Glenn Whelan

Jareth

You really are only as good as your last game on VT aren't you?

The guy has been one of our best players for the past 6 weeks. He makes one shocking mistake and suddenly he's the worst player in the world.

2 minutes ago, lp_villa830 said:

All players make mistakes, but as a very expierenced senior pro that was a shocking choice to make. 

I'd love to know what his thinking was. 

It's not really a mystery is it?

He didn't see the Derby player. If that player wasn't there then it's a simple back pass. But he was.

It's not like he saw the player and thought "I'm gonna make this pass anyway"

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He didn't see the Derby player. If that player wasn't there then it's a simple back pass. But he was.

But it looks like he passed it to him. It was inch perfect. Maybe he had a moment of madness and thought it was a Villa player. It does happen sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd have agreed, if he hadnt been looking at exactly where he passed it too (Im in no way saying he did it purposely) and the fact he had time to bring it down or just knock it out wide to Taylor. 

I just think a player of his expierence should be showing a bit more composure and/or awareness. 

• Like 1

Are you guys really suggesting he deliberately passed it to a Derby player?

seriously?

he didn’t see him. It happens. Yes he should be more aware. But so should Steven gerrard and he did the same thing a couple of times. 

15 minutes ago, lp_villa830 said:

I'd have agreed, if he hadnt been looking at exactly where he passed it too (Im in no way saying he did it purposely) and the fact he had time to bring it down or just knock it out wide to Taylor. 

I just think a player of his expierence should be showing a bit more composure and/or awareness. 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

seriously?

he didn’t see him. It happens. Yes he should be more aware. But so should Steven gerrard and he did the same thing a couple of times. 

No. I just expect more from him. 

1 minute ago, lp_villa830 said:

No. I just expect more from him. 

We all do.

I'd expect more from Sam Johnstone if he threw the ball into his own net. But these things happen.

I just don't see the big mystery around it. "what was he thinking?". He wasn't thinking anything. He was passing it back to his keeper and didn't expect their player to be there.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

seriously?

He could have thought it was a Villa player.

15 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Compare neves to whelan its like comparing pound land to waitrose. 

But why compare them, they play entirely different roles, in different teams and was signed under some suspect financing.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You really are only as good as your last game on VT aren't you?

The guy has been one of our best players for the past 6 weeks. He makes one shocking mistake and suddenly he's the worst player in the world.

I was thinking the same. We are 5th in the league and Whelan has been a vital component in getting us there.

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

But why compare them, they play entirely different roles, in different teams and was signed under some suspect financing.

I was thinking the same. We are 5th in the league and Whelan has been a vital component in getting us there.

Because neves is 20x better than whelan than what he does thats why wolvws are where they are and we are where we are.

They dont actually play different roles either. They spend 15m on neves and we spend 12m on McCormack thats why we are stuck here wasted money on garbage like that and tishbola thats why are forced to sign poor players like whelan and watch him make stupid mistakes each week

46 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He was shocking yesterday and not for the first time. He is the epitome of an average clogger, can't stand the sight of him.

I agree here, not sure why we signed him, although its what we have always done, sign half arsed players to play in the most important positions.

To say he has been a vital component in our play is truly shocking, he is so inconsistent.

On 16/12/2017 at 20:32, villa89 said:

I didn't see the game today but this is always the case. He's unable to be creative in midfield, forward passes aren't part of his repetoire.

Exactly my words, I have said that the whole time...

On 16/12/2017 at 23:30, Demitri_C said:

Im sick to death seeing whelan making stupid mistakes. Misplace passing, stupid back passes. The guy is a complete liability. We will never get promoted with players like whelan in the side.  He has no attacking/positive instinct.  9/10 his passes are backwards away from goal. He slows down play and plays like he has concrete in his boots.

I seen and had enough of him i want him replaced in January. Its not one mistake its countless and todays one cost us dearly

But his passer rating is over 80% :huh::ph34r:

27 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

But his passer rating is over 80% :huh::ph34r:

Yeah of the 20% he misplaces its always in dangerous positions. I really want whelan to explain what the hell he was trying to achieve with that pass. ive watched it so many times. what the hell was he trying to do? I just dont get why he did that pass it was complete suicide 

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah of the 20% he misplaces its always in dangerous positions. I really want whelan to explain what the hell he was trying to achieve with that pass. ive watched it so many times. what the hell was he trying to do? I just dont get why he did that pass it was complete suicide 

:crylaugh:

I just don't understand why people are finding it so difficult to fathom this.

It was a backpass to the keeper. he didn't realise the Derby player was there.

What's so hard to understand?

It's a terrible mistake, and he SHOULD have had enough awareness to see the Derby player instead of playing the pass blind. But I don't get why people are finding it so hard to understand.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:57, lexicon said:

His passing from that game:

Joint 2nd most passes made (33). 4th most accurate (79%). 

Hourihane - 23 passes,  61%. 

Really wasn't that bad and I think his reputation for poor passing is preceding him somewhat. 

The trouble with this stat is you are comparing apples with bananas.

Whelan makes 5-10 yard passes usually sideways or back to the keeper. Hourihane is the more creative of the 2 so he tries forward passes and throughballs which are more likely to get intercepted. So when a Whelan pass fails it stands out more as it is a much simpler pass.

This isnt a dig at Whelan, as he isnt in the team to create chances, but if both he and Hourihane were always just passing sideways and backwards then we wouldnt get anywhere. 

These kind of stats can be easily misguided without looking at the bigger picture. If looking at stats alone, players like Westwood and Cleverly would make you believe they are the best central midfield pairing in the world due to their passing completion, but in reality they would create no chances between them.

Â