New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd still find it surprising if he went from assistant manager at one of the biggest clubs in the country to a coach at a midtable championship team.

Not impossible I guess, but I'd be surprised.

I guess it depends on his relationship with  emery and how much he’s enjoying the job now ,if not  I’d be happy to live with 5-4 wins every week ?

Edited by Eastie

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

So the thing to take away from this thread is that Terry Henry is now two people?

If it's the Premier we're trying to get to, then we should really find a Lenny to partner with Henry.

I’ve read various posters expressing a concern that TH may be on a different level and the players may not be able to do what he’s asking them. I think that’s a genuine concern, but he will already have come across this problem, after all he was an exceptional player.

If he is to be a good coach he will understand that his job is to understand the complexities of the game but break them down into simple and understandable form. I don’t mean he needs to patronise anyone, but we’ve all had good and bad teachers. The good ones explain the same things as the bad ones, but somehow they manage to turn the light on. 

I once read an article about Paul McGrath’s understanding of football. The author basically said his reading of the game was so good that he made it look simple. He said for example, that Macca makes space by standing in it. It sounds obvious, but we’ve not had many who know how to make space for a long time. 

TH won’t come in and ask players to go around three defenders and stick it in the top corner. What I hope he’ll do is create a system or systems that effectively make the game simple but not simplistic and allow players to be comfortable in what they’re being asked to do. Once they have the confidence of a system behind them,  the instinctive part of their talents will be allowed to come to the fore. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

TH won’t come in and ask players to go around three defenders and stick it in the top corner.

Booo Henry out. 

He's just Sam Allardyce in disguise.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve read various posters expressing a concern that TH may be on a different level and the players may not be able to do what he’s asking them. I think that’s a genuine concern, but he will already have come across this problem, after all he was an exceptional player.

If he is to be a good coach he will understand that his job is to understand the complexities of the game but break them down into simple and understandable form. I don’t mean he needs to patronise anyone, but we’ve all had good and bad teachers. The good ones explain the same things as the bad ones, but somehow they manage to turn the light on. 

I once read an article about Paul McGrath’s understanding of football. The author basically said his reading of the game was so good that he made it look simple. He said for example, that Macca makes space by standing in it. It sounds obvious, but we’ve not had many who know how to make space for a long time. 

TH won’t come in and ask players to go around three defenders and stick it in the top corner. What I hope he’ll do is create a system or systems that effectively make the game simple but not simplistic and allow players to be comfortable in what they’re being asked to do. Once they have the confidence of a system behind them,  the instinctive part of their talents will be allowed to come to the fore. 

Very good post.

It would be interesting if he will save the most advance type of tactics/coaching for better quality players.  

I can see him simplifying things to a certain degree.

One thing that is encouraging is that he has worked with Roberto Martinez who for me transformed Swansea City in how they play.

I cannot see Terry being his number 2 btw.

Terry would be part of the coaching staff. 

Edited by Reivax_Villa

14 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Very good post.

It would be interesting if he will save the most advance type of tactics/coaching for better quality players.  

I can see him simplifying things to a certain degree.

One thing that is encouraging is that he has worked with Roberto Martinez who for me transformed Swansea City in how they play.

I cannot see Terry being his number 2 btw.

Terry would be part of the coaching staff. 

I still think Terry is an option for the managers Job. Thats why he has quit playing to make it clear he wants to be a manager.

If he was only coming as coach - why not let him play - esp with our shortage at CB.

I tend to believe that the board have 3 or 4 managers on a shortlist - Terry is one  - so is Henry - but the real search starts today. Both Rodgers and the Belguim FA state they have had no approaches from villa.  

Edited by hippo

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

I still think Terry is an option for the managers Job. Thats why he has quit playing to make it clear he wants to be a manager.

If he was only coming as coach - why not let him play - esp with our shortage at CB.

I tend to believe that the board have 3 or 4 managers on a shortlist - Terry is one  - so is Henry - but the real search starts today. Both Rodgers and the Belguim FA state they have had no approaches from villa.  

He can't become a manager without his qualifications. End of. 

He has retired from playing so clearly doesn't feel fit enough or knows his body can't hack it. So would only come as a coach

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Probably complete horse shit.

I think it is, it's a talkSport special, usually 24 hours late on a rumour, which had already been dispelled by those involved. If he's right it will be pure luck.

9 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think it is, it's a talkSport special, usually 24 hours late on a rumour, which had already been dispelled by those involved. If he's right it will be pure luck.

The story was liked by Stan himself. Which either means he’s laughing at how ridiculous it is or it’s true. 

Edited by villaglint

Apparently there's potential for a bit of a rift. 

The owners want Henry like they did in summer which is why we've approached him and all the stories are out that he's the man. 

Purslow wants a process involving approaching Rogers, Smith and Howe and decide at the end of that interview process. 

Hence contrasting media reports. Very interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

Apparently there's potential for a bit of a rift. 

The owners want Henry like they did in summer which is why we've approached him and all the stories are out that he's the man. 

Purslow wants a process involving approaching Rogers, Smith and Howe and decide at the end of that interview process. 

Hence contrasting media reports. Very interesting. 

Wouldn't have thought it would get to a rift state. Everybody will have an opinion - but once a candidate is identified all will unite behind that.

I do think we are at the shortlist stage - rather than a guy due to be announced today - I wouldnt be surprised if we get to the end of the week without a manager.