Glenn Whelan

Jareth

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im obviously talking about his overall game not just his height! Whelan was no way motm for me. His passing was terrible. Lucky that slip never cost us. Have noticeded he tends to slip quite often in games. Bit clumsy.

His passing from that game:

Joint 2nd most passes made (33). 4th most accurate (79%). 

Hourihane - 23 passes,  61%. 

Really wasn't that bad and I think his reputation for poor passing is preceding him somewhat. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lexicon said:

His passing from that game:

Joint 2nd most passes made (33). 4th most accurate (79%). 

Hourihane - 23 passes,  61%. 

Really wasn't that bad and I think his reputation for poor passing is preceding him somewhat. 

Im not excusing hourihane he was really crap too.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hourihane was crap but also by nature plays riskier passes designed to create chances so not really a good comparison at all. 

While the part about playing riskier passes is true, I don't think it's that bad a comparison because Hourihane is considered to be a good passer of the ball and I don't see many people slagging him off for his terrible passing. At any rate, I don't think 83% passing success rate (his overall this season) is 'terrible' for a CDM. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hourihane was crap but also by nature plays riskier passes designed to create chances so not really a good comparison at all. 

He played the riskiest pass yesterday and got lucky :P 

• Like 1

According you WhoScored we averaged 79 long balls a game last year, that’s 17th in the ‘most long balls’ table, with Norwich and Newcastle just above us, and Reading, Blackburn and Ipswich making up the three most long ball teams.

And so far this year WhoScored has us playing an average of 67 long balls a game which is 21st out of 24 teams in the ‘most long balls’ table... the top three are Reading, Ipswich and Bristol with 85, 84 and 83.

WhoScored

Doesn't sound like we actually do play that many long balls, at least comparatively speaking with the rest of the league, at least much below the average. I think people just filling the match thread with the word ‘hoof’ perhaps makes people think we play more than we do... maybe, I’m no statistician. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chances created is probably a more relevant and revealing stat. 390 last season which was equal 12th, only 34 more than QPR who were in 20th and 133 less than Fulham who were 1st. This season so far we're equal 11th with 125, already 60 behind Brentford in 1st and 20 ahead of Bolton in 20th.

16 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

With long ball tactics that Bruce uses, nobodies pass accuracy is going to be great on the team.  Add to that a lazy player on loan from spurs who didnt want the ball its def not going to be good.

To the long ball tactics suit whelan because he doesn't have to show for the ball or pass it around in the middle of the park. Ireland have played the same way for years and it means his weaknesses aren't exposed. Put him in a side that want to pass it about and keep possession and he'd be horrendous.

He looks a lot less edgey now, looks settled to me and doing what I expected of him.  Always in the right position, getting a block in, tackle in, toe in, an interception. Then under pressure or in tight spaces his touch looks a lot more composed and his passing a lot calmer.

Excellent.

• Like 2

I repeat what I have said before, he is a proper midfielder. As much as I like Jedi, you can see the difference between the two of them, Jedi is immense at winning the ball, any ball dropping in to out half he wins, but then when it comes to passing more than just a easy pass he gets exposed. Whelan is not as good in the air, but he seems to make so good decisions all the time, a very reliable and intelligent midfielder who also picks out good forward passes.

It seems to be a good tactic if we want to close the games to put in Jedi behind the midfield two, letting Whelan and Hourihane play a bit further up the pitch. It's nice to see that we have plenty of options in CM now.

Â