• VT Supporter
4 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I can't recall anyone on here saying that Whelan is a spectacular talent.

He's a decent pro who has 'done a job' for us.

Do we now need better than him to move on? Of course we do, but I don't think he's been quite the failure that some people are making out.

100%

• VT Supporter

Similar views were put forward in The early 80's with regards to Des Bremner....not saying Whelan was as good as Des , but pro rata,similar things were being said.

I think, in the main, its a misunderstood position and the skills required are not readily appreciated by the fans, more appreciated by the players themselves.

its not a case of inverted snobbery, but i think, its more likely that the discerning fan will appreciate the work more.

We just need a better version, moving forward, but just asking another midfielder to do his type of work is not so simple.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • VT Supporter
8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He can do a job when Grealish is injured.

Fact is we are a much better team without him though, i know it sounds harsh but it's just the truth.

He's a bit of a different player to Grealish...

Played in the right games he's a very good footballer. Helped to close out the game tonight as Grealish tired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilko154 said:

He's a bit of a different player to Grealish...

Played in the right games he's a very good footballer. Helped to close out the game tonight as Grealish tired.

Not what i meant.

When Grealish is out Hourihane get's pushed further forward and Whelan deep.

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â