Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

10 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Snodgrass is a right winger, Adomah is a right winger, Elmohamady is a right winger, Green is right footed. Who is our left winger?

Since Bruce took over nearly every attack has gone down the right wing. We've become so predictable that other teams know how to play us. We need a bit of balance to our team, a bit of width and left side quality. 

Funny enough snodgrass is left footed....but obviously he wants to play on the right because he's at villa!

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Funny enough snodgrass is left footed....but obviously he wants to play on the right because he's at villa!

He's made it absolutely clear that he fell out with Bilic because he's a right winger and Bilic played him on the left. He hasn't come to Villa to play as a left winger even though he's left footed, if his comments have been reported correctly.

9 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

He's made it absolutely clear that he fell out with Bilic because he's a right winger and Bilic played him on the left. He hasn't come to Villa to play as a left winger even though he's left footed, if his comments have been reported correctly.

I know. Just weird that a one footed lefty has such a hard time adapting to the left wing.

22 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I know. Just weird that a one footed lefty has such a hard time adapting to the left wing.

I think it's preference really.  Like Andre Green on the left enjoys coming inside on to his right foot, presumably Snodgrass is the same.  He doesn't strike me as the type of player that has pace and likes to run past defenders, so it makes sense.

20 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I think if you watch him it's a little clearer. He's obviously not got great pace and relies on quick feet to beat a man. On the right when facing up one on one he has the threat of belting one in with his left after cutting or if the defender tries to block that jinking past him and getting to the byline. 

On the right he is clearly not as confident either shooting or crossing with his right and doesn't have the pace to beat the defender and make the most of his left. So the defender just shows him inside and forces him to use his right peg. 

So he obviously can play on left he's done it throughout his career but it nullifies some of his main weapons. 

FWIW I think he'll mainly play through middle for us. 

Wherever he plays with him, Green, Adomah, Elmohamady and maybe OHare we have a wealth of chance creating players.

All the interviews about lack of money etc are starting to make him look a bit special. In every area of the team we have decent options and depth. There are no excuses this team should be competing for automatic promotion and minimum playoffs. Every week we are not the pressure will be on and rightly so. 

It's not just a question of where Snodgrass will play. We do not have a properly functioning midfield at the moment and that's because it's been considered an irrelevance by Bruce and his coaches. Our midfield has been bypassed either by a hopeful ball over the top in the general direction of our striker, or a marauding run from Hutton with no end product 99% of the time.

We have a manager and assistant who were both defenders and a coach who was a defensive midfielder, so who is going to suddenly start coaching ball to feet, high pressing and always looking for space to make yourself available for that return pass? Who's going to coach the plays that allow Hogan or Hourihane to spin off Davis's hold up play? We can't even sort out pro active movement at throw ins in the opposition half and fail miserably at ball retention from those throws, so to think we can suddenly coach the coordination of a whole attacking midfield unit is a bit fanciful. To do that Bruce, Calderwood and Clemence have to forget about protecting the back four with holding midfielders, and start concentrating on attacking midfield link up play that integrates our midfield with our strikers. We have to go from nine outfielders behind the ball and one totally isolated striker, to a back four and a high pressing midfield linked closely to our strikers. It's not going to happen is it?

Can Bruce and co change the habits of a life time? Are they prepared to play without fear of losing and go for it? Are they even going to try? I suspect not.

I suspect that our midfielders will just have to get on with it on match day, and try and sort it out on the pitch for themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's not just a question of where Snodgrass will play. We do not have a properly functioning midfield at the moment and that's because it's been considered an irrelevance by Bruce and his coaches. Our midfield has been bypassed either by a hopeful ball over the top in the general direction of our striker, or a marauding run from Hutton with no end product 99% of the time.

We have a manager and assistant who were both defenders and a coach who was a defensive midfielder, so who is going to suddenly start coaching ball to feet, high pressing and always looking for space to make yourself available for that return pass? Who's going to coach the plays that allow Hogan or Hourihane to spin off Davis's hold up play? We can't even sort out pro active movement at throw ins in the opposition half and fail miserably at ball retention from those throws, so to think we can suddenly coach the coordination of a whole attacking midfield unit is a bit fanciful. To do that Bruce, Calderwood and Clemence have to forget about protecting the back four with holding midfielders, and start concentrating on attacking midfield link up play that integrates our midfield with our strikers. We have to go from nine outfielders behind the ball and one totally isolated striker, to a back four and a high pressing midfield linked closely to our strikers. It's not going to happen is it?

Can Bruce and co change the habits of a life time? Are they prepared to play without fear of losing and go for it? Are they even going to try? I suspect not.

I suspect that our midfielders will just have to get on with it on match day, and try and sort it out on the pitch for themselves. 

Pretty much spot on. We need to bring in an attacking coach to focus on the other end of the pitch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So we are picking up £42k of his wages plus whatever we have paid West Ham...

And Bruce moans about not being able to spend millions. How many other managers are being in multiple players on these sorts of wages in this league? 

A Championship club paying Premier League wages, what could do wrong?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So we are picking up £42k of his wages plus whatever we have paid West Ham...

And Bruce moans about not being able to spend millions. How many other managers are being in multiple players on these sorts of wages in this league? 

Cracking point and to repeat what I've said before the current Villa squad is the most talented seen in the Championship for many a year and should be walking this league. It's simply being held back by an ultra defensive manager who's day has come and gone.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

What's with our RHS:

Hutton, DeLat, Bree, Elmo, Adomah, Snodgrass?

Whereas our LHS:

Taylor, Green

Am I missing something or someone?

You are panicking needlessly - have you forgotten it's all geared up to play through Jack Grealish when he gets over his injury ....:wacko:

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Pretty much spot on. We need to bring in an attacking coach to focus on the other end of the pitch. 

We have scored 9 goals in the last 3 games

Â