New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Much like my brief, but pleasant, love affair with ole gunnar solskjaer I am now over Henry and think we might have dodged a bullet.

Fickle? Perhaps, but I enjoyed it, now I wonder who else will be in the mix! :)

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

A thought on the Terry rumours, but as to a wider point; how often do players return/go straight in to managing a team they've only just played for?

Dalglish did it and won the double.

2 hours ago, John said:

Dalglish did it and won the double.

But he took on a team in very good shape - runners up in the Football League and European Cup the previous season. The outgoing manager (Joe Fagan) had been successful, and resigned for non-football reasons (mainly the Heysel disaster). Dalglish's job was to keep things heading in the same direction. I love the positivity, and I'd love to think JT will be Villa's King Kenny, but not sure we present a similar opportunity at the moment!

I didn't want to say anything negative about Henry, even though I didn't believe he was properly tested to become a Manager at this point. I had the suspicion that he was after any job and Villa would be a stepping stone. Now he gets to be at a team with Champions League football.

The talk seems to be about Terry now, I would still prefer Rodgers, but would love him as an assistant to the successful candidate. Rui Faria has to also be a strong candidate, he's done his time as an assistant and if anyone deserves a shot.

• Like 1

I think the most important aspect for any new manager is how their name fits into John McGinns song, which is probably why Herny wont get the gig. 

Brendan Rodgers fits in quite well ?

45 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I didn't want to say anything negative about Henry, even though I didn't believe he was properly tested to become a Manager at this point. I had the suspicion that he was after any job and Villa would be a stepping stone. Now he gets to be at a team with Champions League football.

The talk seems to be about Terry now, I would still prefer Rodgers, but would love him as an assistant to the successful candidate. Rui Faria has to also be a strong candidate, he's done his time as an assistant and if anyone deserves a shot.

Amazing..  deemed by many on here as too inexperienced for us, yet Monaco seem to trust him enough - and they're in the champions league!

Fwiw,  I don't want Terry &/or Faria as manager.

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Big sam must be due a stint as odds on favourite soon ?

Need to wait for the "sky sources" first, then he will be up there and Villatalk goes into meltdown because of the inevitability cause he's favourite in da betting. 

Rodgers or Smith for me, someone with a footballing identity. Look what Monk is doing with the alliance from Small Heath. OK, they may be below us in terms of league position but he's had them ripping teams apart at times this season and, with any two our strikers, would have them near the top of the league by now. 

Decent footie is now what's needed so at least we have something to look forward to on match days. 

57 minutes ago, av1 said:

I think the most important aspect for any new manager is how their name fits into John McGinns song, which is probably why Herny wont get the gig. 

Brendan Rodgers fits in quite well ?

"Brendan Rodgers John McGinn".

Yeah I like the sound of that.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Amazing..  deemed by many on here as too inexperienced for us, yet Monaco seem to trust him enough - and they're in the champions league!

Fwiw,  I don't want Terry &/or Faria as manager.

Monaco suits him better than we do. We are a tough gig and Henry knows it. 

• Like 2