Glenn Whelan

Jareth

4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I can't recall anyone on here saying that Whelan is a spectacular talent.

He's a decent pro who has 'done a job' for us.

Do we now need better than him to move on? Of course we do, but I don't think he's been quite the failure that some people are making out.

100%

Similar views were put forward in The early 80's with regards to Des Bremner....not saying Whelan was as good as Des , but pro rata,similar things were being said.

I think, in the main, its a misunderstood position and the skills required are not readily appreciated by the fans, more appreciated by the players themselves.

its not a case of inverted snobbery, but i think, its more likely that the discerning fan will appreciate the work more.

We just need a better version, moving forward, but just asking another midfielder to do his type of work is not so simple.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He can do a job when Grealish is injured.

Fact is we are a much better team without him though, i know it sounds harsh but it's just the truth.

He's a bit of a different player to Grealish...

Played in the right games he's a very good footballer. Helped to close out the game tonight as Grealish tired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

He's a bit of a different player to Grealish...

Played in the right games he's a very good footballer. Helped to close out the game tonight as Grealish tired.

Not what i meant.

When Grealish is out Hourihane get's pushed further forward and Whelan deep.

Â