New Manager Speculation

maqroll

9 minutes ago, privateer said:

See above. It does sound like a US approach but there seems to be a good likelihood a DOF is coming in, so perhaps a better analogy would be like the NFL where we are getting a head coach (DOF), offensive coach (Henry) and a defensive coach (Terry).

Obviously, I'm speculating wildly on that and on the next point too. I mentioned a few days ago I wouldn't be surprised to see a new manager and a DOF announced together. I didn't expect a Henry/Terry coaching team but I think there is every chance we will get a three-strong team announced.

Who the DOF could be, God only knows but he will have to be an impressive character to be commanding the respect of Henry and Terry. So, in light of that if one comes in - and they will know if one is coming or not and who he is, I'm sure - then I think it bodes well. They are not coming here to work for Alan Pardew as DOF, for example. It's going to be someone with gravitas, I think.

It would be an interesting approach.

A team rather then one man.

Football is in many ways an ortodhox sport compared to many other sports. Maybe even more so in England. 

Exciting times. 

Every managerial appointment is a gamble to some degree.

We've done the experienced proven manager in Bruce and Houllier, the "fans choice" in Lambert, the up-and-coming Englishman in Sherwood, the foreigner with a track record in Garde and the proven failure in McLeish. And they've all failed.

So we're about due to try the unproven foreign manager.

I'd probably choose Rogers myself, but I love the idea of Henry at the club. Sure it might not work, but what's new? It's an exciting appointment, I'm pretty sure it would excite the players too, and I hope it happens. Henry talks a very good game, if he can get the players on the same wavelength then things will be looking pretty good at Villa Park.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I prefer Henry's analysis on Lacazette

"(Xhaka) can play that ball. Why go sideways? Play him in"

"I used to hate crossing for the sake of crossing. Keep your composure. Play the ball"

Thank you for that. This one is also fanastic on how Pep set him up at Barcelona.

P3. Play, Possession, Position. 

I know its easy for someone to speak about tactics after the fact, but I have not heard an Aston Villa manager speak this intelligently in a long time. I am getting quite excited if he comes.

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

I prefer Henry's analysis on Lacazette

"(Xhaka) can play that ball. Why go sideways? Play him in"

"I used to hate crossing for the sake of crossing. Keep your composure. Play the ball"

This, a thousand times this.

I've seen it mentioned a few times in the last couple of years that Villa put in more crosses than any other team in the championship.

Watching the above clip and Henry talking about crossing for the sake of crossing is like music to my ears, we dont look up enough. I have seen Adomah, Taylor and Elmo time and time again put crosses in without even looking up to see where the players are. Its hopeless aimless cross after cross, even more frustrating when theres only one man in the box with 4 or 5 opposition players. 

The more analysis clips I watch from Henry the more excited I'm getting. 

• Like 3

When can we open a Thierry thread? I'm sure I've seen threads started while still under speculation..... This is happening peeps.... Get on board the Terry Henry train!

Edited by Villan_of_oz

8 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Rubbish. We lost by far our best player the summer before he came in and had no investment whatsoever. We finished three positions lower. Houllier 'destroyed' nothing. Do you remember starting the season with a CM of Hogg and Bannan?There's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

There were people relishing criticising Houllier at the time and I'd have hoped the utter shit state we've dwindled to would have offered some perspective. 

I hope our new managers don't get the same ride!

Don't really want to get into a houllier debate. We lost one player, and he was able to smash our transfer record on a player who had a huge impact, and while we did finish 9th, it would have been much lower if it hadn't been for the little run we had at the end when he was away from the team with health issues. We spent the majority of the season in the bottom half. 

We had a solid defence and an excellent record when going a goal behind. He destroyed both pretty quickly. He also played ashley young in a number 10 role, and lets not forget his day out at anfield. 

Our utter shit state doesn't change that. To my original point, henry will have nothing to worry about in terms of time when trying to change our style. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hippo said:

I said as soon as Bruce was sacked - we don't want to end with a manager who we think  "hmmmm ....might be alright ...you never know"  - and we appear to be doing exactly that.

Even those lauding the appointment are ass covering already " it will take time " , "what can he do about the defence" 

Even those who supported Bruce said we should give him time and we did, why shouldn't we do the same if Henry comes in? I will be supporting Henry and Terry and give them time if it happens. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

When can we open a Thierry thread? I'm sure I've seen threads started while still under speculation..... This is happening peeps.... Get on board the Terry Henry train!

Anyone can do it if you post an article with reliable speculation.  There must be one in other football left over from the summer speculation so I assume eventually the mods will move that back in here, otherwise just use this thread.

Anyway I'm starting to get really excited about Villa for once.  Hopefully this gets announced today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John said:

It's looking likely that we're going for the Henry/Terry dream team then. Doing a Rangers and Derby by appointing ex-players, in our case one of whom has coaching experience at international level and the other has recent knowledge of the club, the players and of the division we are currently operating in. 

They will both have immediate respect in the dressing room given what they achieved as players and they will raise the profile of the club. What potential signing would not be attracted by the prospect of signing for a club managed by them? Potential sponsors would also be forming a queue to be associated with our club. Teams (not least Chelsea and Arsenal) would be happy to loan their young players to us given who they would be working with.

They both have the potential to make it as managers and if we can attract them both then I think they have a more than decent chance of turning things around on the playing side. Someone will take a chance on them so why not us? Unlike some of our other potential managerial targets they may also want to come here now. They will have fresh ideas and enthusiasm. What's not to like? 

I hope, other than getting in a defender or two and a keeper, Henry won't need to bring in any players.  The first job is to coach and motivate the squad we've already got properly, something we've been missing for too long.

• Like 1