Glenn Whelan

Jareth

50 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well we were far better protected with him on the pitch than when he went off.

One game though..

The quote you chose to use refers to two games ago trent.

I still stand by that he is too defensive minded and offers no positive impact to us as a whole over the courseof the season.

I am glad however he put in a shift tonight against the bottom of the table team.  It has appeared to have pleased a few others on here too.

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well he's apparently defensive but at the same time offers nothing. 

I don't get it either. 

But get it enough to comment on it?

Too defensive when we should have attacked.. again the comment relates to two fixtures ago.. watch the game again mate and you might just start to 'get it'. ;)

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

One game though..

The quote you chose to use refers to two games ago trent.

I still stand by that he is too defensive minded and offers no positive impact to us as a whole over the courseof the season.

I am glad however he put in a shift tonight against the bottom of the table team.  It has appeared to have pleased a few others on here too.

The post I quoted doesn’t refer to two games ago, although that may well have been what you were referring too but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to know that especially when what you wrote looks very much like a statement about the player not an individual performance.

He is negative, I’m not sure anyone would argue otherwise I certainly wouldn’t.

We are defensively better protected when he plays because he shields the back four.

He isn’t my sort of player, far from it and I don’t particarly rate him but I don’t agree he offers us nothing which was your point.

I don’t think anyone would argue he is anything other than an extremely average and limited player though.

7 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

The post I quoted doesn’t refer to two games ago, although that may well have been what you were referring too but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to know that especially when what you wrote looks very much like a statement about the player not an individual performance.

He is negative, I’m not sure anyone would argue otherwise I certainly wouldn’t.

We are defensively better protected when he plays because he shields the back four.

He isn’t my sort of player, far from it and I don’t particarly rate him but I don’t agree he offers us nothing which was your point.

I don’t think anyone would argue he is anything other than an extremely average and limited player though.

It would beg the question.. is he looking good at the moment cause we are playing about average as a whole?

I am pleased we have someone like him as a squad player but his perfomances for me in a Villa shirt are avg. 5.5-6.0 per game.

You know when you played football over the years or as a kid. There was alway one player that had no real ability but everybody hated playing against him because he was everywhere and always in your face. 

You would rather have him on your team instead even though it was s**t.  

Thats our man. 

Agree with both of these post above only I'll add that as he's getting on a bit, soon turning 34 his flaws are getting a bit more visible and he's not quite as good at his main strength anymore.

Still doing a job this season. Not sure he'll be able to next season as he has no actual footballing ability to fall back on when his legs are gone.

I put him as my MotM in the vote today.  Adomah will get the headlines, but I'm happy to have been proved wrong by Whelan - and not for the first time.

With Terry out, his role shielding a back four that are getting used to playing together is even more important.  He seemed to thrive on the responsibility today.  As much as Ipswich were putting themselves about, none of them seemed to fancy it against Whelan.

More like this please!

Â