New Manager Speculation

maqroll

47 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes, let's be realistic. We need to aim for your Allerdyces, McCarthys, your Dean Smiths etc.

Forget aiming high and trying for the Ranieri's, Benithez's etc. We don't want success or promotion.

You have unrealistic expectations if you think rafa would drop a league

Edited by Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have unrealistic expectations if you think rafa would drop a league

In fairness, FSW did drop a league, with the Geordie shit houses. Moot point anyway as I'm not a fan and don't think he'll bring anything new to our club.

I'd deffo take Ranieri however.

30 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

In fairness, FSW did drop a league, with the Geordie shit houses. Moot point anyway as I'm not a fan and don't think he'll bring anything new to our club.

I'd deffo take Ranieri however.

He was already manager when they went down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Has Allardyce ever failed at any job? To my recollection he's always at least delivered on expectations. That's really all we need here tbh

I think you'll find Newcastle don't have particular, fond, Memories of him. 

Has he ever won anything as a manager ? It's not a fireman we need, just someone capable of getting a tune out of this, relatively, decent, squad.

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was already manager when they went down 

That's beside the point, was he willing to drop to a lower division? Was the question, regardless of where he was at the time, the answer is yes, he was (is? Maybe not now). 

14 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

You’re dreaming mate, WAKE UP!

It really doesn't sound that far - fetched. What's the limit with dear old, Bournemouth ? He's achieved mid - table mediocrity, I can't see him exceeding that success. He might well see us as a poison chalice, or he might see the potential, ( rich, new, owners ) and challenge, in being able to take this club back to challenging for the top six of the Premier.

The only concern for me would be maybe the job is too big for him, maybe Bournemouth is his comfort zone.

19 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you'll find Newcastle don't have particular, fond, Memories of him. 

Has he ever won anything as a manager ? It's not a fireman we need, just someone capable of getting a tune out of this, relatively, decent, squad.

That's literally his whole MO as a manager

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He finished 8th with Everton who were in relegation trouble when he took over???

He spent only half a season at Newcastle too and had them in the European places on October 22, but went on a poor run and was sacked on January 9 with them in 11th position.

'It is damaging to a career you have spent years and years and years putting together and accumulating and proving that you are a quality manager and even though the reasons are not that valid it is still pretty damaging.'
Edited by Michael118

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yes, let's be realistic. We need to aim for your Allerdyces, McCarthys, your Dean Smiths etc.

Forget aiming high and trying for the Ranieri's, Benithez's etc. We don't want success or promotion.

Sorry to break to you but Rafa is NEVER coming here with Purslow at club 

Edited by Zatman

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It really doesn't sound that far - fetched. What's the limit with dear old, Bournemouth ? He's achieved mid - table mediocrity, I can't see him exceeding that success. He might well see us as a poison chalice, or he might see the potential, ( rich, new, owners ) and challenge, in being able to take this club back to challenging for the top six of the Premier.

The only concern for me would be maybe the job is too big for him, maybe Bournemouth is his comfort zone.

Bournemouth definitely have a ceiling and he may have already hit it. My only concern, seems a home bird.  Spent nearly all his playing career at Bournemouth.  Couldn't settle when he went Burnley to manage them either.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

I think I read it somewhere in here but haven't the time to find it, but what about Mikel Arteta?

Has been working under Pep since he arrived in England, speaks multiple languages and knows what the British game is about. If he could bring Pep's style of football and surround himself with likeminded coaches and staff I think he could do a fantastic job. The question would be 'does he feel like taking on a top job or would he prefer to stay and continue to learn from Pep? 

• Like 2

Mike Ashley apologises to Newcastle fans for renaming St James‘ Park and sacking Sam Allardyce too soon

Sports Direct tycoon has opened up on his ten-year reign on Tyneside and admitted he has made some errors that have wrecked relationship with fans

Aug 13, 2017.

MIKE ASHLEY has apologised for renaming Newcastle’s St James’ Park home and sacking Sam Allardyce too soon.

The Toon owner has dropped his media-shy guard to give an interview to Sky Sports with a section being shown before their game against Tottenham. 

The clip showed the Sports Direct tycoon making the obvious admission his club cannot compete financially with the Premier League’s powerhouses.

But, more interestingly, Ashley also admitted to a number of errors during his ten years on Tyneside, starting with the rapid sacking of Sam Allardyce after just six months.

Ashley said: “I probably rushed in too early. The first thing, letting Sam Allardyce go, I was probably too keen to get going and make a difference, and I was a bit naïve about how football worked.

“The first thing you feel is stupidity, because as soon as you know the hindsight of something, you know what you were doing wrong.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/4233955/mike-ashley-newcastle-fans-sorry-stadium/

Allardyce says he almost quit management after Toon sacking 

'It is the hardest (sacking) to take because I thought it was the right job - I thought it was the next step, a big club, big fanbase, big budget but unfortunately I never saw any of that.

Allardyce reckons it was the takeover of the club by Ashley that led to his departure from St James' Park and was nothing to do with results on the pitch. He has been back to the north east since he left the club in January 2008, masterminding a 2-1 win for Blackburn. But the manner of his dismissal from Newcastle still plays on his mind. He said: 'I think a short tenure at any football club, and not results-based when you lose your job, is something you are very upset about at the time, you are always upset when you lose a job. 'The reason that was cited to me was that they wanted to move in their own direction because I wasn't the man who was selected by them, I was already there so at the end of the day you have to accept that and move on. 'That settlement, I have to say, was extremely well conducted by both parties - within five or six days it was all finished and I couldn't ask for any more than that. 'It is a very distressing time for you and your family because no matter how many people start saying "he will be all right, he has got that much money" that is not the issue. 'The issue is your professionalism has been questioned, your ability to do a particular job has been questioned. 'It is damaging to a career you have spent years and years and years putting together and accumulating and proving that you are a quality manager and even though the reasons are not that valid it is still pretty damaging.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2230815/Sam-Allardyce-says-quit-management-sacked-Newcastle.html

'It is damaging to a career you have spent years and years and years putting together and accumulating and proving that you are a quality manager and even though the reasons are not that valid it is still pretty damaging.'
Edited by Michael118

36 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

That's beside the point, was he willing to drop to a lower division? Was the question, regardless of where he was at the time, the answer is yes, he was (is? Maybe not now). 

It's not beside the point. It's entirely the point.

10 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think I read it somewhere in here but haven't the time to find it, but what about Mikel Arteta?

Has been working under Pep since he arrived in England, speaks multiple languages and knows what the British game is about. If he could bring Pep's style of football and surround himself with likeminded coaches and staff I think he could do a fantastic job. The question would be 'does he feel like taking on a top job or would he prefer to stay and continue to learn from Pep? 

My thought too.  Apparently Arsenal were very impressed by him.  Always some risk in a first appointment but would be one worth taking if he could be persuaded to come.

43 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

It's not beside the point at all, going down with a club and naturally feeling some level of responsibility and then wanting to put it right is nothing like asking him to give up a PL job to drop down to the championship to manage a club he has no affiliation with.

It's two completely different scenarios.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's not beside the point at all, going down with a club and naturally feeling some level of responsibility and then wanting to put it right is nothing like asking him to give up a PL job to drop down to the championship to manage a club he has no affiliation with.

It's two completely different scenarios.

Agree to disagree, he won't be coming here anyway so not arguing the toss over it.

13 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Agree to disagree, he won't be coming here anyway so not arguing the toss over it.

Agree to disagree?

So just for the record, you think that being relegated with a team and continuing with them is exactly the same dynamic as leaving a club in the top division to manage a club a division below?

You're right, it's not happening and it's a fairly pointless debate but I'd still like to know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

He was already in post taht makes a massive difference as you are not entitled to compensation if you quit