Glenn Whelan

Jareth

He was superb today, and has actually played his role really well for the last few games. I've certainly warmed to him a whole lot, clearly miles better than Bjarnason or Jedinak when none of them looked convincing a few weeks ago. It's a real shame he's not a few years younger. Not convinced Mcginn will come straight back in at the sty.

Edited by Avcol

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

McGinn should be coming in for Hourihane, not Whelan.

It is a little harsh on Hourihane but McGinn has to come in. I think it will be a real battle next week and McGinn has all the qualities you need in a midfielder in that type of game.

For me Whelan has been our best midfielder the last few weeks though so is also nailed on to start.

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It is a little harsh on Hourihane but McGinn has to come in. I think it will be a real battle next week and McGinn has all the qualities you need in a midfielder in that type of game.

For me Whelan has been our best midfielder the last few weeks though so is also nailed on to start.

On current form I doubt if McGinn actually deserves to come in, hasn't looked great recently. 

But wouldn't be surprised to see him come in at left back if Hause has to move to the central

Whelan har certainly improved lately, and is one of the players that seems to really be trying to play Smith's style, even when we have played poorly lately. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chicken Field said:

On current form I doubt if McGinn actually deserves to come in, hasn't looked great recently. 

But wouldn't be surprised to see him come in at left back if Hause has to move to the central

Whelan har certainly improved lately, and is one of the players that seems to really be trying to play Smith's style, even when we have played poorly lately. 

There is no chance McGinn is left back 

9 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Mcginn over recent months has had to do the jobs of others because tbey have not been up to scratch with there roles.

If anything he's worn out from it all and ritely so.

Whelan does a job that Grealish, Hourihane and McGinn can't do - I don't think he's in the frame to be dropped. He could be, but playing three attack minded midfielders would be a big risk. I think it's a choice between Hourihane and McGinn - a really tough choice for Smith - but I think Whelan's position is probably safe.

• Like 1

Didn’t see the game but glad to hear he’s still putting in good performances. 

Not sure hes he’s got enough credit for Grealish’s goal though. I know it’s a set piece, but it’s an absolutely pin point pass. Right into Grealish’s stride. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure hes he’s got enough credit for Grealish’s goal though. I know it’s a set piece, but it’s an absolutely pin point pass. Right into Grealish’s stride. 

It’s a great ball, you should see his celebration (I haven’t seen it on the replays). He was going mental down in the corner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nigel said:

We have got 3 hard games in a week coming up, it's great to have options to freshen up.

We don't really have options for DM. It's only Whelan that can do it. 

Bjarnasson is awful and father time caught up with Jedinak.

There is no replacement for Jack. 

The only changeable options are McGinn and Hourihane but McGinn doesn't provide the goals or assists.

Not sure about Carroll at DM, he is a bit powderpuff and I fully expect Lansbury to be injured again given how strong the wind is this week.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That looked a training ground move.  Looked rehearsed. Can't believe they stood off Grealish that much

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That looked a training ground move.  Looked rehearsed. Can't believe they stood off Grealish that much

Oh definitely. But even so, it's still a superb pass.

Look at the defender almost getting a header in before it reaches Grealish. If that pass is 6 inches shorter then that's not a goal.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Scholes scored one for United back in the day from a Beckham assist. Very similar. 

If Whelan scores from halfway next week he truly might be the new Beckham 😁

On 03/03/2019 at 13:51, Stevo985 said:

Whelan's corners are actually decent, we've scored from a few I think.

Makes the decision to give him the ball for the penalty against Preston slightly less bizarre.....slightly.

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whelan's corners are actually decent, we've scored from a few I think.

Makes the decision to give him the ball for the penalty against Preston slightly less bizarre.....slightly.

He gets way too much hate, the issue is his legs are gone but for me there is no doubting his footballing ability. He can play one touch, and he can ping the ball about, and he does try and fire the ball forwards into feet...he isn't an Ashley Westwood and from day one he has been miles ahead of BB.

• Like 3

Â