Glenn Whelan

Jareth

He hasn't exactly had a bad season IMO, he has filled in to decent effect, given his obvious limitations. However it's clear as day that we shouldn't have this sort of player at the club, far too old and far too limited, we need younger, fitter and more dynamic players. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He hasn't exactly had a bad season IMO, he has filled in to decent effect, given his obvious limitations. However it's clear as day that we shouldn't have this sort of player at the club, far too old and far too limited, we need younger, fitter and more dynamic players. 

I agree, I think his experience and reading of the game is covering for a lot of the physical limitations in movement.  That means he's helping, but he's not providing the kind of dynamic play we need in this system.  it's strange to say he is both a liability and filling a useful role at the same time, but i think it's true.  I have hope for Carroll based on 10 minutes.  But 10 minutes isn't enough to feel any confidence.

• Like 3

Think it helps him immensely coming on like this knowing he's only going to be on the field for 30-40 minutes.

When he's in the starting 11 he knows he'll have to preserve energy to make it past half time and to the 60th minute or so meaning he's often a step away from where he should be. Almost but not quite tracking the player he should be, and a bit too cautious both with and without the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Think it helps him immensely coming on like this knowing he's only going to be on the field for 30-40 minutes.

When he's in the starting 11 he knows he'll have to preserve energy to make it past half time and to the 60th minute or so meaning he's often a step away from where he should be.

Really interesting thought. I can see that going through his head absolutely yes.

I don't know what we do v Brentford. If he starts he'll get overrun. But he probably should. Carroll maybe?

The stick this guy gets!!! Ridiculous. Showed he is 3x the player Jedinak is. 

He changed the game last night. 3-0 down, gets a yellow card, showing the team they're need more fight. His shoulders and back must be hurting today with all that carrying last night 😂😂😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think today showed what he was about. He is no Iniesta but gets a **** job done but as not t spectacular he is an easy target 

I think the problem is that he's no longer a Whelan either.

He's not the player he once was, but he's smart enough to know it. Think withing his limitations he's an intelligent player, but his body doesn't let him do what his head want's and the trade off is either an alibi player for 60-65 minutes, or like yesterday him at his current best for a shorter spell.

He get's the job done, almost. But only for a short period of time. 30-40 minute cameos once a week is probably the best way to utilize him.

I never thought I'd ever say Glenn Whelan changed the game for us but he did. 

His legs might be gone but he is still our best DM. 

51 minutes ago, sne said:

He get's the job done, almost. But only for a short period of time. 30-40 minute cameos once a week is probably the best way to utilize him.

I don't necessarily disagree with that but who plays there for the other 60 mins?

BB and Jedinak are both awful, Whelans legs have gone but he is still the best option imo. 

Â