himself into trouble with adversaries.

What I like about Faria is that he has a fitness background and was also video analyst.

The former because he understands the discipline of structure and planning to obtain a desired goal, as well as understanding the practicalities of being an elite athlete. The latter because he will value the assessment of our opponents and that will presumably mean we are better organised and prepared for each fixture.

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

If Terry is the good cop Faria must be stark raving bonkers!

• Haha 3

If he feels that he's ready for the step up, then I'd definitely give him a shot. He's worked at some of the biggest clubs in the world with some of the best players, alongside one of the most successful coaches of modern times. He's definitely not going to take any shit from any of the players, either. Him in with JT as his assistant would be a good move IMO. 

• Like 3

My first choice has always been Smith .... A manager who knows his job and the Championship in detail.

A manager who will get his head down and do what he does best .... get the maximum out of the players at his disposal.

He will improve us considerably, and will do so while others get on with buying and selling players and running everything else except for Smith's remit .... coaching and match day.

We can revisit the managerial search for "THE ONE" in May (if necessary), when we have a lot more time and a clear picture of where we're at.

Who knows, Smith may even get us promoted this season, but even if he doesn't we'll be in much better shape as a team.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Have we not had Brentford fans or people ITK on here before explaining why Dean Smith would likely fail at Villa (and subsequently why he's relatively successful at Brentford)?

I hope to McGrath we don't appoint Smith.

So no doubt, we will.

If Smith was appointed, I would expect him to do just what he does at Brentford. We clearly want to move to a Head Coach and coaching team structure, with a DOF and perhaps out sourcing an effective way of procuring younger players with sell on values. so we'll be moving towards a 'richer' version of the Brentford model anyway.