Glenn Whelan

Jareth

The bloke is definitely growing on me. I thought he was shot for the first couple of months, the lad looked crap. 

But he seems to be getting stronger as the season goes on. Becoming an important player. 

What I thought he brought was a presence on the pitch. We now have a number of players like that, by which I mean, proper blokes who have experience and a bit of nous. They’re aggressive and do things like always trying to pinch a yard or two and aren’t afraid to moan at the ref. I know that’s not always good to see, but I’m afraid that is the way the game is played now. What we lack in technical ability we can make up in other ways. When it comes to a little gamesmanship, Bruce played under the best and it shows.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never ever play for our cub again you absolute loser.

why would you play a 40 yard back pass back to your keeper? Why????!!

the guys shit I had more concerns when we signed him and I am fed up of his constant mistakes he makes. Just drop this clown 

40 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He had a shocker today. 50% of his passes were backwards when there were forward simple options available.

That is lazy and shows a lack of confidence on the ball, not ideal for a centre midfielder 

I have to be honest and I am not trying to defend him ( GW), because i haven't seen the game......but If I was in midfield going in to a game without a recognised competent striker, I would not be feeling too confident either.

I have been watching Villa since 1959......I can't remember watching our team come out in such circumstances.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone other than the club as a whole.....but its shocking IMO

our motto is supposed to be "Prepared"

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Never ever play for our cub again you absolute loser.

why would you play a 40 yard back pass back to your keeper? Why????!!

the guys shit I had more concerns when we signed him and I am fed up of his constant mistakes he makes. Just drop this clown 

I'm not even sure that he was trying to play it to the keeper, it was such an inch perfect pass to the striker who was nowhere near the keeper. Temporary insanity, perhaps.

It was a shocking error, and he has indeed made several of those this season, but despite that, I think he probably deserves his place in the team on recent form. Sadly, we have others that have contributed less to our cause.

50 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

50% of his passes were backwards when there were forward simple options available.

I didn't see the game today but this is always the case. He's unable to be creative in midfield, forward passes aren't part of his repetoire.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

Compare neves to whelan its like comparing pound land to waitrose. That's why wolves are so far ahead of us. Whelan is a joke. He has never dont anything close to that assist for our own strikers. 

He is crap a clumsly mistaken ridden fool who cost us big time again today. I cant stand the bloke. Jedinak is 10x better than him

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Compare neves to whelan its like comparing pound land to waitrose. That's why wolves are so far ahead of us. Whelan is a joke. He has never dont anything close to that assist for our own strikers. 

He is crap a clumsly mistaken ridden fool who cost us big time again today. I cant stand the bloke. Jedinak is 10x better than him

Whelan is good at what he is supposed to be good at. He has a lot of appearances for a low level premier league team and a fairly low level international team. This is not meant to be disrespectful to those teams. If you have an inferior team then having Whelan sit in front of the defence, whilst the team soaks up pressure, is a good tactic. You can then look to strike on the break. This is a scenario that really suits his qualities.

If you are a better side, which we should be, then you push the defence back by having more attacking midfield players. You do not require a player to sit in front of the back four because you are dictating the play in the opposing half. In this scenario you do not require a Whelan. 

Bruce is to blame, not Whelan. Whelan does his job well. Unfortunately we do not really need him to do that job for us because we should be the aggressor not the victim!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Whelan is good at what he is supposed to be good at. He has a lot of appearances for a low level premier league team and a fairly low level international team. This is not meant to be disrespectful to those teams. If you have an inferior team then having Whelan sit in front of the defence, whilst the team soaks up pressure, is a good tactic. You can then look to strike on the break. This is a scenario that really suits his qualities.

If you are a better side, which we should be, then you push the defence back by having more attacking midfield players. You do not require a player to sit in front of the back four because you are dictating the play in the opposing half. In this scenario you do not require a Whelan. 

Bruce is to blame, not Whelan. Whelan does his job well. Unfortunately we do not really need him to do that job for us because we should be the aggressor not the victim!

That might be the case but i dont blame bruce for a stupid and idiotic passback like that. That is bloody sunday league no excuses for that.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That might be the case but i dont blame bruce for a stupid and idiotic passback like that. That is bloody sunday league no excuses for that.

Jed did exactly the same thing, it just didn't cost a goal.

Not defending Whelan, just saying.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Neither do I. Not sure what your point is! People will always make mistakes. Human nature. The point is, Whelan has a place in the game. He has been fairly successful for a reason. However, for a team looking to dominate and take the game to the opposition, he is not the man! Have better players, press high up the pitch, win more often than not. Be better than we currently are. It is predominantly attitude and application. Bruce sets us up for an arm wrestle. Result is.........we get an arm wrestle. With our resources it should not be so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Neither do I. Not sure what your point is! People will always make mistakes. Human nature. The point is, Whelan has a place in the game. He has been fairly successful for a reason. However, for a team looking to dominate and take the game to the opposition, he is not the man! Have better players, press high up the pitch, win more often than not. Be better than we currently are. It is predominantly attitude and application. Bruce sets us up for an arm wrestle. Result is.........we get an arm wrestle. With our resources it should not be so.

Im sick to death seeing whelan making stupid mistakes. Misplace passing, stupid back passes. The guy is a complete liability. We will never get promoted with players like whelan in the side.  He has no attacking/positive instinct.  9/10 his passes are backwards away from goal. He slows down play and plays like he has concrete in his boots.

I seen and had enough of him i want him replaced in January. Its not one mistake its countless and todays one cost us dearly

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im sick to death seeing whelan making stupid mistakes. Misplace passing, stupid back passes. The guy is a complete liability. We will never get promoted with players like whelan in the side.  He has no attacking/positive instinct.  9/10 his passes are backwards away from goal. He slows down play and plays like he has concrete in his boots.

I seen and had enough of him i want him replaced in January. Its not one mistake its countless and todays one cost us dearly

I think we are in danger of violently agreeing! It is unlikely that we will get promoted with him but we do not need to replace him....we do not need him full stop! I do think he has a place in the squad though. In tight games, if we are already ahead, he would be a good bench option to help close out the game. This should be a rare requirement however because not that many games should be close!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we are in danger of violently agreeing! It is unlikely that we will get promoted with him but we do not need to replace him....we do not need him full stop! I do think he has a place in the squad though. In tight games, if we are already ahead, he would be a good bench option to help close out the game. This should be a rare requirement however because not that many games should be close!

Well put my friend!

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I have to be honest and I am not trying to defend him ( GW), because i haven't seen the game......but If I was in midfield going in to a game without a recognised competent striker, I would not be feeling too confident either.

I have been watching Villa since 1959......I can't remember watching our team come out in such circumstances.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone other than the club as a whole.....but its shocking IMO

our motto is supposed to be "Prepared"

Against Boro  years ago we were so depleted we had Scimeca (excuse the spelling) up front. 

we actually won 3-1!! 

Keeping it on topic. What the hell was Whelan thinking?! Such a bizarre error. 

Â