Glenn Whelan

Jareth

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

He "passed" the ball out for a throw quite a few times yesterday. I can understand when its an attempted long range pass that's slightly overhit or underhit, but these were 20 yard passes. I'm sorry but I expect a central midfielder to be better in this area.

I realise though there aren't many options in midfield at the moment and with everyone fit he probably wouldn't be playing, but let's not exaggerate that he's been a good signing or that some fans are making up how poor he really is. Fully expect him to be gone in the summer.  

Define "quite a few"

He had the second highest pass completion yesterday. 90%

That means he misplaced 6 passes all game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Get him tied down. 4 more years.

Dont know about that but could certainly hand him year by year contracts.

He's had his fare share of critics and a couple of recent performances that show him entirely as a different looking player shouldnt be a reason to hand out a 4 year contract. I don't see why a new contract can't be given out if he proves beyond a doubt this isn't a short stint from him, if welcome it in fact. It would show alot from Whelan and some of those players heavy criticised over recent months if they changed and put all they had Into football again.

I think the only way some of them stay at season end is if they put in the performances of there life and get us to the playoffs and promoted. Good on them if they can pull it off with the chips stacked against us now, maybe that's what they need.

Edited by Dave-R

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Outstanding.

Agreed. His all round game today was excellent. Passing, tackling, reading of the game, link up play he did it all and had a big hand in 3 of our goals. He has been very good for the last few weeks now in fairness to him.

Vastly underrated by many of us, including myself at times. If he was a couple of years younger he'd be earning himself a new contract.

• Like 4

Class act today. 

Wouldn’t give a new contract, but showed his worth today. That’s how a dm should play. 

Think that put to rest those silly rumours that said he was one of the ones moanin about smith. A consummate professional. Read the other week, that someone at stoke said they miss Whelan due to his professionalism that he brought and that he doesn’t let players get away with not trying 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Agreed. His all round game today was excellent. Passing, tackling, reading of the game, link up play he did it all and had a big hand in 3 of our goals. He has been very good for the last few weeks now in fairness to him.

Vastly underrated by many of us, including myself at times. If he was a couple of years younger he'd be earning himself a new contract.

All of the above but especially this.

• Like 1

I think both Whelan’s and Hourihane’s performances show the importance of a balanced midfield with complementary skills. Grealish’s presence makes everyone else better, or able to use their skills correctly not having to do tasks they’re not really good at. 

• Like 2

Just now, Michelsen said:

I think both Whelan’s and Hourihane’s performances show the importance of a balanced midfield with complementary skills. Grealish’s presence makes everyone else better, or able to use their skills correctly not having to do tasks they’re not really good at. 

well said.

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Dont know about that but could certainly hand him year by year contracts.

He's had his fare share of critics and a couple of recent performances that show him entirely as a different looking player shouldnt be a reason to hand out a 4 year contract. I don't see why a new contract can't be given out if he proves beyond a doubt this isn't a short stint from him, if welcome it in fact. It would show alot from Whelan and some of those players heavy criticised over recent months if they changed and put all they had Into football again.

I think the only way some of them stay at season end is if they put in the performances of there life and get us to the playoffs and promoted. Good on them if they can pull it off with the chips stacked against us now, maybe that's what they need.

It think next season he would be good to bring on to see a game over the line.....He's not got the legs anymore, but the brain is still there and the composure, valuable.

I like him.

Â