Glenn Whelan

Jareth

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We were ten times the team when he wasn't playing when we had Grealish.

notice the word " Type" not necessarily him.

personally, I think he has gone now....too slow....He never was quick, but slower than ever.

but despite Grealish being a fine player....He is not an enforcer either.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We were ten times the team when he wasn't playing when we had Grealish.

because Jack carried the ball, and kept possession, unless he was fouled and even then, he retained it, as a free kick....keeping possession is in itself a form of defensive work, because without the ball the opposition, can't hurt us.

Edited by TRO

34 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

We was better because Grealish was in the team, nothing to do with Whelan.

We were better because of Grealish, I agree.

I only said the first thing because TRO had said, Whelan's type was essential—and I was being anal, messing around a bit, and trying to point out that in our best run of results we didn't have a Whelan type in the team at all. Hourihane wasn't really a DM but more of a deep playmaker. Therefore a Whelan type isn't essential.

The thing that lets Hourihane down the most is his pace, and I don't agree that we need a Whelan type at all—I just think we need someone who is quick enough to stop players gliding past them as if they're not there (a problem with Hourihane, Whelan, BB and Jedinak) and who is also able to pass the ball forwards.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We were better because of Grealish, I agree.

I only said the first thing because TRO had said, Whelan's type was essential—and I was being anal, messing around a bit, and trying to point out that in our best run of results we didn't have a Whelan type in the team at all. Hourihane wasn't really a DM but more of a deep playmaker. Therefore a Whelan type isn't essential.

The thing that lets Hourihane down the most is his pace, and I don't agree that we need a Whelan type at all—I just think we need someone who is quick enough to stop players gliding past them as if they're not there (a problem with Hourihane, Whelan, BB and Jedinak), while also being able to pass the ball forwards.

To be fair it's most successful teams in the past few seasons operate with a designated DM,

WC 2018 – France – Kante

Euro 2016 – Portugal - William Carvalho

Prem 2018 – City - Fernandinho

Prem 2017 – Chelsea – Kante

Prem 2016 – Leicester – Kante

Champions League 2018 – Real Madrid - Casemiro

Champions League 2017 – Real Madrid - Casemiro

Champions League 2016 – Real Madrid - Casemiro

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

To be fair it's most successful teams in the past few seasons operate with a designated DM,

WC 2018 – France – Kante

Every team needs at least one.....

9ab0a165-66f4-497e-98cb-a2f6acf3c3ad.jpg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kiltorken said:

WC 2018 – France – Kante

Difference being that those people still have the use of their legs.

• Like 1

From a defensive point of view if you actually watch the work he does off the ball covering space, cutting off channels he's actually quite effective and his passing is nowhere near as bad as people make out. Another one consigned to scapegoatism here. 

Either way he will be replaced in the summer regardless of your opinion of him so constantly ripping into him serves no purpose. If Dean Smith reckons he's good enough for the first team at the moment then he must have something about him unless of course you think Smith is a moron who has no idea what he's doing. 

15 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

As an Irishman, I can assure you he was equally bad 5 years ago.

That is a frightening statement to make. How on earth are Villa going to get into the playoffs if we have to rely on Whelan in midfield?

7 hours ago, Fazilla said:

That is a frightening statement to make. How on earth are Villa going to get into the playoffs if we have to rely on Whelan in midfield?

I don't think we are....we simply don't do the things you need to do, to get there.

On 01/02/2019 at 17:36, kiltorken said:

WC 2018 – France – Kante

add Busquets at Barcelona.....but you are right.

Whelan is fine for 20 - 25 starts a season and then coming on as a sub to close games out. Problem here is our injuries and poor options make him a starter most games and he really cant keep up with schedule

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Whelan is fine for 20 - 25 starts a season and then coming on as a sub to close games out. Problem here is our injuries and poor options make him a starter most games and he really cant keep up with schedule

No he is not. For a DM he does way to little of the dirty work and often backs off, when an opponent is coming at him with the ball and often he is way to far of the man he should be covering when we are under pressure.

• Like 4

Â