New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Perhaps he may have an assistant who knows a thing or two about defence, coupled with a modern scouting system. He won’t have to do the half time oranges and take the kit home to wash. 

They don't wash their own kit....overpaid and pampered?

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I have said it before but I see absolutely no appeal in hiring Henry except he was a great player.  What does he know about organising defences or signing defenders

We are in no position to be a training course for a high profile wannabee manager

I’m sure his backroom coaches will know a thing or two, if not he can just call up Pep or Wenger, ya know simple obvious things to do really.

Just now, Zatman said:

They both managed the clubs B teams though. If Thierry Henry took over Villa Under 23 it would be a different story

Barca's B team, I imagine, would give our first team the sort of smashing 20/20 spirit used to give me in the local skate park.

Just now, Tommo_b said:

I’m sure his backroom coaches will know a thing or two, if not he can just call up Pep or Wenger, ya know simple obvious things to do really.

Pep and Wenger are hardly what I would call top class defensive organisers ;)

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Houllier took a team that finished 6th and destroyed anything good about them while attempting to change things. Henry is in a much better situation. Fans have no excuse to not be patient with it.

Rubbish. We lost by far our best player the summer before he came in and had no investment whatsoever. We finished three positions lower. Houllier 'destroyed' nothing. Do you remember starting the season with a CM of Hogg and Bannan?There's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

There were people relishing criticising Houllier at the time and I'd have hoped the utter shit state we've dwindled to would have offered some perspective. 

I hope our new managers don't get the same ride!

• Like 1

Arguably 2 of the greatest players in the history of the game, and certainly the Premier League era. If they can be 50% as successful as managers/coaches, then we’re doing alright. 

I’m certainly excited by the prospect. It can’t get much worse can it...?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Well i guess he has played against a few, so he might recognise a good one, when he see's it.

are you serious......we have just presided over 10 years of experienced managers signing lumps of poo.....we have spent millions on players worse than what we had, we have let go of players better than what we signed.

We have had rakes of managers unable to get us to do the basic things, we have spent fortunes on compensation for experienced managers.

we are not a training course for a high profile wannabee manager.......we are in deep shit sitting at 15th in the league unable to secure a win, after signing 10 years or so managers who at the time seemed sensible decisions.....we are engulfed in FFP through in the main signing players that have not turned out to be effective for us.

our model is broken.

lets try a new approach.

Agree 100%

• Like 1

I said as soon as Bruce was sacked - we don't want to end with a manager who we think  "hmmmm ....might be alright ...you never know"  - and we appear to be doing exactly that.

Even those lauding the appointment are ass covering already " it will take time " , "what can he do about the defence" 

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well i guess he has played against a few, so he might recognise a good one, when he see's it.

are you serious......we have just presided over 10 years of experienced managers signing lumps of poo.....we have spent millions on players worse than what we had, we have let go of players better than what we signed.

We have had rakes of managers unable to get us to do the basic things, we have spent fortunes on compensation for experienced managers to go.

we are not a training course for a high profile wannabee manager.......we are in deep shit sitting at 15th in the league unable to secure a win, after signing 10 years or so managers who at the time seemed sensible decisions.....we are engulfed in FFP through in the main signing players that have not turned out to be effective for us.

our model is broken.

lets try a new approach.

Agreed

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I said as soon as Bruce was sacked - we don't want to end with a manager who we think  "hmmmm ....might be alright ...you never know"  - and we appear to be doing exactly that.

Even those lauding the appointment are ass covering already " it will take time " , "what can he do about the defence" 

Well Rodgers has ruled himself out so name me one manager that everyone would agree on? Who do you want?

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

^^^ you seem to be good at trying to play devil's advocate without any serious evidence to back you up.....read TRO's response mate!

We have to try something new for a football club that has been stuck in the dark ages of football for too long!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Arguably 2 of the greatest players in the history of the game, and certainly the Premier League era. If they can be 50% as successful as managers/coaches, then we’re doing alright. 

I’m certainly excited by the prospect. It can’t get much worse can it...?

It can, with our shit defence we are certainly capable of entering a relegation battle and we have zero fighters in this squad

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Its the greatest generation in Belgian history. I am sure Remi Garde could improve a team with Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois, Lukaku, Mertens, Dembele, Alderweirald etc

Steve Bruce had one of the best teams in the league last year and this and he failed so really the players doesn't matter how good they are if the management is crap

• Like 2

FFS....we simply have to go down 'a very different' route than the one we've been on recent years.  We have failed miserably on the so called 'tried and trusted' route.....it's time for change so let's give it a go!

"Fortune favours the brave".....so let's do it, just do it!

• Like 1