Glenn Whelan

Jareth

I agree. Whelan means we'll be playing some shitty defensive game trying to nick a goal or two, not that we would on the break as he moves the ball too slowly. If CDM is the most important position it's bloody frightening that we have Whelan there. We need to go and take the game to Derby not see him get skinned and burnt for pace by Mount all game before laying it off to Marriott in the 72nd minute when it's 1-1.

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

Hourihane scored 2 of those  goals, how many did Whelan score or assist ?  

By that logic start hourihane instead of Tammy... 

They have different roles when playing, whelan never gonna do what Connor does and vice versa, which ever one is picked will mean a different game plan. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tinker said:

Hourihane scored 2 of those  goals, how many did Whelan score or assist ?  

One.

But that is bizarre logic. Hourihane scoring 2 goals with Whelan behind him totally proves the point I was making :) 

I can see an argument for either player starting but I think Smith will go with Whelan. I think we are just about a better balanced team when he plays rather than Conor. Tough, tough call though.

I would however play Kodjia instead of Adomah/Green; I think if Whelan is playing we have that extra security for any of his defensive shortcomings but more going forward.

• Like 3

On 25/05/2019 at 20:35, VillaJ100 said:

I hope this washed up never was clogger is a million miles from the playoff final. Too slow, too prone to errors that we won't be able to afford at Wembley. 

Glenn will start tomorrow and he'll upset mount and Wilson. Drain the life out of them. 

Hourihane to come on after and ping in a few winners 🍻🚿

• Like 1

I think we are in a pretty good position when we can discuss who plays out of these 2. 

I don't think either decision would be a massive mistake. For me though i'd prefer to start with hourihane. 

• Like 3

Theories that playing Glenn means we are defensive and not as likely to score are rubbish.  He was playing that role when we were winning for fun.

I don't mind who plays there tomorrow, I'll trust DS to make that important decision. 

If Glenn does his job well, which he usually does, it increases the confidence of everyone in front of him.

Hourihane offers other qualities, but has proved to be a bit more gusty and prepared to work hard of late. I have never been his biggest fan but he has made me look foolish in recent times.

Both are very good players for us. 

• Like 1

As i said before it's about how we expect the game to be and how we will go about it.

If we expect to have a lot of the possession then Hourihane should start, if it's the other way then Whelan.

If we think Mount is a big enough threat that he warrants constant marking then maybe Whelan should play, if he can do the job. Not seen Mount play more than once so no idea if he's worth the sacrifice.

Making it out like Whelan defensive, Hourihane attacking is way too simple.

Today, particularly we need to avoid giving the ball away cheaply, as that will surely bring them in to the game.....our passing & Ball control needs to be spot on.

They are not known for pressing and ball winning, so our ability to keep the ball away from them will starve them.....we simply cannot afford to have a day of sloppy passing.

Â