Glenn Whelan

Jareth

Speaks volumes that he has been able to turn the majority of the fan base around in the past 12 months. Something I did not think I would ever see.

Another model professional, we certainly have some leadership and professionalism to replace in the dressing room. Thanks Glenn!

12 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Last season he was a lot better I have to admit but he was absolutely beyond shocking in 17-18 so its not hard. 

He really wasn't.

He was shocking in a couple of his first appearances for us and a lot of people have never seemed to get over it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The first two are about the same incident, and the third article is about a few tweets from villa fans calling him crap.

And he was man of the match in that Small Heath game so I'm not sure you're doing yourself any favours here :D 

21 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

He was terrible for about 6 months. Like real bad as well not even just a bit poor. 

I don't think he was terrible on reflection, just had spells where he wasn't that good or effective. It's no surprise that his levels improved under Smith, a far more competent manager, coach and tactician. 

Under Bruce ball Whelan was getting a lot more exposed  since we had less of the ball and hence there was a greater demand on him being more of a 'destroyer type' who had to win lots of tackles, make more interceptions and be more of a physical presence. These things aren't his real strengths aside from making interceptions. Under Smith he flourished precisely because we had a more possession based game and that played to Whelan's strengths at receiving the ball in space and passing it off in deeper positions, i.e. keeping everything ticking over.

I always said, he's a better player in a team when that team isn't looking to "contain", but looks to play on the front foot with bodies ahead. He wasn't at his best last season, but under Smith he was paying in a team which really suited him.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-just-had-real-madrid-on-the-phone-glenn-whelan-bears-no-ill-will-after-being-released-by-aston-villa-38177864.html

"I signed there for two years to get them back to the Premier League and it was mission accomplished," he said.

"It wasn't a surprise to get released, the stage I am at in my career and where Aston Villa want to go so I am proud of what I have done. I think I missed one game for Villa all season, I hurt my shoulder once and was out but I was available for every other game and training session.

"I didn't know it [playoff] would be my last game, we had quite a few players out of contract, no one wanted to talk about it.

"The only disappointment for me was that I went away on the Tuesday with the family for a few days, when I landed I had two missed calls, one from a journalist and one from the manager, that was disappointing.

Got to say, I thought better of the people at the club than that. Wouldn't have hurt to give him the courtesy of letting him know face to face, or at least keeping it back from the **** media until he found out. Very poor form.

Edited by Davkaus

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Got to say, I thought better of the people at the club than that. Wouldn't have hurt to give him the courtesy of letting him know face to face, or at least keeping it back from the **** media until he found out. Very poor form.

Maybe they wanted to let him know face to face but he was gone on holidays and had his phone off. Bizarre thing to complain about, I was away on holidays and uncontactable and when I came back I found out I was on the list of 8 players the club was releasing.  

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Maybe they wanted to let him know face to face but he was gone on holidays and had his phone off. Bizarre thing to complain about, I was away on holidays and uncontactable and when I came back I found out I was on the list of 8 players the club was releasing.  

That's my thoughts. If your away what is the club meant to do? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

And even in the interview he says he knew he was going to be released anyway. Although to be fair to him it's silly season so the media are quick to create a headline out of nothing.

reminds me of gareth barry moaning about MON being away at the world cup rather than sorting his contract out in an exclusive interview from his florida holiday home

im sure his agent had at least some sort of chat with the club and knew the score, if he didn't he needs a new agent

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Call him? I read that as he flew on the tuesday to go away with the family and when he landed from the flight the news was out. It's not like his phone was off for two weeks.

Don't think it's outrageous for him to suggest they might have officially let him know before the news got out.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Call him? I read that as he flew on the tuesday to go away with the family and when he landed from the flight the news was out. It's not like his phone was off for two weeks.

Don't think it's outrageous for him to suggest they might have officially let him know before the news got out.

I'm not sure how the news was out on Tuesday when we only found out on Saturday? People on here were convinced that he was going to be offered a new deal up until Saturday.

Why would we break news to the media which nobody reported until after the official confirmation on the Saturday?

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I'm not sure how the news was out on Tuesday when we only found out on Saturday? People on here were convinced that he was going to be offered a new deal up until Saturday.

Why would we break news to the media which nobody reported until after the official confirmation on the Saturday?

Meh, I dunno. Just how it read.

I'm sure in 2019 that Whelan wasn't uncontactable during his few days away.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Meh, I dunno. Just how it read.

I'm sure in 2019 that Whelan wasn't uncontactable during his few days away.

Yeah I'm not arguing that he couldn't have been contacted. I'm also not sure why we wouldn't have contacted him given that we had almost a full week from promotion until we announced the players being released.

Â