New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He has, yes. Portsmouth was an “easy” job at League Two level though. 

not really. before he took over they finished 13th and 16th in League 2 and club was still a shambles. He instilled a winning mentality back into the club and a feelgood factor. He also had to overhaul the squad by signing over 20 players in his first summer and still made the playoffs

On 04/09/2018 at 10:55, KenjiOgiwara said:

Might be stepping into the worlds biggest shitstorm here, but I quite liked Sherwood. The football was shite, but he wasn't given a lot of time and he was one of the very few football managers since JG that talked up the club like it deserves. I don't think he's a good manager by any stretch, but considering his behaviour and how quickly he was pushed out I have no problem with him.

I'll also add that this is why I've found the support for Steve Bruce so ridonkulous. He has been given 4(?) transfer windows, plenty of cash, a great squad in a lower division, and still he can't get us playing good football. By every metric I can think of we should have had automatic promotion last year and the very least this year, yet by the looks of it that's not likely. Paul Lambert has a bad reputation on here as well, but he did keep us a float with much less in a far better division. Continuity is important, but at least try and assess the relative performances. What Steve Bruce has achieved here is not impressing whatsoever. When he ultimately is sacked I will have a far worse impresssion of Bruce than any manager since DOL, probably even worse than DOL as well. 

I think Sherwood had us playing some lovely front - foot, football in the season he took us to the final. It all went pear - shaped from there, but there are definitely extenuating circumstances, to why it went that way. He certainly never got the backing the way the current manager has.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Sherwood had us playing some lovely front - foot, football in the season he took us to the final. It all went pear - shaped from there, but there are definitely extenuating circumstances, to why it went that way. He certainly never got the backing the way the current manager has.

Yup. I won't claim he is a good manager, but I think it's kinda unreasonable to judge managers whom don't get a fair shot at getting it right. Sherwood did have some backing (Richards, Veretout, Gana, Amavi etc.), but whether it was players he wanted I'm not so sure. Remember he went on about wanting Aaron Lennon. Ultimately I think he should have gotten more time to be judged to the degree he is. Garde is the same story for me. 

I won't slate Bruce too hard yet, as I thought we played some very decent football this season, well prior to the Sheffield match. But ultimately he has had solid backing and needs to get us promoted and I'm not convinced he will. He's just too negative for my liking. And his squad selections are just baffling at times. 

• Like 1

completely guessing here but i would say that sherwoods personality was more likely to have furthered the laissez faire attitude that crippled the club, the "rot" which killed us, garde didnt stand a chance, it was too late, none of the players cared

the thing with bruce now is we're being told that the players love him and all want to play for him so the lacklustre performances arent due to players coasting because they dont want to be here

7 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Dear God. I know we are in desperate times but Sherwood revisionism? He was a useless charlatan who will never manage again. And I use 'manage' in the loosest possible way. 

Yep. He was total garbage. Anyone got that gif of him waving his hands around in midair?

Sherwood was useless, I'll give you that, but I'd still rather have him as manager than Bruce (currently). It's actually that bad. 

I just want the club to get shot asap and get in a young, foreign if needs be, manager with fresh, dynamic ideas to get the best out of our extremely talented (youngish) squad.

I'd happily write off this season for whoever it was to implement his ideas because if Bruce somehow scrapes us into the Premier league, his claws will be well and truly dug in and his style of football, and I use the word style loosely FYI, will get battered every week up there.

Is that too much to ask? Probably.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

completely guessing here but i would say that sherwoods personality was more likely to have furthered the laissez faire attitude that crippled the club, the "rot" which killed us, garde didnt stand a chance, it was too late, none of the players cared

the thing with bruce now is we're being told that the players love him and all want to play for him so the lacklustre performances arent due to players coasting because they dont want to be here

Yes, but is there any actual proof of this claim. Their performances on the pitch would make me think the opposite is the case.

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

Yes, but is there any actual proof of this claim. Their performances on the pitch would make me think the opposite is the case.

Yep, they are starting to look like they do not know a way forward out there.

It is depressing watching us and has been at times over the last two seasons.

We need an influx of energy from someone new with fresh ideas.

• Like 2

Have I entered the twilight zone or summat, the JT thread is full off musings about having him as interim manager. Now I'm reading Sherwood was ok and wasn't given a chance.

Christ on a bike

You don't want Henry cos he's not experienced enough, yet he probably has more coaching experience than the two of them put together.

Rodgers or Rafa, not interested in anyone else. And preferably before Blackburn. Now I'm definitely in the twighlight zone

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yup. I won't claim he is a good manager, but I think it's kinda unreasonable to judge managers whom don't get a fair shot at getting it right. Sherwood did have some backing (Richards, Veretout, Gana, Amavi etc.), but whether it was players he wanted I'm not so sure. Remember he went on about wanting Aaron Lennon. Ultimately I think he should have gotten more time to be judged to the degree he is. Garde is the same story for me. 

I won't slate Bruce too hard yet, as I thought we played some very decent football this season, well prior to the Sheffield match. But ultimately he has had solid backing and needs to get us promoted and I'm not convinced he will. He's just too negative for my liking. And his squad selections are just baffling at times. 

For me Sherwood will come back and  prove himself to be a good manager - I don't think the success he had initially at Tottenham did him any long term favours and dare I say went to his head.

i for one hope he has gone away and looked at himself and comes back a better manager for it.

i like his passion and energy and the fact he likes to play on the front foot.

These are good qualities and if harnessed in the right way along with the right level of experience could yet see him have a bright future in the game. Imo 

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

For me Sherwood will come back and  prove himself to be a good manager - I don't think the success he had initially at Tottenham did him any long term favours and dare I say went to his head.

i for one hope he has gone away and looked at himself and comes back a better manager for it.

i like his passion and energy and the fact he likes to play on the front foot.

These are good qualities and if harnessed in the right way along with the right level of experience could yet see him have a bright future in the game. Imo 

I think you forgot the winky smiley.