Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Great effort at the club. Exactly the right sort of character. 

Don't think he should be in next season's squad. 

think he might though as back up. Bjarnason and Jedi almost certainly move on, Lansbury I have no idea what will happen. We play 3 centre midfielders so we would still probably need bring in a few replacements. Whelan as 5th or 6th choice be fine for me

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

think he might though as back up. Bjarnason and Jedi almost certainly move on, Lansbury I have no idea what will happen. We play 3 centre midfielders so we would still probably need bring in a few replacements. Whelan as 5th or 6th choice be fine for me

I felt at the time that Whelan joined us that it was because he knew that the Championship would be a better pace for him at this point in his career. Players in the PL haven't got any slower over the last two years. 

I'd be tempted to give him another year as a squad player, he'll be good for that dressing room next season even if just as a back up. Last thing we want is to do  a Fulham and spunk huge money and wreck the spirit we've built with this squad. It's that happy medium of recruiting well and strengthening but at the same time not taking away the rapport this squad has built over the last few months. GW epitomises the attitude and character we'll need behind the scenes next year despite his obvious limitations

• Like 1

Tremendous this season for two reasons:

(1) His penalty miss got Bruce the sack

(2) He has been excellent under Smith and has established himself as a key player

That said, I think we should part ways and give him an enormous pat on the back for his efforts and contribution to our promotion. Ultimately he's old and his legs will not handle the premier league, we will be signing better quality in his position and giving youth players more of a role in the squad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

I'd be tempted to give him another year as a squad player, he'll be good for that dressing room next season even if just as a back up. Last thing we want is to do  a Fulham and spunk huge money and wreck the spirit we've built with this squad. It's that happy medium of recruiting well and strengthening but at the same time not taking away the rapport this squad has built over the last few months. GW epitomises the attitude and character we'll need behind the scenes next year despite his obvious limitations

This though is where you have to draw the line between sentiment and doing the right thing. Whelan been brilliant for us but like another poster alluded to, premier league players haven't got worse. So he won't be able for it, simple as. It's the coaching staffs job to be good behind the scenes and motivate the team. Can't keep a lad on the playing staff in the premier league when he isn't good enough to play in it. No. Fulham got it all wrong. I agree but we won't go that way i feel. It's fairly obvious what we need. New LB. Central midfielder.  If Tammy leaves, new striker. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

This though is where you have to draw the line between sentiment and doing the right thing. Whelan been brilliant for us but like another poster alluded to, premier league players haven't got worse. So he won't be able for it, simple as. It's the coaching staffs job to be good behind the scenes and motivate the team. Can't keep a lad on the playing staff in the premier league when he isn't good enough to play in it. No. Fulham got it all wrong. I agree but we won't go that way i feel. It's fairly obvious what we need. New LB. Central midfielder.  If Tammy leaves, new striker. 

I understand that, however it wouldn't harm to keep one or two senior pros in the dressing room for another year. Obviously he wouldn't play many games, but don't underestimate big characters like that behind the scenes in what will be a tough season next year. I get the sentiment thing, for me keeping him wouldn't be sentiment. It would be necessity of keeping a good character around the place (short term, just a year) which wouldn't harm anything imo. If anything, the ones we ought to be moving on are the Bjarnasons and the Lansburys. 

Guessing Glenn will also be on his way? Fanatastic season which I think many have suggested that his career was somewhat wasted under Pulis! 

4 minutes ago, Dale said:

Guessing Glenn will also be on his way? Fanatastic season which I think many have suggested that his career was somewhat wasted under Pulis! 

Not the opposite. 4 big squad players released and not much word on him. Think will get new deal

I'd be OK with another year as long as he doesn't play and is on little to no money.

Might not be ideal thou as we only have 25 spots in the squad...

Edited by sne

I think in time he could also become a useful addition to the coaching team so if his wages are realistic then it’s a good deal all round.

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 19:48, MikeAVFC said:

I'd be tempted to give him another year as a squad player, he'll be good for that dressing room next season even if just as a back up.

You could pay someone £1k/week to come in and be a professional Mr Motivator 

Theres no need to pay a finished player £40k/week to do that job if he's not good enough to play anymore.

Thanks for your efforts Glen but let's use that money more wisely please.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You could pay someone £1k/week to come in and be a professional Mr Motivator 

Theres no need to pay a finished player £40k/week to do that job if he's not good enough to play anymore.

Thanks for your efforts Glen but let's use that money more wisely please.

There’s no way he will be offered 40k a week. If he is offered a deal if will be on our terms i’m sure. Then it’s up to Glen to decide if he can make more elsewhere.

Can't see how it benefits us. He is 35 and the level up here is so much more intense than championship. 

I think he has been really excellent this year but I think we need to move on tbh

Â