Glenn Whelan

Jareth

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He gets way too much hate, the issue is his legs are gone but for me there is no doubting his footballing ability. He can play one touch, and he can ping the ball about, and he does try and fire the ball forwards into feet...he isn't an Ashley Westwood and from day one he has been miles ahead of BB.

Agreed! Gets far too much stick IMO.  We know his better days are behind him but he's a great professional. I made him my MOTM against Derby!

p,s.  Hope Mrs Whelan reads this!

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He gets way too much hate, the issue is his legs are gone but for me there is no doubting his footballing ability. He can play one touch, and he can ping the ball about, and he does try and fire the ball forwards into feet...he isn't an Ashley Westwood and from day one he has been miles ahead of BB.

I dunno man, easy to wax lyrical after he's put in a good showing.

The trick is to keep that mindset after he (and the team) have a shocker.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Scholes scored one for United back in the day from a Beckham assist. Very similar. 

If Whelan scores from halfway next week he truly might be the new Beckham 😁

Beckham wishes he could pull off the look of a tarmacer as well as Whelan.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He gets way too much hate, the issue is his legs are gone 

I've been watching him for Ireland for years and his legs haven't gone, they were always like that. His problem is that he slows the game down far too often and is usually extremely cautious/limited in his range of passing. Sometimes he plays well but overall he's always been the same as he has been for us, mediocre. 

• Like 1

Started off well, collected some vital balls, then drifted apart and was bad on passes, made 3 very bad passes in a high pressure game which is not good at all..

16 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Not playing McGinn from the start almost cost us. When he came on his influence was immediate. Whelan simply isn’t in Mcginns league.

We won the game, so it looks as if not starting mcGinn worked!

• Like 1

While his qualities comes best to use when we don't have the ball the state of his legs means he performes better when we are on the front foot and in possession so he can rest a bit.

Useful rotation option for the remainder but McGinn if possible 

I thought he did ok today, as he usually does. He is also very professional, a calming influence and clearly someone who cares. He always fronts up which is exactly what you need on days like today.

• Like 3

Can't believe people on here says he played well. He offered nothing in this game defensively nor offensively.

Back to the same old static Whelan today, everytime he comes up against pace he get's so exposed, actually felt sad for him at times because it isn't really his fault, he's just so slow and not up to the pace of the game.

It was so obvious when McGinn came on we're such a better team when we play Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

We won the game, so it looks as if not starting mcGinn worked!

You can turn it around and say if McGinn started we might have won 3-0, i'm not a psychic but i think we would have battered them if McGinn had started.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I thought he did ok today, as he usually does. He is also very professional, a calming influence and clearly someone who cares. He always fronts up which is exactly what you need on days like today.

He was not a calming influence at all today. He was awful and rightly subbed

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He was not a calming influence at all today. He was awful and rightly subbed

Fair enough. I totally disagree. You really thought he was awful?! Surprised by that assessment.

Didn’t think any of them were awful. The two wide players were the worst performers in my view but it is impossible to judge how much their performance was affected by the incident! Difficult environment for the players and I thought Glenn stood up pretty well.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Fair enough. I totally disagree. You really thought he was awful?! Surprised by that assessment.

Didn’t think any of them were awful. The two wide players were the worst performers in my view but it is impossible to judge how much their performance was affected by the incident! Difficult environment for the players and I thought Glenn stood up pretty well.

If he wasn't awful then why did we suddenly play them off the park and looked a whole different side once McGinn came on for him?

Whelan is a liability and the sooner we get rid the better.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

He’s not been too bad lately but he was awful today. He panics when closed down quickly and just hoofs the ball, hardly a calming presence. He misplaced passes in the worst areas and just doesn’t have any legs left. His commitment is great and I’d have loved him 5 or 6 years ago, but needs replacing.

• Like 1

Â