Glenn Whelan

Jareth

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was easily our best midfielder last night. And I'm including John McGinn.

Between him and Mings for man of the match.

Mings or kalanic for that one Whelen is no where near it.

It was like where's wally, if there was man of the match for that then it's be between him or hourihane..

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Mings or kalanic for that one Whelen is no where near it.

It was like where's wally, if there was man of the match for that then it's be between him or hourihane..

He made more passes than anyone else on our team. Second highest pass completion. Second highest number of tackles, second highest number of interceptions. Highest clearances. 3rd highest number of touches  

But sure, he was invisible 🙄

Edited by Stevo985

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He made more passes than anyone else on our team. Second highest pass completion. Second highest number of tackles, second highest number of interceptions. Highest clearances. 3rd highest number of touches  

He wasn't terrible wednesday night. 

I think the above highlights our problem. If Whelan is above others in those stats its no wonder we can't keep the ball, or create decent chances. 

He wasn't the major issue, our midfield is woeful at the minute and him being the best of a bad bunch shows how desperate we are for change

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

These aren’t right - but then I’m also not about to praise a central midfielder for attempting 38 passes with a success rate of 76%. He was woeful, as was everyone else. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're obsessed.

The guy played well. I'm giving him his dues. Plenty of other people pointing out in this thread that he played well.

True and I didn’t see the game so can’t comment on his performance. I’ll happily compliment him if I think he played well. 

But if he has a shocker you go quiet on this thread or forgive him as he has apparently been so good in the past. What do you love about him so much? I’m intrigued to know? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

On 15/02/2019 at 05:51, Stevo985 said:

Second highest pass completion. Second highest number of tackles, second highest number of interceptions.

So that's what people were on about when they were saying whelan was a number 2!

Edited by Made In Aston

On 15/02/2019 at 20:12, Vive_La_Villa said:

True and I didn’t see the game so can’t comment on his performance. I’ll happily compliment him if I think he played well. 

But if he has a shocker you go quiet on this thread or forgive him as he has apparently been so good in the past. What do you love about him so much? I’m intrigued to know? 

That’s not true. I criticise him like I criticise any player who plays badly. You can read back the thread and check if you like. 

On 14/02/2019 at 11:46, Stevo985 said:

I'd love to see stats on how much our players run. I can never find them.

I bet they would surprise some people.

anyone can run and hide and look like they are busy, shadowing and non committal play, minimum contact etc...it can fool the eye of some.

Its all about effective running and prudent positioning and reading situations, making things work for you....Paul McGrath with his dodgy Knees.

but you know that, too.

I like the possession ones too....where you can play the ball around at the back and hurt no one and just run the stats up.

Watching a game....beats all the stats for me....but hey, I am just an old Dinosaur.

• Like 1

On 17/02/2019 at 12:27, TRO said:

anyone can run and hide and look like they are busy, shadowing and non committal play, minimum contact etc...it can fool the eye of some.

Its all about effective running and prudent positioning and reading situations, making things work for you....Paul McGrath with his dodgy Knees.

but you know that, too.

I like the possession ones too....where you can play the ball around at the back and hurt no one and just run the stats up.

Watching a game....beats all the stats for me....but hey, I am just an old Dinosaur.

Exactly. The stats are just headlines, read into the detail and he is not a very effective player in the slightest. Tidy and competent, most of the time, but only runs backwards and passes the ball backwards. Just watch his body shape next time he receives the ball.

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
Typo
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Exactly. The stats are just headlines, read into the detail and he is not a very effective player in the slightest. Tidy and competent, most of the time, but only runs backwards and passes the ball backwards. Just watch his body shape next time he receives the ball.

He seems to be averaging around 75% of his passes going forward as opposed to backwards. But sure, just "headlines" I assume.

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He seems to be averaging around 75% of his passes going forward as opposed to backwards. But sure, just "headlines" I assume.

Where do you find these more detailed stats? (Not questioning them mind)

Been trying to find heatmaps and stuff like that but it's a pain in the A.

Not really looking to spend money on an Opta Stats registration :D Foot stats are mostly for team stats, as is SKY

So far I think Who Scored has the best player stats I've found, but they are still lacking,

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Where do you find these more detailed stats? (Not questioning them mind)

Been trying to find heatmaps and stuff like that but it's a pain in the A.

Not really looking to spend money on an Opta Stats registration :D Foot stats are mostly for team stats, as is SKY

So far I think Who Scored has the best player stats I've found, but they are still lacking,

whoscored is the go to.

The general player stats give you stuff like pass usccess, interceptions, tackles etc

The chalkboards are where you need to go for more detailed stats. For the above I just looked at Whelans last few games. It tells you how many passes he made and how many were forward. He seemed to fluctuate between the low to high 70's so I just plumped for the middle.

It's a pretty meaningless stat, especially as a player in that position will often have to pass sideways or backwards. That's what they're there for. I bet Sergio Busquest passes the ball backwards a lot.

Just annoys me when people say stuff like "he only passes backwards" when it's demonstrably untrue. It's just a lazy cliche that people fall back on.

I don't even think Whelan is that good, he's just one of those players I feel gets a lot of unwarranted stick and feel a bit of a duty to defend him. I'd be more than happy to see him leave the club in the summer.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

whoscored is the go to.

The general player stats give you stuff like pass usccess, interceptions, tackles etc

The chalkboards are where you need to go for more detailed stats. For the above I just looked at Whelans last few games. It tells you how many passes he made and how many were forward. He seemed to fluctuate between the low to high 70's so I just plumped for the middle.

It's a pretty meaningless stat, especially as a player in that position will often have to pass sideways or backwards. That's what they're there for. I bet Sergio Busquest passes the ball backwards a lot.

Just annoys me when people say stuff like "he only passes backwards" when it's demonstrably untrue. It's just a lazy cliche that people fall back on.

I don't even think Whelan is that good, he's just one of those players I feel gets a lot of unwarranted stick and feel a bit of a duty to defend him. I'd be more than happy to see him leave the club in the summer.

Cheers!

I spent yesterday evening trying to find a heatmap for Higuain to no avail  :D 

1 minute ago, sne said:

Cheers!

I spent yesterday evening trying to find a heatmap for Higuain to no avail  :D 

Here

Scroll down to the interactive box thing halfway down and click heatmap. Then unfilter everyone and refilter on just Higuain.

• Thanks 1

Â