New Manager Speculation

maqroll

48 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be stepping into the worlds biggest shitstorm here, but I quite liked Sherwood. The football was shite, but he wasn't given a lot of time and he was one of the very few football managers since JG that talked up the club like it deserves. I don't think he's a good manager by any stretch, but considering his behaviour and how quickly he was pushed out I have no problem with him.

I'll also add that this is why I've found the support for Steve Bruce so ridonkulous. He has been given 4(?) transfer windows, plenty of cash, a great squad in a lower division, and still he can't get us playing good football. By every metric I can think of we should have had automatic promotion last year and the very least this year, yet by the looks of it that's not likely. Paul Lambert has a bad reputation on here as well, but he did keep us a float with much less in a far better division. Continuity is important, but at least try and assess the relative performances. What Steve Bruce has achieved here is not impressing whatsoever. When he ultimately is sacked I will have a far worse impresssion of Bruce than any manager since DOL, probably even worse than DOL as well. 

OK, which of our main rivals do you really support?  Leeds, Middlesboro, Derby???

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Man City aren’t one of the most famous teams anywhere. There are massively rich teams like them and Chelsea and then there are famous teams and that takes time, a lot of it. You can buy almost anything, but you can’t buy class. 

going OT but unfortunately i disagree, the premier league's expansion in to new markets mean that we are no longer more famous than the likes of man city and chelsea in the largest markets of the world, the yanks and the chinese wont share the same sense of history for the likes of us and disdain for the nouveau riche

our ex pat following and to be fair to them seemingly excellent international lions set up cant compensate for new "fans" with no ties to any club in particular being attracted to success 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

going OT but unfortunately i disagree, the premier league's expansion in to new markets mean that we are no longer more famous than the likes of man city and chelsea in the largest markets of the world, the yanks and the chinese wont share the same sense of history for the likes of us and disdain for the nouveau riche

our ex pat following and to be fair to them seemingly excellent international lions set up cant compensate for new "fans" with no ties to any club in particular being attracted to success 

I reluctantly and with certain caveats, largely to do with romantic nourishment, agree. Which is why we have to step up to the plate and embrace this modern world malarkey. 

• Haha 1

whoever we manage to attract I hope we're placing a lot of emphasis on having a modern set of tactics and the capability of implementing said ideas. I really believed that grinding out results would work for us last year as we had a strong enough squad to make that happen. we barely looked organized in the majority of our games and relied heavily on individual skill but it worked probably a few more times than it should have. we can't keep throwing players at the problem of us lacking a true shape and footballing philosophy. by Odin, Allah, Jehova and Zeus, get it right this time please.

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be stepping into the worlds biggest shitstorm here, but I quite liked Sherwood. The football was shite, but he wasn't given a lot of time. 

He wasnt given a lot of time because he was sh*t. Hes only like by some fans because we somehow got to an fa cup final, which turned out to be a massive embarrassment anyway. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Have to agree with this...  Apart from the one time I went to a football pub in NYC on holiday, I've yet to meet another American Villa supporter in 12 years.  Met loads of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Madrid, and Barca supporters, though. Fulham actually has a pretty big following in the USA, because a lot of our international players have played for the club over the years (McBride, Bocanegra, Dempsey, Ream, etc.).  Recently, I've started seeing more and more Man City fans coming out of the woodwork.  It's funny because 10-15 years ago, Plastic Man Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool fans in the USA would try to shame American Chelsea supporters as being "Glory Hunters" who support a "club with no history" who "bought their success", but after several years that sigma wore off and they started doing the same thing with Man City supporters.  Overall, unless you're actively winning trophies or have a lot of American players in your starting lineup, you won't attract legions of American fans.

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be stepping into the worlds biggest shitstorm here, but I quite liked Sherwood. The football was shite, but he wasn't given a lot of time and he was one of the very few football managers since JG that talked up the club like it deserves. I don't think he's a good manager by any stretch, but considering his behaviour and how quickly he was pushed out I have no problem with him.

I'll also add that this is why I've found the support for Steve Bruce so ridonkulous. He has been given 4(?) transfer windows, plenty of cash, a great squad in a lower division, and still he can't get us playing good football. By every metric I can think of we should have had automatic promotion last year and the very least this year, yet by the looks of it that's not likely. Paul Lambert has a bad reputation on here as well, but he did keep us a float with much less in a far better division. Continuity is important, but at least try and assess the relative performances. What Steve Bruce has achieved here is not impressing whatsoever. When he ultimately is sacked I will have a far worse impresssion of Bruce than any manager since DOL, probably even worse than DOL as well. 

Sherwood , where is he now ?  No where as he is useless and no one will employ him 

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Overall, unless you're actively winning trophies or have a lot of American players in your starting lineup, you won't attract legions of American fans.

Who needs legions of nobody American supporters when you have Tom Hanks?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Overall, unless you're actively winning trophies or have a lot of American players in your starting lineup, you won't attract legions of American fans.

We don't have any Canadians either, however Bret 'The Hitman' Hart is a big fan of us too apparantly.

• Thanks 1

Honestly think we someone who knows the club for me I think we need to take a risk and appoint mellberg he is villa through and through and will not stand for the performances on the pitch that we have seen also he has managerial experience from his time in Sweden 

Got to be worth a shot in my veiw

Bruce has been diabolical and what's worse it has led to fans fighting in the stands for f**k sake were not west ham were better than that

We need to put the heart back in this club

24 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

Honestly think we someone who knows the club for me I think we need to take a risk and appoint mellberg he is villa through and through and will not stand for the performances on the pitch that we have seen also he has managerial experience from his time in Sweden 

Got to be worth a shot in my veiw

Bruce has been diabolical and what's worse it has led to fans fighting in the stands for f**k sake were not west ham were better than that

We need to put the heart back in this club

My heart agrees with you. I’d love to have a manager that bleeds claret and blue. My fear is he’s not able to do the job and we watch one of our heros crash and burn. But if he could........woooow! I’ve read somewhere on here that he has been making great progress. But this is a big step up. He’d certainly be given a long honeymoon period. 

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

My heart agrees with you. I’d love to have a manager that bleeds claret and blue. My fear is he’s not able to do the job and we watch one of our heros crash and burn. But if he could........woooow! I’ve read somewhere on here that he has been making great progress. But this is a big step up. He’d certainly be given a long honeymoon period. 

Well we see other teams giving managers a chance look at poch at Southampton jankovic at Watford

why not us were not a prem club anymore and I think he would thrive in this environment he has the personality also he not just going to be here for a paycheck as he loves the club 

McGrath the more I think about it the more I want it to happen

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The first part of your post undermines the good second part a smidge.

You're right that Tim did have some good matches but to say you like him is criminal ? A horrid human. 

Agree with your second bit fully yes. Bruce has made a atrocious effort with more resources than any recent managers and he's in a worse division. Sherwood isn't even a proper manager and I can't see how he'd have done much worse than Bruce.

Fulham's Wembley win was more embarrassing than that Arsenal game. We made a team in our own division look like Arsenal against us.

On 03/09/2018 at 21:54, Zatman said:

Cook has done well at nearly every club he managed. Got Portsmouth promoted as well in recent seasons

He has, yes. Portsmouth was an “easy” job at League Two level though.