New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Aston Villa have sacked manager Steve Bruce in a major move by the Championship club’s new owners, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

Bruce’s stormy reign at Villa Park has come to an end after nearly two years in charge, with new chief executive Christian Purslow leading the search for a replacement.

Former Villa defender John Terry, Thierry Henry and Brentford’s Dean Smith are emerging as early contenders to succeed Bruce. Villa are aiming to make an appointment before the home game against Swansea on October 20.

Jorge Mendes, the super-agent, has links to Villa’s new board and could assist in the hunt for a new manager.

Purslow had always intended to give Bruce until October’s international break to mount a revival but results and performances have been a huge disappointment.

Despite financial restrictions, Bruce still managed to sign Chelsea’s Tammy Abraham and Everton’s Yannick Bolasie on loan before the summer transfer window closed, yet the desired improvement in form has not been forthcoming.

Bruce was axed after talks with Purslow on Wednesday afternoon. It is understood many of the players have been left deeply shocked and disappointed by the decision.

Terry, a former Villa captain, is one of the favourites to take over, possibly as player-manager, while Arsenal legend Henry has support on the board. Villa were forced to release a statement in August insisting that Bruce’s job was safe, amid reports that Henry was coming in as manager.

Brentford’s highly-regarded head coach Smith is also likely to figure in Villa’s thoughts. A Villa supporter as a youngster, Smith has established an impressive reputation at Griffin Park for an attractive brand of football.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/10/03/exclusive-aston-villa-preparing-sack-steve-bruce/

I’ve plumped for Terry; however would be content with Henry, Flores, Rodgers, Arteta or most of the others. 

Why? He essentially won the Champions League with Chelsea. And the more I think about the difference between this season and last, the more I think we were good because of him and in spite of Bruce. Plus he can be an option if he was player/manager. We could also justify giving him a bigger wage. The inexperience doesn’t bother me so much, think he’s got the head for it. Bring in a good quality assistant/coach and he will be away. Yeah if Chelsea come calling he will go no question, but it will only happen if he is a success with us, and I’m alright with that!

Rodgers - arrogant yes but don’t really care about that will be here to win and can deal with expectations (see Celtic & Liverpool).

Not Mick McCarthy though - there’s only one benefit to him and that’s putting one in the hole! 

Given how quick the trigger has been pulled - I wonder if someone is ready to come in. There were noises that the DOF is nearly there as well - joint appointment anyone? 

Also I think this will show the true intentions of the new owners - if it is someone crazy good then we know they mean business.

21 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Dean Smith in, from nowhere after the Bruce news, to favourite with most bookies. Henry drifting longer. Allardyce just lazy guesswork from bookies and journos. C’mon Deano!

thats betting fluctuations, if henry goes to low odds then he's not worth the punt whereas dean smith was around 6-8/1 when the news broke which is enticing 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Everytime we sack a manager or are getting a new owner, people on VillaTalk always say "well ANYONE is better than Lerner/Lambert/McLeish etc"

And usually, the next person we get IS worse. 

I'm glad Bruce is gone. But there are a LOT of managers we could get who could be worse.

Oh right.  I've never said anything along the lines of "anyone but <x>", but I probably don't really care who we appoint (outside the usual suspects, as mentioned).  If Thierry Henry is announced, I'd be intrigued.  If Dean Smith is announced, I'd be intrigued. If Stevo985 is announced, I'd be intrigued.  The unknown is exciting, I guess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Oh right.  I've never said anything along the lines of "anyone but <x>", but I probably don't really care who we appoint (outside the usual suspects, as mentioned).  If Thierry Henry is announced, I'd be intrigued.  If Dean Smith is announced, I'd be intrigued. If Stevo985 is announced, I'd be intrigued.  The unknown is exciting, I guess.

Steveo985 out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Can’t see the new appointment taking long. Whole coaching set up sacked ergo new coaching team incoming with new manager. Usually sack manager then coaches stay on in interim and see if new guy wants any of them. Also interesting wording ‘....the recruitment process has already begun’....euphemism for ‘we already have our man lined up’. If not in stands for Sat then I expect appointment early next week. IMO. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We found it hard to belive that anyone could run the club as badly as Lerner.

Or that anyone could manage the team worse than McLeish, or Lambert, or Sherwood, or Di Matteo

We're Aston Villa. We're pretty good at one upping ourselves in being a shit show.

Touche

It’s a no to Dean Smith from me. He is the fuel injector of the Brentford engine and the sum of many parts.

The Villa engine is currently in pieces all over Kevin Webster’s garage floor. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You know what. Promotion is obviously the target but for me I am just looking forward to:

1) No more eye bleeding dull football. 

2) No more pulling everyone back for corners. 

3) Retaining possession from our own throw ins 

Just that will make me halfway happy. 

I can hear the Hovis tune playing to these sentiments!

36 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Allardyce just lazy guesswork from bookies 

For the love of McGrath, when will people realise how betting works?

Bookies do not do lazy guess work. That's why they make vast fortunes from the general public. Odds are mostly dictated by money placed on bets, not by bookies having a wild stab in the dark.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We found it hard to belive that anyone could run the club as badly as Lerner.

Or that anyone could manage the team worse than McLeish, or Lambert, or Sherwood, or Di Matteo

We're Aston Villa. We're pretty good at one upping ourselves in being a shit show.

Kind of makes you proud in a sick twisted way. After all these years of being toilet it’d feel weird if we suddenly turned into world beaters. 

Looking forward to the next disastrous turn of events! 

• Like 2