Glenn Whelan

Jareth

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I was all aboard the giving him a 1 yr deal etc. Then I remembered he's older than Jedinak. Been undervalued at times imo but great to see him put some good showings together and go out on a high. Good luck for the future and all that.

Yep he was always a target as he wasn't entertaining enough. Did a fine job

Best of luck for the future Glenn and many thanks for your big contribution to our successful promotion campaign. 

Glenn is a true professional, whose solid midfield performances played a crucial role in our tremendous late run to make the playoffs. He hit a real purple patch and was the rock on which several of our most impressive displays were built during the run in.

He certainly knew how to celebrate in style too, as we witnessed at WBA & Wembley.

• Like 2

We only witnessed Whelan”s true ability when his team mates increased their movement and made themselves available to receive a pass that wasn’t just 5 yards backwards. It must have been very frustrating at times under previous management.

I trust Smith and his team to know what they expect of a CDM in the Premier League, to know what Whelan’s current and likely future post match recovery rates were and to know what player(s) is available to fill the role (or at least be confident in their budget to get a decent CDM).

Good luck Glen and thanks for the experience and performances you gave, especially in our promotion season.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He had a good run over a few months which were I admit crucial but I do think his contribution to the club is being somewhat over done. 

I dont disagree with your point but Whelan always seemed a target from some fans for no reason since he arrived. So was nice to see him leave on a high

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I dont disagree with your point but Whelan always seemed a target from some fans for no reason since he arrived. So was nice to see him leave on a high

I don’t disagree although criticism of his earlier form was justified although it should be tempered by the fact he was playing for a man with the tactical knowledge of a brick.

I just think at times get very carried away about players.

• Like 1

I think Glenn did a job on and off the field and in terms of attitude behind the scenes, played his part in the club getting its soul back.

Not the stand out signing, but players like him and Des Bremner, never will be.

I take my hat off to a top pro.....but the decision is correct ,sadly for Glenn and the other boys over 30

I express my appreciation to him and remember him for his good games.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

Probably the one I’m most sad to see go, but ultimately it’s the right decision. It has been a pleasure to watch him over these past few months. 

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's not that, it was his glacial speed and passes to the opposition people had problems with. 

4th best passing accuracy in the squad last season :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That's fine but if 1/200 of the missed ones costs a goal it's not worth it

that happened once, I would say other players made as many mistakes

I thought we'd keep him for another year but on the same note I didn't realise how old he is. I assumed he was 33, not 35!

Good luck Glenn and hope you find a local club so you don't have to move. I think he could do a job back at Stoke or perhaps Derby?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's happened quite a few times in his time at villa. 

I would like to know all these times. From my memory Hourihane, Chester, Nyland, Hutton, Elmo made lot more mistakes leading to goals last season than Whelan 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I would like to know all these times. From my memory Hourihane, Chester, Nyland, Hutton, Elmo made lot more mistakes leading to goals last season than Whelan 

Last season he was a lot better I have to admit but he was absolutely beyond shocking in 17-18 so its not hard. 

Â