New Manager Speculation

maqroll

I like Chris Hughton, don't know if he's the right man for us especially with him carrying that Blues curse. I remember reading a Shoot magazine, many years ago, he was listing all his favorite things, when asked who his favourite other team was, yep, you've guessed it, Aston Villa. It's strange how I've never forgot that.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Chris wilder

I hold Chris Wilder in high regard too, but he wont come here.

When the speculation was open for a new manager two seasons ago, I thought he was a great up and coming manager. Managed small clubs who were in dire straits, and turning them around. Also, he has never been sacked. At the time, he was more one for the future to keep an eye on, rather than being kidnapped from his tugboat club and dropped in front of the helm of HMS Villa.

However though, he has nested. He is a Sheffield United fan, and he is in his dream job. Throwing money at him wont work. " OK, Villa want to give me this ridiculous amount, get to yell at actual prima donna players, and their stadium is very pretty. Screw you, SHU, I am a Villa fan now!". It wont happen. He is where he wants to be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave J said:

Surely you share the same hope for us ?

Of course, but I think at this current time Houghton would not leave Brighton, he has it set up very nicely for himself there and only signed a new long term contract in the summer. 

I only bring it up as Brighton get downplayed a lot. 

8 hours ago, Dave J said:

Whilst I would agree about Rafa - Howe and Hougjton could be forgiven for thinking that we have more potential for being in the top flight over the next 5 years than their current clubs might be - particularly if they believe enough in their own abilities 

If they believe in their own abilities then they will want to prove they can mix it with the best rather than drop down a division by choice. You really need to take those claret & blue tinted specs off. Do you think they would join Leeds or Nottingham Forest as well?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

In the Championship? ;)

Lol, maybe who ever knows in football, I certainly never thought I would see Aston Villa in the championship or Blackburn, and I certainly never thought Man City would go on to become one of the most famous teams in current World football. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I like Chris Hughton, don't know if he's the right man for us especially with him carrying that Blues curse. I remember reading a Shoot magazine, many years ago, he was listing all his favorite things, when asked who is favourite other team was, yep, you've guessed it, Aston Villa. It's strange how I've never forgot that.

Probably been said, but we need to stop suggesting Premier League managers at well-run clubs. Dreamland.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol, maybe who ever knows in football, I certainly never thought I would see Aston Villa in the championship or Blackburn, and I certainly never thought Man City would go on to become one of the most famous teams in current World football. 

Man City aren’t one of the most famous teams anywhere. There are massively rich teams like them and Chelsea and then there are famous teams and that takes time, a lot of it. You can buy almost anything, but you can’t buy class. 

48 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Man City aren’t one of the most famous teams anywhere. There are massively rich teams like them and Chelsea and then there are famous teams and that takes time, a lot of it. You can buy almost anything, but you can’t buy class. 

I live in Spain and little eight year-old Spanish kids know Man City. If you talk about Aston Villa they get confused and think it's someone's name—same for most of the adults too. For the coming generation to be famous all you need is multiple stars on Fifa, in other words loads of money. I don't think the majority of football supporters in the world really care about history or class any more. Money has trumped football. When you ask people their favourite teams and the answer is only ever the likes of PSG/Chelsea/Man City/Real Madrid it's depressing.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

I live in Spain and little eight year-old Spanish kids know Man City. If you talk about Aston Villa they get confused and think it's someone's name—same for most of the adults too. For the coming generation to be famous all you need is multiple stars on Fifa, in other words loads of money. I don't think the majority of football supporters in the world really care about history or class any more. Money has trumped football. When you ask people their favourite teams and the answer is only ever the likes of PSG/Chelsea/Man City/Real Madrid it's depressing.

I don’t disagree with that, or the post from Tommo above. It is a little sad, money has taken so much away from many aspects of life, not least football. I have a friend who lives in Inverness and a couple of years ago he took his son, aged 9 at the time, to the Champions League Final at the San Siro. Whilst there they went to the various fan zones, and there was a walk of fame with all the past winners on it. His son was amazed that we had won it, even to the point of questioning if it was a mistake!! 

So despite my romantic and nostalgic views, you’re both right we are behind the money clubs. I will say though, they can’t take the history and memories away. We just need to get with the times and start to make new history and new happy memories.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. We just need to realise we have to live in the modern world, with all it’s faults and win the new way. Hopefully Nas and Wes can bring us this new world success. 

• Like 4

I'm not utterly against the idea of Arteta. He is definately an advocate for the football we should be moving towards. Probably very hungry to prove himself and during the Arsenal rumours the players didn't seem to have an issue with it, which speaks volumes. 

He's also gone the grades some what with his coaching badges etc. and generally comes across as a very professional person. 

I'm not saying he's the best we can get, but he certainly would be a very interesting pick. And I'm 100% sure he would have us playing better football than Steve Bruce. Not a doubt in my mind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Very true,  Dave. Our history speaks for itself. Without Aston Villa, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Just been reading some of the Villa Facebook groups, and had to rush back here for some sanity. Quite apart from the Bruce loyalists, there are people on there talking about how great Tim Sherwood was. 

2 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

People should stop including Benitez - we are the last club he would come to, right now

Very true - cause he is employed at Newcastle, and we have no managerial vacancy for him (or any manager) to fill at this moment in time.

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just been reading some of the Villa Facebook groups, and had to rush back here for some sanity. Quite apart from the Bruce loyalists, there are people on there talking about how great Tim Sherwood was. 

Facebook is an absolute cesspool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Very true - cause he is employed at Newcastle, and we have no managerial vacancy for him (or any manager) to fill at this moment in time.

Errr, even if there were a vacancy, I think it is more the case of he and Purslow are never going to be BFFs that would prevent him coming here.