New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Today will be the day when they start talking with managers that are currently employed. Think about it, it's the International break and most likely players will have been given today and possibly tomorrow off as they don't have a game for another week.

No-one is going to contact the club and ask for permission to speak to a manager unless it's to negotiate a financial package and compensation. Instead, clandestine meetings will be held in directors and chairman's homes. 

Henry and Terry have most likely already been spoken with. Today and tomorrow will Rodgers and Smith. One of these could just wow the owners.

It's not a done deal yet.

• Like 2

I have my reservations about Henry but at the tail end of Bruce's time I'd resigned myself to accepting anything that came next as long as there was a change so as much as I'm sceptical I'm willing to be patient and see what happens. What I don't understand is how up for a combo of him and Terry as his assistant many seem to be. JT would definitely be a good addition as part of a wider coaching staff, if nothing else because of how widely accepted it is that he has a massively positive impact on the dressing room, but supplementing a completely novice manager with a completely novice coach sets off alarm bells for me.

Assuming Henry gets it, which it seems he will. Still don't believe the Rodgers links but think it would be amazing if we could get him.

Edited by Indigo

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt Henry would take the job without assurances of money to spend.

Fair point, but we thought the same about Bielsa and as of yet that hasnt really been the case. 

Would seem unlikely you would be able to spend big in January without sales anyways wouldn't it? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TRO said:

As you say......no guarantee's in football.

but we have our dreams.

we haven't had any chips for folk to piss on.......now we might have some.

I can read between the lines ?

You're really hoping for Dwight Yorke ?

20 hours ago, TRO said:

Gary Neville, may have been left out to dry wuth no support.

I think our new people will give TH all the support he needs ( assuming its happening)

Maybe, Valencia did spend big the summer before Neville arrived, there manager was Nuno interestingly. 

20 hours ago, brommy said:

I’d have said the same, right up until Terry joined us in the summer last year. After witnessing a season of leadership on the pitch, leadership off the pitch, 100% effort, great application and at least appearing to totally ‘buy in to our club’ (not always done by players despite being paid the money), I was forced to correct my opinion.

"Hes a clearing in the woods but hes one of our own" sort of thing 

Think he is probably the sort of player who you really want at your club when he arrives, but from the outside he comes across as a smug idiot (full kit for a trophy presentation you didnt play in John). 

" a clearing in the woods" ?

Edited by Cjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

Purslow wants a process involving approaching Rogers, Smith and Howe and decide at the end of that interview process. 

No idea if your post is true or not but this is the approach I would like.

When Henry was mentioned in the summer I was concerned that the new owners had just gone "Ive heard of him, he's hired!"

If Henry is he chosen man after a proper process of recruiting a new guy then i'll feel much more comfortable (as I would be with whoever got the job)

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Petrov - No 

Henry - Maybe

Henry/Terry - Yes

Rodgers - Big Yes

No room for sentiment here with Petrov I'm afraid.

I read it as Petrov would be on the coaching ticket with Rodgers

We have played safe many a time over the past few seasons.

I'm all for taking a risk and going with Henry/Terry combination.

I do not like Rogers, think he flatters to deceive and has his head up his own arse.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder what everyone thought of the great Guardiola not knowing Mahrez's awful penalty record? If that had been Bruce it would have been all the usual slurs........

That's a weird point to be making in this thread...

• Like 3

The thing for me in all of this is that we are aiming high and if said people will talk to the club, it shows that we are still thought of as a big club.

We ain't scratching around in a bargain basement here are we?

33 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Today will be the day when they start talking with managers that are currently employed. Think about it, it's the International break and most likely players will have been given today and possibly tomorrow off as they don't have a game for another week.

No-one is going to contact the club and ask for permission to speak to a manager unless it's to negotiate a financial package and compensation. Instead, clandestine meetings will be held in directors and chairman's homes. 

Henry and Terry have most likely already been spoken with. Today and tomorrow will Rodgers and Smith. One of these could just wow the owners.

It's not a done deal yet.

I think it is - Rodgers or smith are not coming , I think the new owners are tying up the loose ends regarding Henry 

On 03/09/2018 at 12:25, sheepyvillian said:

It really doesn't sound that far - fetched. What's the limit with dear old, Bournemouth ? He's achieved mid - table mediocrity, I can't see him exceeding that success. He might well see us as a poison chalice, or he might see the potential, ( rich, new, owners ) and challenge, in being able to take this club back to challenging for the top six of the Premier.

The only concern for me would be maybe the job is too big for him, maybe Bournemouth is his comfort zone.

Can't be bothered to go back and check if you're actually talking about Eddie Howe, but if you are, u dizzy blud. 

Also think we'd be extremely lucky to get FSW, he is a very good manager far beyond someone we could realistically hope to attract presently.

But none of that matters Henry + Terry's Barmy Army!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Fair point, but we thought the same about Bielsa and as of yet that hasnt really been the case. 

Would seem unlikely you would be able to spend big in January without sales anyways wouldn't it? 

This is Aston Villa , not Leeds ?

I think we will spend big and gamble on promotion , the new owners have serious wealth and will want promotion fast 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder what everyone thought of the great Guardiola not knowing Mahrez's awful penalty record? If that had been Bruce it would have been all the usual slurs........

I don't want Henry now any more that I did in the summer when it was circulating, if he is appointed I'll support him obviously but I don't see it working on any level.

I reckon Bruce would not have come out and said it was his decision that Mahrez took the penalty....it would have been more like i told him not to take it !!!!