Glenn Whelan

Jareth

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Wouldn't mind him being given a 1 year contract if it's on a reasonable salary for a backup player 

Given the outgoings yesterday, I'm thinking this has been offered and he's gone away to consider it.

I agree that he might prove useful off the bench occasionally, but you shouldn't earn £1m a year for a couple of 10 minute cameos and being a good bloke. People do though!

I think this silence is him considering a 25-50% pay cut and one year deal.

I think he'll take it because no one else is going to give him much more, and as has been said, he's settled.

Turned out alright in the end, when I saw him playing for Ireland years ago I thought he looked like one of the least talented players I'd ever seen so wasn't that happy he joined, but thanks for all the effort.  I'm a bit surprised that the club have been this ruthless, I thought a couple would stay for continuity.  

Thought he might get another year deal, he's probably the only one who we've released who I wouldn't have minded staying, hopefully he can help another club in the championship get promoted again this coming season, I wish him all the best! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm very happy about this, now of course Glenn did fantastic last season and proved to be an important player in our success, but ultimately he does not have the legs and IMO ability (at this stage of his career) for the Premier League, so I'm happy to see sentiment isn't getting in the way of decision making and we're doing what's best for next season. 

I agree with this. Best for all involved that he leaves us after promotion with his head held high rather than trying to make it happen in the PL at this stage of his career.

All the best, Glenn.

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I would have kept him for another season. Turned out alright in the end. And gave us good service ...all the best for the future.

Maybe he  was offered a deal but he could get better elsewhere? 

Good Luck to him. He always gave his all for us which is all you can ask. 

I was all aboard the giving him a 1 yr deal etc. Then I remembered he's older than Jedinak. Been undervalued at times imo but great to see him put some good showings together and go out on a high. Good luck for the future and all that.

Â