Glenn Whelan

Jareth

29 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Joined Hearts......cannot see him being on anywhere near the wage he was on at Villa so Mrs Whelan may have to tighten her belt into the quality of wine she enjoys. 

She's in Scotland for the whisky, the pisshead.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

didn't buy in to at the time and still don't now

he was out of contract, he was on holiday (I think) he didn't get the good bye from the club that they wanted? any uncertainty over his future and whether he would be offered a deal is his agents problem not the clubs, that's what they pay him for

According to Glenn he was never officially told by the club that he was released

Which is pretty shitty if it's true to be fair. Story was that he was on holiday so couldn't be contacted. But it's 2019, I'm not sure that's true.

Don't really know who to believe. IF Glenn was let go without officially being told by anyone at the club then it's pretty shitty. IF he was then they're making a fuss about nothing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Joined Hearts......cannot see him being on anywhere near the wage he was on at Villa so Mrs Whelan may have to tighten her belt into the quality of wine she enjoys. 

Irn Bru

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

According to Glenn he was never officially told by the club that he was released

Which is pretty shitty if it's true to be fair. Story was that he was on holiday so couldn't be contacted. But it's 2019, I'm not sure that's true.

Don't really know who to believe. IF Glenn was let go without officially being told by anyone at the club then it's pretty shitty. IF he was then they're making a fuss about nothing.

that's the way I remember the story being too but I don't believe it, for that to be true what did his agent do? absolutely **** all? his agent should know his deal had expired and that he wasn't getting a new one, his agent should be hounding the club for a new deal or get on the phone to find him an alternative 

if in feb / mar his agent asked the club about a new deal and he got told he wouldn't be getting one then what did he expect? a phone call from the club on the day his contract expired reminding him that they aren't giving him a new deal? that's bollocks 

he has a piece of paper sat somewhere in his house that says you are contracted until x, when x transpires you are no longer contracted by aston villa, I find it hard to believe he didn't know that date or understand how it worked

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The story from whelan was that he went on holiday and on his return, he turned his phone on and noticed two missed calls, one from Deano and one from a journalist, he said he then knew he had been released.

More fool him for not being contactable on holiday tbh, he wasn't not told, he just didn't pick up the call.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that's the way I remember the story being too but I don't believe it, for that to be true what did his agent do? absolutely **** all? his agent should know his deal had expired and that he wasn't getting a new one, his agent should be hounding the club for a new deal or get on the phone to find him an alternative 

if in feb / mar his agent asked the club about a new deal and he got told he wouldn't be getting one then what did he expect? a phone call from the club on the day his contract expired reminding him that they aren't giving him a new deal? that's bollocks 

he has a piece of paper sat somewhere in his house that says you are contracted until x, when x transpires you are no longer contracted by aston villa, I find it hard to believe he didn't know that date or understand how it worked

I think that's harsh.

I don't think it's a case of not understanding how it worked.

The way I read it was discussions had been had and he knew it was possible he wouldn't be renewed but wasn't officially told. Obviously he'd know he'd be out of contract if it wasn't renewed but you'd still expect him to actually be told.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

The story from whelan was that he went on holiday and on his return, he turned his phone on and noticed two missed calls, one from Deano and one from a journalist, he said he then knew he had been released.

More fool him for not being contactable on holiday tbh, he wasn't not told, he just didn't pick up the call.

Pretty sure he meant he turned his phone off for the FLIGHT back from holiday. And when he landed he had a missed call from the club and one from a journo. It's a bit shitty if they didn't try to tell him until, presumably, just as the news was released.

If he couldn't be contacted for the whole of his holiday then I agree that's on him.

but then tie that in to the 2 phone call story, its his agents responsibility to tell him that there is no deal in place not dean smiths

Whelan pays a man a percentage of his wage to make that phone call

I don't see the club doing anything wrong, a good bye would be courteous and it sounds like smith tried to make one but that's it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He had a contract which ran out at the end of June. He knew that, the club knew that. It would be highly unusual for both GW and AV to not, either of them, have any idea that "you know what. this contract runs out in a week or so, let's just sit here and not mention it to each other, and then act all surprised. So basically, for him to have not been told, he'd also to have not asked directly or via his agent "er, new contract at all?"

I agree that if the club were to have somehow avoided telling him that the contract was not going to be renewed, if he had not asked, if his agent had not asked, then that's poor communication by all concerned, but I don't buy it that he was in the dark because of some club (in)action. It would be nice to think that he and the club (manager, CEO) would have talked, just to say thanks and 'bye, but I don't at all accept he was accidentally or deliberately kept in the dark.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

He had a contract which ran out at the end of June. He knew that, the club knew that. It would be highly unusual for both GW and AV to not, either of them, have any idea that "you know what. this contract runs out in a week or so, let's just sit here and not mention it to each other, and then act all surprised. So basically, for him to have not been told, he'd also to have not asked directly or via his agent "er, new contract at all?"

But obviously nobody is saying that. We all know the guy isn't a moron. Nobody is saying nobody asked and it just wasn't discussed ever until it expired. 

What it sounded like was discussions had been had but nobody had made a decision. What I reckon was most likely was the club were waiting to see what division we'd be in before deciding whether or not to offer him a deal. Glenn went away shortly after the playoff final before that final discussion had been had and by the time he got back the decision had been made without him being told.

It wasn't that it just never came up. If it was then obviously I agree with you, but I think it's pretty obvious that wasn't the case.

At some point somebody made that decision and didn't tell Whelan.

You're right, his contract ran out at the end of June. At the end of May the decision was made that his wasn't going to get renewed and the press knew about it before he did. It's not like his contract ran out at the end of June and THEN he made this comment about not knowing about it. The press knew a month before his contract ran out that it wasn't getting renewed. Nobody was keeping him in the dark, but clearly from what he's saying somebody decided his contract wasn't getting renewed and didn't tell him before it was public knowledge.

Edited by Stevo985

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And that imo is the guy who whelan pays a percentage of his wages to in order to manage his contracts and deals

Its not Aston villa 

Why do you assume he was told?

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why do you assume he was told?

He wasnt the only player released by us, in fact we've probably set a British record for number of players released at the same time.  I can't see any other complaints from Jedinak or Hutton and co.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He wasnt the only player released by us, in fact we've probably set a British record for number of players released at the same time.  I can't see any other complaints from Jedinak or Hutton and co.

So?

I seem to remember we announced a number of players who were being released like Jedinak,Hutton etc but Whelan wasn’t mentioned.

It was suggested he was maybe going to be offered a new deal but the next day it was announced he was leaving .

I wonder if Villa tried to contact him and were unable so they didn’t announce it with the others but after 24 hours they felt it had to be announced.He probably shouldn’t have turned his phone off.

While we might never know the truth, finding out you had been officially released from a press release is a bit poor (if true). Villa must have known they were releasing him for a while so I wouldn't have left it until the same day of the press release to ring him up and tell him. 

Selected quotes from the article linked below -

“To be released wasn’t a surprise at this stage of my career and where the club wants to go. I’m very pleased with what I’ve achieved over the last two seasons.”

“The only disappointment for me was that I went away on the Tuesday with my family and I had two missed calls when I arrived home, one from a journalist saying I’d been released, the other from the manager who said he wanted to speak to me, so from that point of view it’s disappointing but it’s something I had expected to be honest.”

The 35-year old however cleared up the confusion about how he heard the news explaining that his busy schedule between time with his family and meeting up with the Irish squad meant that a face to face meeting with manager Dean Smith was almost impossible.

Whelan also wished his former club all the best in the Premier League explaining that he holds no animosity towards Smith and Aston Villa.

“I knew it couldn’t be face to face because of, obviously, three or four days after we were meeting up here I wanted to spend some time with my family.”

“We spoke on the phone and congratulated each other, wished each other the best. There was no hard feelings, I’m in the game too long to hold grudges. I wish Aston Villa all the best.”

Link

So the final was played on Monday 27th May.

Glenn goes on holiday/international duty on Tuesday 28th May for a week. 

Villa put out a statement regarding players leaving on Saturday 1st June.

Glen returns and sees the two missed calls on Tuesday 4th June (him stating he found out on a Tuesday can be found elsewhere...so unless I’m missing something it must be that Tuesday).

Again, unless I’m missing something incredibly obvious, why was he unaware that the club had made an announcement until Tuesday 4th? I can believe that he doesn’t google his own name, but did no one bother sending him a text saying “ah well mate, you’ll find another club, plenty of life in them legs yet...etc etc. Did his wife not hear anything on twitter? No one in the international squad had any idea either?

While the whole thing is a bit odd, Glenn clearly was expecting it and I suspect he’s not too downbeat about it.

• 3 months later...
Â