Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't see how it benefits us. He is 35 and the level up here is so much more intense than championship. 

I think he has been really excellent this year but I think we need to move on tbh

I know you are one the clubs leading budding accountants but what can it hurt to give him a low paid contract as a squad player?

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

£20k a week or so, a yes from me. Keep yourself ticking over, dip in and out when needed, be a voice in the dressing room, do your badges, start in the media.

Surely a no brainer for all parties. 

Depends on his ambitions surely?

He may see himself as having one more full season in his tank, at which point I suspect he'd join another Championship club.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Depends on his ambitions surely?

He may see himself as having one more full season in his tank, at which point I suspect he'd join another Championship club.

I reckon he’d have to drop his wages a fair bit for that. He could probably get paid more in the US, Middle East or Indian Super league if he fancies a last pay out. 

The premier League isn't more physical than then championship.  Some of the players like sterling, sane etc are rapid, but there's a lot of players in the prem who aren't very quick.  It's technically better, which is why you can't afford to make mistakes, because they get punished more.

Glenn Whelan probably has the same pace he had at Stoke.. I don't think the league is suddenly faster.  He'll be fine if used for the right conditions, I anticipate he'll be in the squad and used sparingly this year.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I reckon he’d have to drop his wages a fair bit for that. He could probably get paid more in the US, Middle East or Indian Super league if he fancies a last pay out. 

Aye, but he might not be arsed about money, could be wrong obvs but he doesn’t strike me as the sort.....more likely to fancy one last competitive season I reckon

• Like 1

For me it isn't about the money, I'm sure he'd accept a low contract if we offered him.

It's more about me not thinking he'll add anything on the field and the 25 man squad limit. (if that's still a thing in the PL?)

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The premier League isn't more physical than then championship.  Some of the players like sterling, sane etc are rapid, but there's a lot of players in the prem who aren't very quick.  It's technically better, which is why you can't afford to make mistakes, because they get punished more.

Glenn Whelan probably has the same pace he had at Stoke.. I don't think the league is suddenly faster.  He'll be fine if used for the right conditions, I anticipate he'll be in the squad and used sparingly this year.

You’re right. The main differences for me are technique and speed of thought/decision making. Yes, there are players who are faster/stronger etc, but physicality isn’t the main reason for the difference in class.

I am all for keeping Whelan if the cub feel it’s right. We’ve lost a lot of players and a lot of leading figures in the dressing room - keeping an experienced head like Whelan, who is clearly well liked/respected amongst his peers is a good move. 

8 minutes ago, sne said:

For me it isn't about the money, I'm sure he'd accept a low contract if we offered him.

It's more about me not thinking he'll add anything on the field and the 25 man squad limit. (if that's still a thing in the PL?)

as long as he's happy with not playing much, i would keep him around for his professionalism and work ethic, we will have a lot of new players coming in this summer, and we really need some people around to maintain and bed the new players in to the culture and work ethic around the club (Grealish, Mings, Whelan etc?).

if we get rid of all our "old professionals", it concerns me that we might lose some of what made this club and team so great this season, hence i would have him around the club if possible for one more season, to help out and hopefully his professionalism would rub off on others.

I thought the same for Jedinak tho tbh, but he has been let go, so im not holding out much hope tbh.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Can't see how it benefits us. He is 35 and the level up here is so much more intense than championship. 

I think he has been really excellent this year but I think we need to move on tbh

You need some experienced heads in the squad. He is meant to be very good in the dressing room, and a big influence on the training ground, always pushing others to work harder. He knows the premier league we’ll and would make a good back up option, even if it’s just to kill a game off. Smith he used him a lot, so can see why he’d get another year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You need some experienced heads in the squad. He is meant to be very good in the dressing room, and a big influence on the training ground, always pushing others to work harder. He knows the premier league we’ll and would make a good back up option, even if it’s just to kill a game off. Smith he used him a lot, so can see why he’d get another year.

Yeah, I think DS is big on this "be a good team mate" philosophy, and Whelan seems to embody that. He had a reputation at Stoke for being a player who always wanted to prove his doubters wrong, and that's the kind of attitude we want from all the kids. No harm in keeping this kind of player around. A positive influence.

• Like 2

I'm fine with him sticking around for another season.  By his own admission, he was fit the entire season and available to play, which is an accomplishment for someone of his age.  He's a positive influence in the dressing room, a model professional, and may have aspirations to become the assistant coach who takes over for Terry when he decides to strike out on his own in management.  He may be the squad's Jedinak next season, meaning he didn't play much, rode the bench most of the time, but did what we needed him to do when called upon in a pinch.  

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Aye, but he might not be arsed about money, could be wrong obvs but he doesn’t strike me as the sort.....more likely to fancy one last competitive season I reckon

He has also spent over a decade at Stoke and Villa so probably very settled in the area

I love him, a complete and proper midfielder, as I've been ridiculed for saying 🙂 very intelligent player who makes the right decisions and reads the game really well. But, he was regarded not to be good enough for the Premier League by Stoke two years ago. Time to move on and upgrade our DCM to a younger and better version. If we would keep one of Whelan or Jedi, I'd rather stick with Jedi, he can come on and close games for us and be mighty.

He's one of the few players we currently have who has a number of years Premier league experience. We are going to need some experience about the place if only to give a little instruction whilst the young and hungry are doing the heavy lifting. 

• Like 1

Â