Glenn Whelan

Jareth

21 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I was not convinced at first, but last few games he has been very good.

I was convinced at first, in fact very disappointed when the transfer dragged on.

However, He is not eye candy and in some games even I thought he struggled, but then I reminded myself he has only just joined us and needs to understand how we play and where everyone is.

We still do a bit of stretching for too many balls in midfield, but we will get better.

On 02/11/2017 at 17:19, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Might be better if they actually went to watch the matches. 

Glenn Whelan has turned it around for sure. I'm not remotely surprised. 

I agreed DDID... I’ve only been to 4 games this year, but I’ve watched every other home game, and most of the aways (not that it’s a competition but to make assertions from a text commentary or a 3 min highlight reel is just nonesense). Whelan isn’t perfect, he tires later in games, and he doesn’t necessarily play the ‘eye candy’ pass and that’s why he’s playing for us at this stage in his career and this stage in our league position, BUT he breaks up opposition play very well, he often presents an out ball for the back four (they don’t always take it obv), and he passes cleverly and does the ugly stuff very well. 

He’s a quality player, and he’s probably the opposite of players like Adama; ugly and hard working vs all show and no substance. 

I think mostly it's poor distribution. There were a few moments yesterday when Whelan and Hutton were knocking it back and forth to each other wanting the other to move it forwards, my heart sank. Jedi may be needed at CB so we'll be stuck with Whelan a bit longer. Hopefully Grealish or COH can play more and try to collect the ball from him.

12 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think mostly it's poor distribution. There were a few moments yesterday when Whelan and Hutton were knocking it back and forth to each other wanting the other to move it forwards, my heart sank. Jedi may be needed at CB so we'll be stuck with Whelan a bit longer. Hopefully Grealish or COH can play more and try to collect the ball from him.

I think grealish could be the key - whelan I think will be a regular figure but we need that extra quality in midfield that jack could provide 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TrentVilla said:

Jack maybe but not Jedi in my view.

First 2 or three things Jedi did was spray the ball out wide that started our attacks which Whelan would never do. But I get it that Jedi will lose the ball more often. I just wish Whelan didn't fall over every 2 seconds.

Â