Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter
29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

You can turn it around and say if McGinn started we might have won 3-0, i'm not a psychic but i think we would have battered them if McGinn had started.

We 'might' have lost 3-0 with McGinn starting...we 'did' win with him starting on the bench!

Edited by Nigel
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/03/2019 at 19:14, villa89 said:

I've been watching him for Ireland for years and his legs haven't gone, they were always like that. His problem is that he slows the game down far too often and is usually extremely cautious/limited in his range of passing. Sometimes he plays well but overall he's always been the same as he has been for us, mediocre. 

Absolutely agree - someone on here tries hard to be clever - she tells us all how we should appreciate the skills of this guy.

No he is an ordinary footballer - always has been.

Credit must be given to his professional and his ability to keep himself fit - but beyond this please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt it was the right decision to start Whelan as he performed well in the previous match however McGinn certainly offers more to us from an attacking sense and deserves to play in the next one.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dave J said:

Absolutely agree - someone on here tries hard to be clever - she tells us all how we should appreciate the skills of this guy.

No he is an ordinary footballer - always has been.

Credit must be given to his professional and his ability to keep himself fit - but beyond this please?

Always has been... has more PL and international appearances than any player out on that pitch.

I am guessing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You can turn it around and say if McGinn started we might have won 3-0, i'm not a psychic but i think we would have battered them if McGinn had started.

How many more points would we have?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter

He had a good first half but then had that period in the second half when he badly misplaced a few passes (seemingly) in a row. Was rightly subbed after that.

I'd expect McGinn to come in for him in the next game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Always has been... has more PL and international appearances than any player out on that pitch.

I am guessing.

That's not actually a great appraisal - given both teams current predicament imo 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think he played well but Hourihane was far less involved outside of his shot that hit the bar, not clear to me that we drop Whelan for McGinn, apart form Whelan's capacity to play twice in four days.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think one of the most important roles of a DM is to hold the team's shape - always be available to receive passes at the back of an attack, or from short passes out from the defence, and be in a good position to tackle and intercept. Whelan does that pretty well imo, and certainly a lot better than anyone else we've tried in that position this season. He's calm receiving the ball under pressure, which you can't say for most of our midfielders.

On the flip side, I also agree that his pace and general signs of ageing make him a limited footballer. We need to look around for a younger, sharper DM this summer, but for now I think Smith is using him appropriately.

His immediate reaction to the pitch invader was an example of why we benefit from having him on the pitch. He immediately realised that there was a risk of one of our players getting sent off -- possibly even arrested -- and made sure that didn't happen. Imagine if one of our lads had been able to really swing a few punches at him and bust his face open or knock him out? Part of us wishes that had happened, but we know it wouldn't have ended well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

Whelan played a containing game.....McGinn was brought on at the right time.

if they had of played McGinn from the start, he would have been worn out ,when he was fresh and our game needed freshness......it was prudent thinking.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
On 10/03/2019 at 20:57, Dave J said:

Absolutely agree - someone on here tries hard to be clever - she tells us all how we should appreciate the skills of this guy.

No he is an ordinary footballer - always has been.

Credit must be given to his professional and his ability to keep himself fit - but beyond this please?

He plays a containing game Dave......I get the criticisms.........but sometimes its sensible to contain.......its simply not possible to go flat out, without exposing ourselves.

He does misplace a few passes which is frustrating, but he helps to nullify the opposition too.

If we had a better quality DM he could perhaps contain and play a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TRO said:

He plays a containing game Dave......I get the criticisms.........but sometimes its sensible to contain.......its simply not possible to go flat out, without exposing ourselves.

He does misplace a few passes which is frustrating, but he helps to nullify the opposition too.

If we had a better quality DM he could perhaps contain and play a bit.

I think he starts strong and like a racehorse can, falls at the last hurdle or slowly drifts away. Somehow like Hutton I feel they can only do first half football in the championship now because they end up losing concentration and it all goes to crap with them.

His passing at one point was great then all of a sudden it went to very bad it could of cost us big time.

For me he is a sale in the summer..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TRO said:

He plays a containing game Dave......I get the criticisms.........but sometimes its sensible to contain.......its simply not possible to go flat out, without exposing ourselves.

He does misplace a few passes which is frustrating, but he helps to nullify the opposition too.

If we had a better quality DM he could perhaps contain and play a bit.

With all due respect TRO I do get this - however there is someone on here who tries to tell us that she see things in Whelan that the rest of us do not. Really ?

i see a good honest pro - who tries hard but is not good enough imo 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter
42 minutes ago, Dave J said:

With all due respect TRO I do get this - however there is someone on here who tries to tell us that she see things in Whelan that the rest of us do not. Really ?

i see a good honest pro - who tries hard but is not good enough imo 

possibly the case with more than just him....but Yeah, I too would like to see a better quality DM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think he starts strong and like a racehorse can, falls at the last hurdle or slowly drifts away. Somehow like Hutton I feel they can only do first half football in the championship now because they end up losing concentration and it all goes to crap with them.

His passing at one point was great then all of a sudden it went to very bad it could of cost us big time.

For me he is a sale in the summer..

If you are talking about Whelan, he's out of contract so he'll be leaving on a free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hornso said:

If you are talking about Whelan, he's out of contract so he'll be leaving on a free.

Either way he's gone and we can bring a more capable player in to do is role, his time is up and I thank him for his time and wish him well but we must move forward..

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â