New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Houllier took a team that finished 6th and destroyed anything good about them while attempting to change things. Henry is in a much better situation. Fans have no excuse to not be patient with it.

Henry is in a much worse situation (i.e. the club is 15th in the Championship and floundering, the squad is hugely unbalanced, etc) but I agree that means that it is probably a better time to take over and take a new approach.  I think fans will be patient at least through to the end of January as long as we show some signs of improvement (in performance or approach) and stay clear of the relegation battle.  I don't know what the minimum requirement will be when we come towards the end of the season though - will we be content with avoiding relegation, avoiding the relegation battle, bottom half or top half but outside play-offs?  You could argue that any of the above would have been classed as failure by Bruce - my sense was that SB would have got us finishing somewhere between 8th and 14th, probably finishing top half with a couple of decent spells of results.  So should that become the minimum requirement for any new manager (regardless of who it might be)?  Hopefully this is a moot point as the new regime will herald in improved results and performances that make us all happy.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have said it before but I see absolutely no appeal in hiring Henry except he was a great player.  What does he know about organising defences or signing defenders

We are in no position to be a training course for a high profile wannabee manager

What did Steve Bruce know about scoring wondergoals and threading through balls to the striker?

Same logic.

You would think there isn't alot more that goes into everything you mentioned above aside from who the "Manager" is.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Whilst I like the idea of a Henry terry partnership. Do both not have differing views on style of play ? Terry has made it known he has been most inspired by mourinho, Henry most inspired by Wenger/guardiola. Hope this doesn’t create arguments in future. 

Best scenario for me is terry comes in a coaching capacity while he continues to work on his badges. Either way can’t see him playing second fiddle for long  

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What did Steve Bruce know about scoring wondergoals and threading through balls to the striker?

Same logic.

You would think there isn't alot more that goes into everything you mentioned above aside from who the "Manager" is.

eh we are one of the highest scorers in the league. If we had a half decent defence we would be in top 6 and its what needs to be fixed

Just now, Tony said:

Whilst I like the idea of a Henry terry partnership. Do both not have differing views on style of play ? Terry has made it known he has been most inspired by mourinho, Henry most inspired by Wenger/guardiola. Hope this doesn’t create arguments in future. 

Best scenario for me is terry comes in a coaching capacity while he continues to work on his badges. Either way can’t see him playing second fiddle for long  

That's a good point. It's also 2 big ego's. I don't personally see the fit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But no manager can fix it until Jan. So you can’t write off Henry if he struggles until then.

What 2-0 up against Preston at home - you think no manager could have done better there ? 

If he can only do what Bruce did why are we bringing him in ?

I haven't seen many "anyone will be better than Bruce posts today" 

He has to improve things pretty quickly with more or less what he has - that doesn't mean we win 12 on the bounce - but we have to better than what were - jesus we will be close to the r-zone if our £2m a year manager can only manager 1 win every 8 games or so....?

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have said it before but I see absolutely no appeal in hiring Henry except he was a great player.  What does he know about organising defences or signing defenders

We are in no position to be a training course for a high profile wannabee manager

I imagine Barca considered this before hiring Pep. Come to think of it, when I was in the Bernabau board room I overheard whispered conversation about how Zidane would incorporate zonal marking within the Madrid defence.

We've attempted, and failed miserably, at the trusted and tried, let's take a (calculated) risk. 

Edited by Don_Simon

Just now, Don_Simon said:

I imagine Barca considered this before hiring Pep. Come to think of it, when I was in the Bernabau board room I overheard whispered conversation about how Zidane would incorporate zonal marking within the Madrid defence.

We've tried the trustee and tried, let's take a (calculated) risk. 

But we have also tried risky - in Sherwood and Garde.

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Perhaps he may have an assistant who knows a thing or two about defence, coupled with a modern scouting system. He won’t have to do the half time oranges and take the kit home to wash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

We've attempted, and failed miserably, at the trusted and tried, let's take a (calculated) risk. 

They both managed the clubs B teams though. If Thierry Henry took over Villa Under 23 it would be a different story

1 minute ago, hippo said:

But we have also tried risky - in Sherwood and Garde.

Sherwood was not calculated. It was a gamble on a gobshite from a board who were on their last legs.

Garde I believe was dealt the worst hand any villa manager has ever had to deal with. 

Personal opinion of course.

• Like 3

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Henry is a number 2 lets not forget that. And for a vwry good Belgian national team who have improved massively

I don't think he is actually - I thought he was 3rd assistant or something like that.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Henry is a number 2 lets not forget that. And for a vwry good Belgian national team who have improved massively

Its the greatest generation in Belgian history. I am sure Remi Garde could improve a team with Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois, Lukaku, Mertens, Dembele, Alderweirald etc

Trying to imagine these two as a pair.

Im imagining Thierry will be most influenced tactically by Wenger and pep, focusing on how to keep the ball, how to break teams down and build up play.

At worst he could be viewing us an opportunity to prove himself good enough for an Arsenal job(which if he leaves us for he will have done something very right), at its best wanting to build the kind of legacy with a top to bottom(youth team) structure that those guys have.

Then you have Terry, who has worked under many of the highest profile managers of the last 15 years notably mourinho. In a team focused on how they can nullify the opposition and defensive structure.

If this is a real partnership and they agree on how to set up the potential is huge, they arguably both fill in the areas the other would seem weak.

It could easily be a disaster, and I'd have never even came up with the combination myself but in some wierd way its so left field it really could work as a pair.

• Like 2