Glenn Whelan

Jareth

For a player who gets a disproportionate amount of abuse from his own fans he was immense last night. Demanded the ball instead of hiding from it and pushing forward when needed instead of sitting back. We would not have rescued a point without him. Fair play to him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I must admit that I am not Whelan's greatest fan, but he changed the game when he came on. Fair play to him, but we desperately need more dynamism in midfield for next season. I can't see us making the play=offs this year.

• Like 2

He really changed the game when he came on. He had a lot of energy and belief in bringing us back into the game I thought and he nullified the Sheffield United threat. I quite like Whelan and I don’t think he gets the praise he deserves. It reminds me a bit of how people used to drag on Milner a bit but he does so much important stuff that isn’t particularly noticeable or glamorous. 

Glenn Whelan does a great job for the team in my opinion, his influence on the younger players cannot be underestimated. Yes, he’s approaching the end of his career but he’s never let us down. I’ll miss him when he does leave but he’s been a great at club and international level

• Like 1

Sorry i didnt think he had a good game. I thought when he had the ball he wasted everything. Not only that his passing was poor and his seeking out of players on the wing was wasted by again his passing going to fare or to short  

As for his collecting the ball, to be fair he was chasing it down alot and was helping other players to close down the ball and make the gaps smaller, seemed to have more energy that the rest of midfield.

Still think he was like a pinball machine though, every time the pinball came to him it either bounced of him or he whacked it anywhere he could, wasted to much in my eyes.

He's not alone on who wasted to much though, id say around six other players are with him on that.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Haha 1

Think he was generally ok at what he was there to do , but struggles due to age and physical limitations ..overall as has been the case for ages now we have a midfield that is unable to play at a high tempo 

Boro is highlighted as a game we where very good , that sat back Pulis set them up to be defensive at allowed us time to pass it around.When teams get at us with a high press we just lose the ball , or lump and this has been going on since we were in Prem League its amazing that we still after 2 different owners 3/4 managers cant figure this out 

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Thought he had another good game. 

Meh, I thought he was as bad as the rest of the middle of the park to be honest. 

Couldve been down to commentators curse though - at one point, one of them said “Glenn Whelan just doesn’t give away the ball”... his passing just went to utter shit after that. It really was awful. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Meh, I thought he was as bad as the rest of the middle of the park to be honest. 

Couldve been down to commentators curse though - at one point, one of them said “Glenn Whelan just doesn’t give away the ball”... his passing just went to utter shit after that. It really was awful. 

He was easily our best midfielder last night. And I'm including John McGinn.

Between him and Mings for man of the match.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Haven’t seen the game but no suprises to see this. You really do love the guy! 

You're obsessed.

The guy played well. I'm giving him his dues. Plenty of other people pointing out in this thread that he played well.

• Haha 1

Â