Robert Snodgrass

alreadyexists

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

We have scored 9 goals in the last 3 games

All very well, a very small sample. However, if you look at the bigger picture in Bruce's reign, then goals have notoriously been few and far between. 

I'll happily eat humble pie if we continue to be free scoring, but the set up against Bristol makes me think otherwise. 

If Snodgrass can help towards being a more attacking fluent team then great, I look forward to it. 

By the way, I think Snodgrass is a very good signing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

All very well, a very small sample. However, if you look at the bigger picture in Bruce's reign, then goals have notoriously been few and far between. 

I'll happily eat humble pie if we continue to be free scoring, but the set up against Bristol makes me think otherwise. 

If Snodgrass can help towards being a more attacking fluent team then great, I look forward to it. 

By the way, I think Snodgrass is a very good signing. 

Its not as if i have picked a small sample from random...its the last 3 games we have played!

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Its not as if i have picked a small sample from random...its the last 3 games we have played!

Could also say 7 goals in our 5 league games , 4 of which came in one game .

The Wigan game although enjoyable was a game between 2 sides who made 11 changes each from their previous game .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Could also say 7 goals in our 5 league games , 4 of which came in one game .

The Wigan game although enjoyable was a game between 2 sides who made 11 changes each from their previous game .

Even if you ignore the wigan game (which I dont know why we would as we are talking about goals in the squad) 7 goals in 5 games is not the worst record in the world when 3 of them were away from home.

The 3 latest games would appear to mark a change in our scoring rate however which cant be overlooked.

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Even if you ignore the wigan game (which I dont know why we would as we are talking about goals in the squad) 7 goals in 5 games is not the worst record in the world when 3 of them were away from home.

The 3 latest games would appear to mark a change in our scoring rate however which cant be overlooked.

I hope we smash Brentford and you're proved right. 

There seems to be a massive difference on emphasis at home and away from home. At home Bruce seems to be happier to attack, whereas away from home he is focused on not losing. I believe we have a strong enough side to be able to go most places in this league and set up to win. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'd totally agree with you if Bruce hadn't put the shackles on at Bristol - we had  confidence and momentum and should have gone out on the front foot and attacked with the same formation .

However his inexplicable decision to change things and go so negative leads me to feel he learnt nothing from all that . 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I hope we smash Brentford and you're proved right. 

There seems to be a massive difference on emphasis at home and away from home. At home Bruce seems to be happier to attack, whereas away from home he is focused on not losing. I believe we have a strong enough side to be able to go most places in this league and set up to win. 

Bang on - he says we have to address the awful away form yet it is him who invites pressure on us with his negative approach .

Back on topic I'd hope snodgrass at least gives Bruce confidence to trust players more on the front foot .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 20:55, AshVilla said:

No he picks the players and the formation based on random numbers he pulls out of a hat.

I bet Bruce does 21 every week in the Lotto as well :) 

Edited by Zatman

On 24/08/2017 at 15:38, PieFacE said:

Because the way we let Reading have the ball and applied no pressure at all can only come down to tactics. You can't shout at players to press and accept it when they don't. I think it's far more likely they are doing what they are being instructed to do. They're professional footballers not children.  If after 30 odd games Bruce can't get his team playing to the same levels as other teams who have managers in for shorter periods of time then surely you have to start questioning the manager?

Yes. Snodgrass being on the pitch may have done something differently, but it would have been some solo effort from miles away or a free kick or something like that. The overall performance of the team would have still been poor IMO. 

If you genuinely believe we haven't got one of strongest teams in this league and we need more "quality" additions to go up then fair enough. But I couldn't disagree more. I certainly don't take defeat to Reading and Cardiff as a sign we need better players, I take it as a sign we need better management of our players. 

100% this^

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm more convinced than ever that this is desperately wasted money which we will have major cause to regret down the line. I can't think of a single side in this league that wouldn't want Adomah, yet here we are relegating him to third choice so we can pay this guy a king's ransom to rediscover some form. 

True, but Adomah likes to have a week off every now and again. So Elmo will cover him. I think Snodgrass has been brought in to play where Bruce wanted Grealish to play. Which then means Hourahaine misses out, or Odomah. Wow it is a confusing signing really.

I don't know what my point was anymore.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm more convinced than ever that this is desperately wasted money which we will have major cause to regret down the line. I can't think of a single side in this league that wouldn't want Adomah, yet here we are relegating him to third choice so we can pay this guy a king's ransom to rediscover some form. 

Snodgrass is a far better player than adomah in my opinion .

• Like 3

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It seems clear to me that if you looked at our squad needs, a right sided attacker would be far down the list.

But if you're looking for a good bargain.... i.e. talent per cost ratio.  this is probably a good deal.   It reminds me of the time i bought two cases of bleach I didn't need because it was such a good price.

• Like 1

Well, it'll be (once again) fascinating to see where Bruce plays him and what the formation is.  I am extremely unconvinced that he is what we need and potentially will cause more problems than he improves things.  Signing 2 players to replace your top assister from the previous season, whilst ignoring the left hand side is negligence.   Similarly if he's to play through the middle, that inhibits Hourihane who just seemed to be finding his feet and pushes back O'Hare's progress.  And there's still Grealish to come back who was supposed to be the fulcrum there.

Seems to be to be a total lack of cohesive thinking about this window.

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Well, it'll be (once again) fascinating to see where Bruce plays him and what the formation is.  I am extremely unconvinced that he is what we need and potentially will cause more problems than he improves things.  Signing 2 players to replace your top assister from the previous season, whilst ignoring the left hand side is negligence.   Similarly if he's to play through the middle, that inhibits Hourihane who just seemed to be finding his feet and pushes back O'Hare's progress.  And there's still Grealish to come back who was supposed to be the fulcrum there.

Seems to be to be a total lack of cohesive thinking about this window.

Indeed as was criticized in his time at Sunderland he keeps buying more and more players with no improvement with the team its all very cack handed and frankly no better than the scatter gun approach we had with the previous regime .

• Like 2

Â