Transfer Window Summer 2018

VILLAMARV

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I follow the Peterborough owner on Twitter and he was asked the question directly re free transfers, and he says they can still be signed, so their is still hope for a centre back coming in on a free. 

Free agents can be signed but not free transfers. 

I think there is a subtle difference between how the terms are used. I assume its down to the registration of the player and who holds it. 

• Like 1

I still feel we need an organiser at CB. If we could bring in Huth or Terry I honestly think we’d have one of the strongest teams in the league. Disclaimer on paper.

Add Collins to that list

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

We're still short at CB as has already been alluded to, and I think we desperately needed another left back in also, but I think when viewed in context this is a better transfer window than we could have realistically hoped for at the start of it. With the obviously massive caveat that we're a Chester injury/suspension away from trouble, we have a team that is capable of actually challenging to go up again and considering how badly things were starting to go a couple of months ago I'm content enough with that for now.

For all the talk that we should be in for him I'd be surprised if Terry not having signed on again was our decision, I get the impression that he's retired at this point. Would take him back in an instant though, I'd even settle for a Huth or Collins as even though neither fills me with confidence they're presumably still better options than equally immobile defensive midfielders shoved in at centre back, and I can't imagine your average Championship game is too far beyond them these days.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just noticed that Steven Caulker ended his contract with Dundee yesterday so is now a free agent. 

Was highly rated 5+ years back and is still only 26 years old. 

Possible.

Yeah, he was really highly rated and was swallowed up by the QPR money. I’ve not seen anything of him in a long time. Got to ask why Dundee were happy to mutually terminated his contract though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah, he was really highly rated and was swallowed up by the QPR money. I’ve not seen anything of him in a long time. Got to ask why Dundee were happy to mutually terminated his contract though.

I think he bought it out or something. Very peculiar thing to do right at the end of the window. Must have somewhere to go to...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can someone give me an update on our window? Did we sign a CB? What happened the last week or so? After Bolasie signed I'm blank.

No defenders signed. Latest signings were El Ghazi, Bolasie & Abraham. We’ve definitely strengthened in attacking areas. McGinn helps us in that regard too.

Defence is worrying, we failed to sign a LB or CB.

I think we NEED to sign Terry or Huth now (not aware of any better option available on a free, someone brought up a Reyes??) or we leave ourselves very vulnerable...

Not sure on Caulker, must be a reason why he “failed” at QPR & Dundee. I would guess something do with attitude or (lack of) professionalism? Used to be highly rated...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Good transfer window. 

Yes, strange decisions and indecisiveness around CB and full back, but we needed speed and goals, and we now have that. Perhaps it would be greedy to have everything.

We probably have the best offensive team in the division, good strength in depth, if we win today we are two point off the top, remain unbeaten in the league with over 40 games to go. Best state we have been in for years?

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Good transfer window. 

Yes, strange decisions and indecisiveness around CB and full back, but we needed speed and goals, and we now have that. Perhaps it would be greedy to have everything.

We probably have the best offensive team in the division, good strength in depth, if we win today we are two point off the top, remain unbeaten in the league with over 40 games to go. Best state we have been in for years?

I am guilty of it too but we often claim to have the best in the division, and we possibly do.

Let's not forget Leeds, Stoke and West Brom when considering the best attack in the league.

I agree that it has been a good window. I think last seasons highlights shouldn't be forgotten when considering the best state we've been in.

There's a long way to go yet this season.

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Strange. Twitter saying Celtic 

Twitter spouts a lot of rubbish though...

Are Celtic in the need of a CB? Genuinely don’t know. If they do, that might make sense but would be surprising if Dundee allowed them to directly strengthen.

8 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Twitter spouts a lot of rubbish though...

Are Celtic in the need of a CB? Genuinely don’t know. If they do, that might make sense but would be surprising if Dundee allowed them to directly strengthen.

Rodgers has been moaning that the club wont sign him one and they wanted French lad we did. Plus Boyata is throwing tantrums and threatening to go on strike. We thought we had issues :P

We need to get Terry or Huth in today/tomorrow and spend the next two weeks working on their match fitness.

If we can get both in then (or another free CB ala Samba) it does us no harm, this position is majorly hindering us this season and we need it fixed as soon as possible.

• Like 3

Would love to see Terry back, seems like he has hinted as he would by saying yes to some fan, ball is in villas court.

Come on Bruce, get Terry back in, he will sort out the team.

Â